Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers
I had a couple of free hours yesterday afternoon so I threw my tube in the truck and drove around the west dike to the light pole looking for a couple of kitties for dinner. Started fishing by 1:30 and needed to leave by 4. Dang pesky wipers kept eating my buggers before they could get down to the cats. Ended up settling (I now know how my wife feels) for six or seven wipers and either broke off or lost that many more. Just before getting out and climbing back over the dike, I did stick a couple of cookie cutters. Kitties invited home for dinner and the wipers were all kissed on the lips and sent back for another day. Turned out to be a pretty productive afternoon.

Larry
[signature]
Nice, they are alot of fun on the fly
[signature]
[#0000FF]Disgusting! Kissing wipers on the lips? Next it will be cats...or even carp. Eyewwwww! Careful with the walleyes. At least you shouldn't give them any Tongue.

Sounds like fun anyhow. Good on ya.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD, cats are for eating, not kissing. Going to be out if town later in the week. You ought to come up early next week and we'll chase something at Willard.

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]I am anxious to get up there...or anywhere. Messed up my knee a couple of weeks ago and doctor has me on restricted activity...or surgery. I don't like knives or needles so I am grounded for a couple more weeks.

Definitely gotta check out the new conditions of higher water. Hope to start seeing some balls of shad fry soon...to verify they got off a good spawn this year. Unless they do the wiper plants will stay low.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Until this wind storm, the water was getting really clear. Could be a great year for boils if we get a good shad repro. Let me know when your headed this way. I've never fished Utah lake. I'd make a run down there when you're going.

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]The wind has really been bad down on UL the past few weeks. Almost makes it bearable to be confined to shore with the knee.

I think you could have some fun with your flyrod on UL. I used to use it a lot more. Anytime after about the first of September...when the summer water temps start dropping...there are some gorilla walleyes to be had on feathers. Plenty of nasty BIG cats and some white bass too. And if you are looking for some real hand-to-fin combat the carp are usually up slurping midges early every morning.

I have a tentative meetup scheduled with TinCan on the 21st. He is coming down with his boat. But the current wind forecast doesn't look favorable for us floater types. As soon as things quiet down (if ever) I will be heading up your way a lot before I get too serious about Utah Lake again. But we can definitely plan a gang-up trip or two on UL.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]