Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What rod?
If a guy doesn't want to break the bank on a new fly rod what are some good options. Looking for something that can do both a 5 and 6 weight in 8'6" to9' range.
Looks like many of them come in 4 sections now days. The one I've been using is only a two piece. Is there and advantage or diSadvantage between a two piece vs a 4 piece?
I've used the same Platinum fly rod for the last 23 years and its about to give up the ghost.
[signature]
4 piece fly rods are easier to travel with, easier to store. Two piece rods are lighter, often have better actions.

It is interesting that the trend in baitcasting rods, and to a somewhat lesser extent spinning rods, is one piece. They are easier to make (cheaper to make), somewhat lighter, somewhat stronger, but a real pain to even put into a vehicle (usually stored in boats).

I think I have answered the questions regarding advantages or diSadvantages of multi-piece rods, but I have avoided the question of rod choices, so far.

The answer to your question is one of what you think value is. $100 dollars to you is different then $100 to me.

Still, if I were to try to answer your question, I would look to TFO right now. I think they put out the best "value" right now.

Still, if you have a Cabela's near you, drop by and check out a few. Frankly, a "Platinum" rod of 25 years ago is probably a "Bronze" level rod of today, so you might just find that you are happy with the Cabela's or other Box Store brand name.

I am not convinced that you need to spend $800 for a good fly rod, even though I did for one of mine. I still like my 1990's custom rod, my fly rod I made myself from when Fenwick was top dog and made blanks for the custom rod maker (Fenwick World Class), and my Switch is a 4 piece Cabela's brand. I feel very good with any of them, but each fits a specific niche roll.

Good luck on your search.
Thanks, The TFO is one I have on the list to check out more so now.

I'm with you, no way am I dropping $800 buck on a rod, I'd get myself a new hunting dog before I did that. I'm looking to try and keep it under $150.
[signature]
I just picked up an echo base and am blown away at how nice it is. Some people are comparing it to 500-800 dollar rods. Another great rod is the redington path or Allen compass. I would recommend those over TFO any day. That's just my opinion and I fly fish a lot.
[signature]
I highly endorse TFO as best value. The BVK model, in particular. I worked the fishing department at Midvale Sportsman's for a few years and sold a bunch to happy customers. I own 3 TFOs myself and love them.

Jeff
[signature]
Fenwick Aetos 9' 5wt is a very nice rod. Retails $189 but on Amazon cheaper. Nice swing weight.
[signature]
Check out Allen fly fishing (allenflyfishing.com). The compass rod is a really nice rod and goes for $99 with a lifetime warranty and they offer a 30 day test drive, if you don't like it you can return it. I have several Allen rods and reels and they are all fantastic. They have great hooks too if you tie your flies.
[signature]
I just checked the details of the allen test drive program. It looks like the refund comes as store credit. just wanted to make sure I was giving you accurate info.
[signature]
I really like the RLS + combo from Cabelas. Comes with a great reel and the rod is also fantastic. You can usually get the combo for around $150, and it includes rod, reel, line, and rod/reel case. 2 friends have bought them and I have fished them both, very good system.
[signature]
Hey Chris, how ya been? Hope the bees are well.
Sportsman's carries Maxxon, which are really nice rods for the price.
With a rod- like most things- it doesn't matter what the brand is; it matters how it feels in your hands. Allen has a great reputation, but, its hard buying a rod you haven't felt first in your hands.
Technology and materials have advanced in rod making in the last 20 years, and with that has brought higher end feeling rods into more affordable price ranges. I also think one of the biggest advantages to the way rods are made now is that the consistency is a lot better. When I worked at a fly shop 20 years ago, you could pick up two of the same rods (same brand, model, wt, color), and feel a difference between them (not a lot, not all the time). My point is, that is a lot less common now.
In the end, I doubt I have been any help. I just recommend feeling the rod first. If you have a reel you plan on using, bring it and make sure it fits in the reel seat well and the balance feels good on the rod with the reel on it.
Good luck, man! Hope the fam is doing well.
Joshomaru
[signature]
Look at getting a custom rod built http://www.rdpflyrods.com/flyrods.html
I had one done and I like it the best of any of my rods under $200. 4 pc rods cast as well as 2 pc rods do now. I've fished most of the rods mentioned and the only one I like almost as well as the RDP rod is the Redington.
[signature]
[quote Browntrout]Fenwick Aetos 9' 5wt is a very nice rod. Retails $189 but on Amazon cheaper. Nice swing weight.[/quote]

Been using one of these for nymphing, in the 10' model, nice long stick that throws bead heads with indicators really well.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll let you know what I end up with.
[signature]
Don't forget to look at the Echo Carbon XL
[signature]
Cabelas or Echo rods are good quality for the money.
[signature]
I have used Sage Rods for years and loved them. But then a friend of mine gave me a Allen Compass and that was it. Better than a Sage I think and I wont use anything else now.
good luck in your quest
[signature]
Just an up date

I ended up purchasing a redington crosswater, it was one of the ones on my list but was not sold on it until I walked into Smith and Edwards and pick up a 5wt that was a two piece rather than a 4 piece. Best part was the price, $50 bucks! Put my old reel on to give it a go and it feels great. Now I just need to set up the new reel with some line and get to using it.
[signature]
I have many Sage, Winston, Orvis, Scott, anyway you see where I am going. A bunch of expensive light weight wonder sticks.
I have been fly fishing the most my life and I am old, female. I guided, taught. I have tried every aspect there is to fishing.
Ideally a nice 10' 6 wt light to the touch, but then the short rods have a great place.
I fish every day. And the rod I always grab, is a CABELA'S CGR 5/6 weight $59. The fact is is part glass and part graphite makes it not only a great learning tool, but it can feel everything. You can use lighter tippet and let the rod do the work.
Just my opinion. But the Allen's fly fishing put out some nice sticks too for best bang for the buck.
I will add I use an Icon reel but I do not skimp on line. I am using Shark Skin...still.
[signature]