Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge?
I am going to fish the gorge this next weekend. Anyone have success recently with catching Kokanee? Locations and depths? Thanks![fishon]
[signature]
[quote muirco]I am going to fish the gorge this next weekend. Anyone have success recently with catching Kokanee? Locations and depths? Thanks![Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

I can let you know after the fact, ha ha! But hopefully it will be decent.
[signature]
I fished the North lake, in the Breeze Hill area this week end. The Kokes are starting to school up in huge schools, some are red already and some are still silver. As always when they get love on their mind they get harder to catch. We found the ones willing to bite were at 75-80 ft. Our best lure was a Kokanee Creek orange with black splatter spinner behind a silver dodger. Also caught some with orange squids about 9in. behind a silver dodger.
[signature]
Thank you! I will give a report when I get back. [fishon]
[signature]
[quote muirco]Thank you! I will give a report when I get back. [Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

Which days are you up there and are you camping at Lucerne?
[signature]
[quote wyoguy]I fished the North lake, in the Breeze Hill area this week end. The Kokes are starting to school up in huge schools, some are red already and some are still silver. As always when they get love on their mind they get harder to catch. We found the ones willing to bite were at 75-80 ft. Our best lure was a Kokanee Creek orange with black splatter spinner behind a silver dodger. Also caught some with orange squids about 9in. behind a silver dodger.[/quote]

Is it quicker to get to Breeze hill driving or by boat? I have only launched from Buckboard once and don't really remember, but I do recall not liking the marina as much at Buckboard and you have to get inspected first.
[signature]
If you go on Saturday to Breeze hill a lot of boats there it is not to fun.
one thing you can find it because of all the boats.

if you boat up from Lucerne you will be driving your boat up in the dark
if you launch at Buckboard you may need to get there early to get a parking place
a lot of boats are fishing before the sun comes up.
Take some 8" flashers like the ones pro troll sales with green and silver on them
use a longer leader on them.
another flasher
http://www.trollingtacklebytrueblue.com/ Ol' Fred's Fish Flash
you never know what is going to work
I have not tried Kokanee creeks stuff up there but they have been working good at Strawberry the last 3 weeks, I don't know how fast [wyoguy] trolls them.
I think you need to go a little slower. I have had them on camera going 1.7 mph and they look OK.

I think you know all this
Please check this information before you transport your watercraft into Wyoming
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Boating...nformation

Watercraft Inspection Locations
Evanston I-80 Port of Entry
Border Check Station

Anvil Draw Road at Flaming Gorge Reservoir
Border Check Station
Address: East of Hwy 530
Open: April 29 through September 22
Hours: Mon - Wed 6:30a - 4:00p, Thurs - Sun 6:30a- 7:30p

Hank Gutz
Private Authorized Inspector
Address: Manila, UT
Open:
Hours: Call to schedule appointment
[signature]
Good info , if it were me, I would launch at Buckboard, Breeze is a 15 min boat ride down lake. We troll anywhere from 1.2 to 1.8 depending on which speed is most effective. If you make turns and the outside gets hit...faster is the key. Same with inside...slower. There will be fish at many depths so it takes awhile to find fish willing to play. Good luck, hope you get'em.
[signature]
We will arrive Friday night and leave around 2pm on Monday. Camping in a camper out of Lucerne. We will drive up to buckboard to launch on the day we go for Kokanee. The other days we will be fishing for Lakers.[fishon]
[signature]
Got fish!
[signature]
Well, that just got awkward [laugh]
[signature]