Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Provo - What's Happening?
Hey folks... I'm an out-of-towner and have got a free afternoon from business on Tuesday. So, I'm thinking I'll hit the Lower Provo since it seems easy to get to and easy to access.

Besides weather, anyone have thoughts on what I can expect? I tend to favor nymphs and streams, so, was planning to bring stones, buggers, caddis pupa, pheasant tail, bunnies.

Any suggestions on flies, techniques and general expectations is greatly appreciated. PM's welcome and will return the favor if you ever want to fish NY/NJ.
[signature]
903 CFS - Be careful and hold on - raging river.
[signature]
Any suggestions for small stream instead?
[signature]
Most of the small streams are either high altitude and still in run-off flood stage or on private property. Like in NY you cannot trespass to access the water, there is no high water mark rule nor wetfoot rule. You simply cannot access many of the small streams that are fishable this time of year.
If your business is in Provo I would try Diamond Fork, there is access, there are numerous parking areas for anglers, it is flowing at about 90 CFS. That is still high but not as pushy. It is reported to be fishing well. It will be Browns and Cutts in the lower parts. More Cutts the farther up you go up into the 6th Water Creek area.

It's a nymphing game with the water conditions, longer the rod the better, 4-5 wt. Stoneflies, San Juan worms, Sowbugs, Blue Wing Olives in nymph, emerger and dry. Fish those yellow stones right next to the edge and have some yellow sallys handy in case a hatch breaks out. STREAMERS, you bet I would...the usual suspects will do, buggers, crayfish, anything minnow and muddlers in bead and cone.

Stay out of the water, it's just to high. You will find the river banks to be quite thick with brush. You'll just have to find openings where you can get a line in. Good luck, tell someone where you're going.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=...vZMjlpwQiU
[signature]
Thanks for your advice and suggestions. It sounds like it may be of questionable return for lugging all my gear out for an afternoon.

thanks again!
[signature]
It's a stillwater type year, most rivers are blown out.
[signature]
The act of fishing is always of questionable return...Do it, take the drive, see the land, throw the bugs...the fish are still in there and active, Don't be surprised if a 20" Brown streaks out from under the brush and takes a swipe at the 5" cutt you're fighting.
[signature]
Up to about three weeks ago, there were quite a few fly fishers at the mouth of the Provo catching white bass. Otherwise I agree with Remo--it's better to fish stillwaters. You could fly fish Deer Creek Reservoir.
[signature]
thanks for the suggestion. Is it easily fishable from the bank? The other option I could just bring spinning gear. Not my preference by far, but I also want to be pragmatic.
[signature]
You can fish Deer Creek from shore without much trouble--especially if you are willing to drive around to different spots. If you can get out during the week you should have plenty of space. I catch more smallmouths than rainbows near shore, but I really like fishing for bass on a fly rod so it's not bad.
[signature]