Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
who is our resident carb expert?
So on our Lund it has the V-P 5.0 I/O that is carb'd, high rpm it works great but the idle/low rpm needs some adjustment. It stalls quite often after start-up unless it is fully warmed up, and will not maintain a low-rpm speed without stalling even after warmed up, for example if you are wanting to go 3 mph while mapping/marking an area before dropping the trolling motor to fish. As I understand it, there are separate jets for high and low rpm operation. Is there an "easy" way to tune the jet on the water for altitude?
[signature]
I think you are right but I don't think it is adjustable, unless it is a float issue. If your carb is an older one, it could be either a clogged low idle jet or a float out of adjustment. I haven't heard anything from Geezer in a while but he fixed my carb issue, if he is not available mtncat1, might be able to help. What kind of fuel do you run in your motor? Do you run any fuel additives?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I think you are right but I don't think it is adjustable, unless it is a float issue. If your carb is an older one, it could be either a clogged low idle jet or a float out of adjustment. I haven't heard anything from Geezer in a while but he fixed my carb issue, if he is not available mtncat1, might be able to help. What kind of fuel do you run in your motor? Do you run any fuel additives?[/quote]

I run ethanol-free in it. When I bought it the boat about half a tank of what we thought was 2-year old fuel in it, I added 3 cans of Seafoam and topped it off with fresh fuel, it has since had about 30 gallons put in it. If it were a fuel issue I would think it would affect the upper rpm's as well, but there is zero sputtering or fluctuation in throttle other than idle or low rpm.
[signature]
Were you having this issue right from the first day or did it come up later? I'm thinking it's a clogged low idle port, if it wasn't there when you first bought it. If this issue was there right from the start, it could be another issue but running that old fuel through it, might have caused the problem, if it wasn't there from the beginning. If Geezer is still working on carbs and sure he could fix it, have you tried sending him a PM yet?
[signature]
It kinda sounds like it is getting too much fuel at low idle, the motor loads up more when it's cold but when warmed up it's seems ok because the warm motor burns the fuel better. You might check all the hose clamps in the fuel system, it might be sucking air. If you do make adjustments to the air fuel jets make small adjustments and only adjust 1 at a time, if it does not change put it back and try adjusting the other jet.
[signature]
Couple of questions? 2barrel or 4barrel? Has anyone played with the jets or mixture screws. Do you have a black film collecting on the ground or water? More information will help get you in the right direction.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
[quote boat_guy]Couple of questions? 2barrel or 4barrel? Has anyone played with the jets or mixture screws. Do you have a black film collecting on the ground or water? More information will help get you in the right direction.[/quote]

Pretty sure it is still the factory 2 barrel carb, the caps are still over the screws with no sign of anyone adjusting things. I did swap in new plugs last week before going back to the gorge and seemed to have helped a little, but the old plugs were fouled and really should get it adjusted soon.
[signature]
What year is the boat/engine? Model, etc. Have you checked the new plugs for evidence of burning rich? Did the boat come from a lower elevation prior to you owning it? Some more troubleshooting and I think we'll get to the bottom of it.
[signature]
[quote fish_hntr]So on our Lund it has the V-P 5.0 I/O that is carb'd, high rpm it works great but the idle/low rpm needs some adjustment. It stalls quite often after start-up unless it is fully warmed up, and will not maintain a low-rpm speed without stalling even after warmed up, for example if you are wanting to go 3 mph while mapping/marking an area before dropping the trolling motor to fish. As I understand it, there are separate jets for high and low rpm operation. Is there an "easy" way to tune the jet on the water for altitude?[/quote]

It's a 1999.
[signature]
Given the year and given the symptoms, you may want to consider a carb rebuild. It's not difficult and sometimes necessary when you're experiencing these type of problems.
[signature]
One more thing to check:

Without the engine running, accelerate the throttle and look into the carb for two steady streams of fuel going into the carb. If you don't see two steady and strong streams of fuel, a rebuild is definitely needed.
[signature]
i know this is late advise but your carb is probably adjusted for low altitude . there are 2 plugs on the carb that block adjustment of fuel mixture the carb needs to be remove and the plugs cut out ,then you can adjust it to run better at idle. i
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]i know this is late advise but your carb is probably adjusted for low altitude . there are 2 plugs on the carb that block adjustment of fuel mixture the carb needs to be remove and the plugs cut out ,then you can adjust it to run better at idle. i[/quote]

I haven't messed with it since I put new plugs in, it helped a little but going to rebuild the carb soon and drill out the covers so I can adjust it.
[signature]
you don't drill them because of how they are made. on most of them you cut a grove vertically to the plug and drive them out with a pin punch. if you want i can show you how if you send me a pic of the bottom front of the carb
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]you don't drill them because of how they are made. on most of them you cut a grove vertically to the plug and drive them out with a pin punch. if you want i can show you how if you send me a pic of the bottom front of the carb[/quote]

I ordered and received a complete rebuild kit for the carb, going to clean the screen first to see if that is the issue but have the rebuild kit just in case.
[signature]