Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake on Fire
Here's my take on the white bass: For the first couple of hours after daylight the wb are so thick it is as if you are anchored in a fish hatchery. They are snarffing up midges off the surface everywhere. During this breakfast feed they are not easily caught with the usual minnow imitation lures... even the famous TD RCK with a crawler attached is shunned. They will occasionally take a crawler under a bobber or a baby wb suspended under a bobber but they feed almost exclusively on the emerging midge hatchlings. When the midges are airborne, eaten, or broken up by wave action the wb turn to feeding on anything that moves or appears to have moved at one time -- even bare hooks. They become a total nuisance while trying to fish for catfish unless you use bigger sized chunks of carp or wb. Bigger baits will also discourage the mudders.

The baby wb also feed on the emerging midges and they are dimpling the water everywhere in areas closer to shore and cover. The end of the launch at Lincoln is lousy with them just after daylight. Lots of wb, lots of baby wb, and a good spawn means lots of wb to come. Great sport if you like to eat them or let the kids have at them. Great bait too.

Tomorrow is the day.

BLK
[signature]
I don't know if it has been time of day or location, or both, but we have caught white bass better in the afternoons. They are so thick that one doesn't even need to cast and many times don't even need to reel to land them. Just drop a jig, of almost any sort (bait is not necessary) over the side of the boat and bounce it a couple times and set the hook. I have also caught them on bare red hooks (size 3/0 even). The average size has been around 9 1/2 to 10" long, so they are fun to catch. They can be a pain when trying to catch catfish because they will grab a fairly large piece of cut bait and attempt to haul it off. Numerous times, I have thought I was getting a bite from a catfish only to hook a white bass on a large chunk of bait.
[signature]
Congratulations on a fine catch Kent, and thanks for generously inviting other fishermen to join you. I've been the recipient of your kindness and know your guests all appreciate the fishing trips and your expertise.
[signature]