Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sun, moon and stars all lined up. Warning pictures of large fish attached.
Have you ever had a fishing trip where the sun, the moon, and the stars all lined up? I just had one. Had I not experienced this trip I would not have believed it myself.

Let me quickly set the stage. I made my first trip fishing for sturgeon in July 2003 and we got skunked: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=55932;search_string=sturgeon;#55932"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...ring=sturgeon;#55932[/url] . Since that first trip, I have averaged at least two trips a year up there. During all of those trips, the largest sturgeon caught from my boats (I have had three of them) was 8 feet even. That feat has happened three or four times. The largest sturgeon I had personally caught was 7’ 10” and I had equaled that feat at least 5 or 6 times. I have had as my personal goal, for many years, to catch an 8 foot sturgeon. During those years the largest sturgeon I had heard of being caught was a 9 footer.

Don and his son Craig (both sturgeon virgins) were to my house just before 4:00 A.M. on Tuesday morning. We loaded up quickly and made the long drive. We made great time and were fishing by 9:30 A.M. We tried a couple spots with no bites. I suggested we try our luck fishing for crappie for a few minutes. I wanted us to at least catch something and wanted to have a few crappies to try for bait. Over the years, I have tried crappie for bait many times and had caught only a handful of sturgeon on it, but some of the Idahoan hard-core sturgeon anglers use nothing else for bait. We tried for about 20 minutes to catch a crappie in the often great crappie hole with not even a nibble from anything. There was a tree that had recently fallen into the water so I eased over near it to see if anything was hiding near the branches that were hanging in the water. That was where they were hiding and Don and Craig caught several and I finally got one to hang on long enough for me to land it. We kept 8 or so of them for bait and headed to one of my popular sturgeon holes.

I suggested that we put a chunk of crappie on one rod and pickled herring on the other rod. It didn’t take long before I hooked a sturgeon (on crappie) (We ended up catching most of our sturgeon on crappie.) and handed the rod to Craig to reel it in. Craig reeled it in tentatively (as all new sturgeon anglers seem to do) and we had our first sturgeon at 1:30 PM at 5’8”. Don’s turn next at 2:50 P.M. He upped the size to 6’8”. At 5:15 P.M. Craig hooked into his first fish and we could tell it was a good one. After a great battle, we got it landed and measured. His first sturgeon measured 8 feet even! I held back the temptation to accidentally bump him off the boat into the river. At 5:50 P.M. I hooked a good sturgeon and was hopeful that I had finally caught my 8 footer, but once again I equaled my personal best of 7’10”. Don caught one more (5’10”) and we called it a day with five sturgeons landed.

Wednesday we started fishing at 6:50 A.M. We started back in the same hole where we found them the day before. It got off to a fast start with me landing a good one at 7:10 A.M. Once again, I tied my personal best of 7’10”. Folks, this is getting mighty frustrating to keep coming so close to 8 feet but not quite getting there. At 8:20 A.M., Craig hooked into a humongous fish! After a lengthy battle, we got it landed and measured --- 8’5”! For those not keeping score, Craig has caught two sturgeons in his entire lifetime and the first was 8’ and the second was 8’5”. Craig probably didn’t realize it but I had to fight even harder not to “accidentally” bump him off the back of my boat. Don and Craig each caught two sturgeons and then it happened in the early afternoon. I caught a sturgeon that measured out at 8’2”! Finally, after all of these years of frustration, I reached my goal of landing an 8 foot sturgeon. We ended the second day with seven sturgeon landed.

