Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Sat & Sun
Can't remember exactly what trip numbers these are. Wife wanted to get on the water a few hours before going to work Saturday & Sunday.
So we launched out of south marina about 7:30 Saturday
Weather was almost perfect, & bugs were almost zero. As we motored out the south channel, the missus says, "Lets just go direct over to the feed lot area" Being the more knowledgeable fisher person on the boat (and the one controlling the tiller) I say, " naw, I want to try over along the west wall light pole where TD said he had some good bites last week". She's a great fishin partner, no argument. So direct to the aforementioned local we go. The little TV screen thingy on the boat was showing lots of fish symbols all the way over. We get anchored about 30 -40 yards off the wall, baited lines in the water, and my little TV thingy must have gone on the blink, cuz all the fish disappeared. I know they're out there 'cause a bank tangler has landed at least 2 that we saw within minutes of dropping anchor. Well about an hour there and I make the command decision to weigh anchor and head almost direct south east toward the feed lot, but to salve my bruised ego, I say "lets troll our way over". So after several lure changes, speed variations, and no joy, we get to where we should have been to begin with. About 150 to 200 yards off the feed lot. And HEY ! My little TV screen is working again, showin lots of fish.

Each of us bait up a line and get them out in the water. But before I can rig up my second line, SLAM !!! First pole bends over and the reel sings. A short exciting tug o war and in the boat is the first of what turned out to be about 8 nice cookie cutter good for eating kitty cats. Seems every fish I boated, the wife would respond with one of her own. The score was tied, then her ahead, then tied, then me ahead. With 7 cats in the livewell for takin home, and only 2 worms left in the bucket, I generously took the big fat one (well, her hands are smaller than mine....[Wink] )
I hook up and boat cat #8 about 6 minutes before our time limit imposed by her needing to get to work by 2 PM. She gets the last skinny worm on her hook, and drowns it right up to the last possible second. So the day ends in a nice 4 to 4 tie, and she never even said " I told you we should have come to the feed lot first". Didn't take photos of each catch individually cause planned to take the days catch home to convert into fish taco filling.
Of course, hoping to make a bump on my cat contest posts, I measured the longest one just before filleting it. 8 fish, longest one 19.5", shortest " so no bump, but 16 nice fillets for eatin later.

Today, Sunday, got on the water about 7:15, and I didn't even have to be told. Made the right turn out of the buoy line went to almost exactly same spot as yesterday. This time my better half boats the first one. Then we have set of twins hook up and boated same time, then it slowed and went back and forth for about an hour. Boated several smaller cats that were just lip hooked, so released. Ended up keeping 4 more normal size, and only because they were greedy, swallowed the hook way down and were bleeding at the gill. OK in 2 days I've taken home 24 Cat fillets to make fish Tacos with. I think that will be more than plenty for me and the 2 oldest boys on our trip to Hyrum next month.

Oh yea, I met a guy at the south cleaning station yesterday that knew my boat and name, but for the life of me, I cannot remember his, or if he even said. So if you read this post, and it was you, forgive me for an old mans bad memory.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks for the report. Nice looking sonar screen. Don't see any bait fish, did you see any birds working the area.
[signature]
I saw you guys Saturday anchored up by the brush inside the Marina on my way in and I was cleaning my catch at the cleaning station when the other guy said high to you, I was the big guy in the red shirt, I have a maroon and white Smoker Craft one of these times I would like to chat as your post turned me on to one of my favorite ways to catch wipers, fishing mussels.
[signature]
Cat fish makes the best tacos. Good to see you both had a good trip or two.

Larry
[signature]
Can tell me if the plugs are working at the cleaning station on the south end? I prefer using my Electric knife if possible.
Thanks great report, good fishin. ii
[signature]
The outlet on the pole is the only one working the ones located on the table are not.
[signature]
Nope, sure didn't. No birds diving and no grebes fishing on the surface.
[signature]

Cool
Saw your boat. But that wasn't me anchored in the marina this time. Because the wife had to get to work, we pulled straight up to the dock, got the boat on the trailer and was about to use the cleaning station but it was pretty busy and the only electrical outlet on the back corner roof support pole was being used. Wouldn't have had the time to clean those 8 Cats there anyway. Took them home.
Hey anytime you see me out and on the water, give me a holler. I'll talk all you want about any kind of fishin (even the kinds I know nothing about) if I'm not hurryin to get somewhere like I was Sat.
Hope you are doing better with the Mussels than I am this year. I have caught exactly 1 Cat down at Utah Lake on Mussels this year. This past weekend all our Cats (and that's all we got was Cats) were on nightcrawlers
[signature]

Cool
Thanks Larry, sure was way overdue this year.
[signature]

Cool
thanks a lot. Saves a drive back to the North end.
[signature]
Haha, small world, big fish? We wish.

I saw your boat when we launched, thought you might be Tin-Can, but alas, no. We kinda fished across each other most of the day, then both felt the draw to the feed lot.

I was that "other guy" 'ol Forest don't remember. Funny Tin-Can, I felt I needed to say more, but then - you were gone! Guess you went home to clean. I didn't have my flag flying, and with a clean haircut and glasses, who knew!
But I recognized your red-lund, even when it wasn't yours!

Judging by you and some of the other stingers, chasing kitties beat chasing eyes.

I don't think we could troll fast enough for wipers, but didn't see any signs of boils of diving birds.
Gee John, I sure did not recognize you. There was a couple of small 14' red boats on the water that day. At least one other Lund, and I think maybe a Tracker.

Yea, I was in a bit of a hurry. The wife needed to get home to be at work at 2 PM, and the cleaning station sure wasn't gonna open up any spaces in time for me to do those 8 Cats.

We went back out Sunday, and she drove her own vehicle. Planned to just bring her to the dock and let her head home, and me go back out, but by that time we had 4 more cats in the box, the wind was dying, and the bugs and power squadron were coming out in force. So I pulled the boat when she left and got to clean those 4 cats at the station.

Now that I think on it, and I just read TD's post from today, those same 2 gents in a red aluminium boat were anchored up next to the rocks in the weeds at the corner of the south channel where it turns into the marina. Maybe that's the boat someone else thought was mine.
[signature]

Cool