Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Spinning Reel Maintainence
[size 7]Basic Spinning Reel Service[/size] [font "Times New Roman"][size 5]I am using a Shimano Sustain 2000 but the procedure is the same for most spinning reels.[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Regular maintenance will keep your reel in top shape. This page covers basic routine maintenance. Saltwater use requires more frequent maintenance.

A screwdriver may be required for this procedure. You will need a rag, some good reel oil, some Q-Tip swabs, alcohol, and some Reel Magic or other type of cleaner/protectant and some Loctite 242 if you have to tear down the line roller assembly. A copy of the exploded parts diagram is also a great help.

[/size][/font][Image: traditional.gif] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

1. Loosen the drag knob and remove the spool.. Spray a rag with some Silicon Spray, ReelX, Reel Magic, or CLP and wipe down the entire reel to remove any dirt, salt, etc... You can use the Q-Tip swab to access the tight areas.

[/size][/font][Image: srs01.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

2. Saturate a Q-Tip with alcohol and clean the washer that the spool rides on and the bottom of the spool where it contacts the washer.

[/size][/font][Image: srs02.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

3. Place a drop of oil on the spool shaft where it meets the reel body.

[/size][/font][Image: srs03.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

4. Place one small drop of oil on each of the bail pivot points.

[/size][/font][Image: srs04.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

[/size][/font][Image: srs05.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

5. Remove the handle and place a drop of oil on each bearing on both sides of the reel.

[/size][/font][Image: srs06.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

6. Place a drop of oil on the hinge point of the handle.

[/size][/font][Image: srs07.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

7. Place a drop of oil on(in) the handle knob.

[/size][/font][Image: srs08.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

8. Place one small drop of oil on each side of the line roller. At least once per year, I take this apart and clean the bearing/bushing well and lube with the Penn Lube. If you have to take the line roller apart, use the correct size screwdriver. I also apply a drop of the Loctite 242 to the threads of the screw when I re-assemble it.

[/size][/font][Image: srs09.jpg] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]

Your reel is now clean, lubed and ready to re-assemble. Performing this simple maintenance regularly will ensure that your reel continues to provide you with good service. Sending the reel off for professional service annually will ensure that worn parts are detected and replaced.

[/size][/font][/center]
[signature]
Thanks Hutch, Did you do that yourself?
[signature]
nah not me a friend of mine took the pictures while I was cleaning his reel and wrote it up
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2725;]You did a great job on it[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2703;]
[signature]