Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Catmen On Here?

Just wondering how many guys on here target Catfish. I live in Minnesota and fish for the brutes in the Minnesota River mostly. The biggest for me so far was 48# 2 years ago and one close behind last year at 46#. I can't get enough of it!

The bite where I'm at starts around the first part of June. Most of the time I fish from shore as the Minnesota isn't a real large river. I have a 14' Polar Craft Jon that gets me out on the water but like i said, usually isn't necessary. I have a few rods and reels for the job but my favorite is an E-Cat with a Penn 320GT2 spooled with 65# Power Pro. I trap and seine my own bait and prefer large Creek Chubs, Suckers, and Bullheads for offerings.

I'm planning a trip down to Carksville,Tn. later this month. Gonna go look for some sumo Blue Cats with Jim Moyer on the Cumberland River. I've never caught a Blue and Big Jim says we're gonna fix that! Can't wait![Smile]
[signature]
Hey there DARK30, it's good to see that your using this message board also. That is a nice looking Flathead you got there.

I am also a CAT Friek as some used to call me. I used to do alot of Cat fishing (mostly channel cats) but now I am getting back into the race with everyone else. My son and I are geared up for Bass, Cats, panfish and several Ocean varieties.

We just can't get enough fishing time in. Please feel free to come by the recipe board as well. I have some recipes there for Catfish and some other recipes for Catfish Bait. If you have any recipes to share, feel free to post them.
[signature]
I love fishing for catfish! I like to use light tackle and i dont like alot of bait on the hook. I fish a river near by my house and I use a little piece of chicken liver or a live minnow and i can almost garentee you thar ill hook up. i like the lighter line but when you hook into a big one its alot of work but fun.

Tim
[signature]
Hey there wasup65, Hi and welcome to the friendly BFT message boards. I'm always looking for more tips and tricks to catching cats. Please feel free to share any that you might have as well as fishing reports.

Don't forget, we do have a recipe board and have plenty of room for some more catfish recipes.

Happy Fishing.
[signature]
[Smile] I enjoy wetting a line for a cat once in a while. I use fresh turkey liver, it stays on the hook better. I also like 3" to 4" sunfish for the bigger ones. M y biggest is a 28# flathead, that was way back when we had some water in the river. I'm a bass man myself but like to fish for cats, waleye, white bass, crappie, wipers, stripers. You gotta be ready for whats bitten.
[signature]
ill be sure to post my reports and what they r biting on for you. but i wont be on eveyday. I mean i am only 16 i still have school
[signature]
Hey that's cool bro. We only encourage people to post pics and reports when they can. I am waiting for our cat season to fire up here. I will also post some pics and reports for everyone. Be sure to check the CA board once in awhile. That's where I post my regional reports at.

Happy fishing and have a good one.
[signature]
i give them a try every now and then , but no big ones yet .
[signature]

ok coll ill check it out
[signature]
Hey Dark,

Nice cat! I've been wanting to get down to the Minnesota River and do some catfishing but haven't made it yet. Not sure where along the Minnesota to go. I don't have the best of gear either. Heh, hope my Ugly Stick can hold up to a beast of a fish!
[signature]
Dark30

I enjoy catfishing a bit each year. Like you I enjoy the challenge presented by flatheads.

[Image: 61403RobKayla52sm.jpg]

Last winter I got cocky and loaded 2 quantum Big Cat rods with Abu Garcia 6500 reels and 20 lb test line. I got a 35 first and then finally broke one of them in with this fish.

[Image: fbd8c4a5.jpg]

My rods are not broke i till I get a 50+ on them. I worried this Spring that the 20 lb test would let me down but the drags on the Abu's kept me in the game and I landed the cats.

As with all the big cats I released this one after pix and weighing. He is still swimming around growing, making baby flatheads, and ready to go for round 2!
[signature]
Where'd the pictures go?
[signature]
Robby, Did your Lil Partner say it was ok for you to hold up her fish? [cool] Nice one man! (As Usual) I like those AbuG's too. I have a smaller one for lighter action and I may even pick up one of those 7000 lever drags they got now.

Hey DDRat, If you ever want to fish the Minnesota, just gimme a shout. We actually have a Catfishing League here in Belle Plaine...This will be the third year and lots of fun.
[signature]
Wow! Nice fish! That thing would [b][i]EAT[i][b] my biggest cat -- at 10+ lb. Channel Catfish. Here in Utah all we have is Channel cats and black bullheads (mudcats). They're probably my favorite species to catch, they put up such a great fight! My preferred bait is a fresh 1 inch chunk of fish meat -- carp, white bass, or chub.
[signature]
I can't see the pics either. Can you guys post them as attachments?? They might be too big to post on the board as normal pics.
[signature]
Tube n 2

I can try but I won't promise any results[Wink]

[Image: 72703rob52sm.jpg]

Here is another flathead from this year. She gave me a great fight and has been released to grow, spawn and fight again
[signature]
Now I can see the beautiful kittys. WOW. Those are awesome. I'm hoping to get some of them that size as soon as it warms up a little more.

I like to get out on my float tube for big kittys. They drag you around for quite awhile before they tire out or snap your line.

Good job on the cats and the nice pics.
[signature]
Thats It? Where are all the US Cats guys?mmm Must be far enough south to be fishing already!

Well, I'm takin off Sunday morning...Clarksville or Bust! Can't wait to hook into one o them big Blue ones! [Smile]

I hope we don't take a wrong turn and end up in some little town up in the hills where everybody is related and.......Oh Nevermind![shocked]
[signature]
[Wink][size 3] Yep, here in Oklahoma the blues are topping out their winter bite.[/size]

[size 3]Welcome, Dark30...[/size]

[size 3]You're among friends and catmen. Robby's got pictures that'll make all of us jealous.[/size]

[size 3]My personal best was a 63# flathead caught in the Arkansas River near Webbers Falls. So far, I'm stuck below 50# for bluecat. I'll top that this season for sure.[/size]
[signature]
well i got a little kitten in the ice fishing forum , nothing like the big un's you have there .
[signature]