Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, our first 4 species day this year
After my failed attempt to fish Willard with TD last week, Wiperslayer and I got out there today in his boat. We launched at the South marina around 6:30 am to 76.7 degree water temps, it hit 80.7 by the time we got off the water a little after noon. Not many boaters out today but I did notice the water level has dropped about two feet and they are finally letting some water into the lake again. Water is about as clear as you ever see it at Willard. Fishing lipless cranks behind planner boards was the most productive method for us today, trolling at 2.5 mph. It was our best day on the lake this year, first fish up was a 27" carp[Sad], not the best start but hey the shunk was off[Wink]. We then caught half a dozen cats, two eyes and almost a dozen wipers. Lots of surface activity, like Fatbiker saw the other day, lots of shad, balled up on the surface, terns are eating them right off the surface without having to dive for them. Next trip I'll be taking a spinning reel, won't be long before we start seeing full on boils, Good times[cool].
[signature]
Congrats on the Willard Slam. Almost got one myself yesterday. Cats, SMB and a bluegill. It's a shame when you can't catch a wiper at Willard. This should be a great year for boils.

Larry
[signature]
We were thinking that we might catch a Small mouth too but it never happened, I think their numbers are down from all those lot water years. There were a lot of cats in the upper water column feeding on the shad, we were putting the lipless cranks about 40 ft behind our side planners, so they were likely on a few feet under the water.
[signature]
Most things I've caught recently trolling have been on my short line pole. Probably 40 to 50 feet behind the boat.

Larry
[signature]
What area are you fishing? Where were the shad schools?
[signature]
We were trolling around the island, the shad were every where, no matter where you go.
[signature]
Nice job Curt! that had to have been a great day....I've been spending my fishing hours, last 3 trips at Strawberry, and we did really good just yesterday (Wed.) but I do believe I'm ready for my second Willard trip....your 2 nice walleyes convinced me....I believe they are the Kokanee of the warm water species, a prize on any table....hope to see you soon....
[signature]
Thanks Joe, I totally agree with you about the Kokes and eyes, without a doubt the best eating of all the fish I target. When the shad are in the numbers we are seeing this year and the water is as clear as it is this year, eyes are way up in the water column feeding and if there is a little ripple on the water, it's even better.
[signature]