Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Minute ago Report of Jordandelle
Went to Jordandelle to catch perch to use as bait for the big Fish Lake Trip. Fished the Bay just down from the big lodge. In 1 hour had 8 perch and a great big 12 inch chub. Used Pink Rat Finky tipped with worm bout 20 off off shore and 25-30 feet down right off the bottom. Nice way to spend lunch. Great day out there with the sun and all!!
[signature]
Did you know it is illegal to use fish caught at one lake as bait in another?
[signature]
No thanks for the tip. I always thought that if you took the perch home and froze them you could cut up the meat for bait later. Probally shouldn't use them then.
[signature]
I may have misspoke. The rule is: [ol] [li]Bait
R657-13-12 [/li] [li] [ol] [li]Fishing is permitted with any bait, except corn, hominy or live fish. [li]Possession or use of corn or hominy while fishing is unlawful. [/li][/ol]
[li]Use or possession of any bait while fishing on waters designated artificial fly and lure only is unlawful. [li]Game fish or their parts may not be used, except for the following: [ol] [li]Dead Bonneville cisco may be used as bait only in Bear Lake. [li]Dead yellow perch may be used as bait only in: Deer Creek, Fish Lake, Echo, Gunnison, Hyrum, Johnson, Jordanelle, Newton, Pineview, Rockport, Sevier Bridge (Yuba), Utah Lake, and Willard Bay reservoirs . [li]Dead white bass may be used as bait only in Utah Lake. [li]The eggs of any species of fish, except prohibited fish, may be used. However, eggs may not be taken or used from fish that are being released. [/li][/ol]
[li]Use of live crayfish for bait is legal only on the water where the crayfish is captured. It is unlawful to transport live crayfish away from the water where captured. [li]Manufactured, human-made items that may not be digestible (e.g. rubber worms, plastic baits, sponge, etc.) that are chemically treated with food stuffs, chemical fish attractants, or feeding stimulants may not be used on waters where bait is prohibited. [/li][/ol]

It says you cannot transport crayfish, but you may be OK with perch.

Sorry for any confusion.
[signature]
I thought that perch meat was OK to use in Fish Lake. It is Cool that we have the good book to guide us. By the good book I mean the proclamation that is. Thanks for the clarification.
[signature]
[blush]ooops gotta hate that, but at least you found it and clairified it yourself before someone else did. somtimes they can be pretty harsh on ya[cool].
[signature]
Thanks for the report anglerdan. Hope you do well at fishlake.
YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE THE STATE WILDLIFE BEAURAU IS ASKING EVERYONE NOT TO TRANSPORT FISH OR THEIR PARTS FROM DEER CREEK, JORDANELLE, OR THE PROVO RIVER BECAUSE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF INFECTING NEW WATERS WITH WHIRLING DISEASE. SO I WOULD BE SET AGAINST ANY USE OF PERCH FROM JORDANELLE OR THE DEER, AS BAIT IN ANY WATERS EXCEPT THOSE FROM WHICH THEY CAME. IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO CATCH THE BAIT IN THE WATER YOU INTEND TO FISH FOR LARGER PREDATORY GAME FISH, BESIDES IT GIVES YOU A LITTLE FUN BEFORE THE WORK BEGINS, AND THE KIDS IF ANY ARE WITH YOU WOULD HAVE A BLAST REELING UP SOME YELLER FOOTBALLS. THE STATE DWR ALSO RECOMMENDS YOU WASH GEAR, CLOTHING, AND EPUIPMENT WITH WATER AT LEAST 120 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT. IF YOU THINK YOU NEED TO DO THAT WITH SOME LURES....TOSS EM IN THE DISHWASHER WITHOUT SOAP, ON A RINSE AND HOLD CYCLE. I KNOW IF IT WERE ME, I WOULD HATE TO THINK I HAD BEEN THE ONE TO SPREAD ANYTHING, ANIMAL OR BIOLOGICAL, THAT WOULD INFECT OR AFFECT ANY OF THE FISHERIES AROUND HERE NEGATIVELY. JUST A THOUHGT TO CONSIDER WHEN USING FISH MEAT FROM ONE LAKE AS BAIT IN ANOTHER.

LATERS,
[signature]
I thought salmonids (trout) or salmon were the only fish that could carry whirling disease. Is that correct or does anyone know if I am wrong.

Jed Burton
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Fish Lake has a good population of nice rainbows so his worries are legit. The perch in Fish Lake are also a 10 minute proposition also. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Something else to think about are the baits, like chubs, suckers and shiners sold in different stores. Where do they come out of?[/size][/font]
[signature]
The companies that sell them net them out of the great lakes by the millions.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The Minnow Man that sells a lot of stuff around here is based in Utah.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm not sure about him. I'd almost bet Scofield or Strawberry. The minnows up at scofield school up by the millions in the summer. I bet he uses a cast net and nails the heck out of em.
[signature]