Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gillnetters in Long Beach!!??
Hello everyone,<br><br>I just heard there are gilletters just outside of the Long Beach Harbor by the lighthouse area. I thought gillnetting was illegal? I got the report from Nick G. on the CruSador out of Pierpoint landing. He said they had white poles with a black flags. Are these gillnetters? <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Kiyo<br>www.baytubers.com<br><br>come catch a legal Halibut!<br>www.baytubers.com
Don't Ask Direction's To LAW ENFORCEMENT HERE? Where did this come from? Where in my post did I say this??? LOL. You must be the gillnetter.<br><br>Kiyo<br><br>come catch a legal Halibut!<br>www.baytubers.com
If gill netting is illegal in your area you should write your state rep.'s to outlaw the possession of gill nets to fully protect the environment.<br><br>Unfortunately this will make commercial fishing less profitable if the commercial fisheries have to man their nets. One boat can handle a dozen gill nets, but it handles only one troll net. <br><br>Michigan is slowly working on this its self, though gill netting is still allowed in Michigan waters.<br><br> They are usually unmanned netting systems that allow the "perp.s" to not bee present and every thing in the water gets caught up in it and dies.<br><br>The only responsible netting is troll netting and then only if the commercial fishermen throw back what it is that they are not suppose to have and not put them on ice.<br><br>If there is a shortage of certain types of fish in your area this is the real cause, for they pull up whole generation of fish families as the schools pass through the net, prohibiting them from returning to their respective reproductive sites.<br><br>Their excuse is that can’t possibly catch them all (true) however they can catch enough of a breading population of a certain area this causes and causes an eco hazard to specific areas. <B>(Such is the plight of the Oregon Salmon)</B> There aren’t 20 million fishermen standing on shore of the river banks to catch their limits on a daily basis but there is however a large number of commercial fishermen off shore (foreign and domestic alike) pulling them in before they have a chance to return to breed. <br><br>In My opinion (as I am very opinionated) I believe that commercial fisherman (both foreign and domestic) should pay for the free fish they are taking. Just like the lumber industries if they are going to take large amounts of earthly resources they should have to put it back. (NOT OUT OF STATE OR GAME FUNDS) paying back to the system by producing new fisheries to replace what is needed in nature. <br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
Kiyo,<br> If I am reading your post correctly, you are trying to find out if the boat flag ID is infact A gillneter, and I am asuming that if you get confermation you intend to report it. But on the other hand you do not want to report somthing that you are not shure of. Am I correct on this ?<br><br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher.
Yes, I was wondering if it was gillnetters and if so, how can they still be gillnetting when I thought it was illegal now? I didn't see the boat but a skipper and a deckhand on a chartered boat saw it right at the mouth of the Long Beach Harbor. Isn't Gillnetting illegal in California??<br><br>Kiyo<br>www.baytubers.com<br><br>come catch a legal Halibut!<br>www.baytubers.com