Thursday I wanted to try one of my favorite holes that we hadn’t yet tried. We gave it ½ hour and after having no action moved back to where we had caught all of our sturgeon except for 2. It didn’t take long and Craig lost one and Don landed a 6’3” one. Because I was fishing from the bow of my boat, I had been casting one rod on the port side and my second rod on the starboard side. I had been casting the rod on the starboard side a long ways away from the boat and was having zero success on it. I decided to try not casting it at all. I just dropped my line straight down off the side of the boat and put my rod in the rod holder. After a short while, Don started yelling that I had a fish on. I looked and my rod was bent over. I grabbed the rod and couldn’t get it out of the rod holder. Don didn’t know what to do first (he didn’t know if he should toss the anchor rope, reel in my second rod, or perhaps do something else first). I suggested that he help me get my rod out of the rod holder. With two of us lifting on the rod we were able to get it free and the fight was on big time. I knew it was a large one but not certain how large (they all fight really hard). When we were finally able to see it we knew it was a special fish. Got it measured and it measured a fraction over 8’6”! I couldn’t believe it, I had been trying for so long to finally catch an 8 footer and now I had caught two over 8 feet on the same trip. I ended up catching a second sturgeon straight down which once again added to the excitement. We ended the day at 4:00 P.M. and we caught nine sturgeons on the final day.

I have had trips when we caught way more than the 21 that we caught this trip but I have never had a trip where we caught so many large sturgeon and no really small ones. The smallest sturgeon we caught was 4’7” and the next smallest one was 5’6”. We typically catch several between 3 and 4 feet long and have caught them as small as about 26 inches (with fishing with 6/0 hooks one rarely hooks really small fish).

Great fishing companions and fantastic weather (a little warm but little wind and the wind always blew downriver, which rarely happens) and great fish. I got to try out my new Fin-Nor Offshore spinning reels and I couldn’t have been more pleased. I can cast them a country mile (I purchased them so that I could cast further from shore), they have smooth gears and the drag is the smoothest of all of my sturgeon reels. I landed my largest sturgeon on my Fin-Nor reel that I call my ultra-light. I have two smaller reels (still huge) and two larger ones. I put 65 pound Power Pro on my smaller reels (with 50 pound Dacron leader) and 100 pound on my two larger reels (with 80 pound Dacron leader).
[signature]
What a super trip that was. Can't wait till I have a chance at them again. Teaches me not to turn down an invite from you. [Wink] Next month I will give the Snake another try.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Kent, that is awesome!

Quite an accomplishment after so many years! Those pictures don't do the fish justice but I can imagine how big they were! Can't wait for September!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Awesome work in smashing your previous personal best. The only problem now is a nice 6 footer won't be so exciting anymore. [Wink]

Can't wait for my next shot at them too, but it probably will be next year.
[signature]
That is absolutely amazing! You always seem to do well when I have read your posts. Those things look like the size of sharks.

So....if a guy were to use a 16' aluminum boat with a 25 hp engine, would he be crazy or would it work for sturgeon fishing on that region of the snake river? I REALLY want to go figure that out, but I don't have an in between size boat. It's either a 27 foot Boston whaler or a 16' smoker craft.

Mike
[signature]
[#0000FF]Congrats on your new personal best. Now for 9 footer...or maybe a 10?

I'm guessing you weren't using either of the new light sticks for the sturgeon. Maybe for the crappies?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote gmwahl]

So....if a guy were to use a 16' aluminum boat with a 25 hp engine, would he be crazy or would it work for sturgeon fishing on that region of the snake river?

[/quote]

If you checked the wind forecast and it was favorable you would be fine. You wouldn't want to be caught out on that water in one of their heavy winds. There is only a light current so that is not an issue at all.

The next challenge would be coming up with gear that will handle fish of that size. Some fish with lighter lines, but I would suggest lines (including the leader) of at least 50 pounds test.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]

I'm guessing you weren't using either of the new light sticks for the sturgeon. Maybe for the crappies?

[/#0000ff][/quote]

You guessed right. I landed the 8'6" sturgeon on a rod rated for 40 pound test line. I prefer to hook the large ones on my Tiger Lite Ugly Sticks, which are rated for up to 100 pound test lines. For the crappies I was using one of your lighter rods that I have been using for a few years.
[signature]
Kent tried to tell us that this trip was special. I think he does this every trip but does not want the word out. Those 3 days were unbelievable beautiful weather, HUGE fish, and great company. The main problem after going up there is getting the $1500 worth of rods and reels to be able to chase these things. Thanks Kent for a great experience the Craig 8 footer pic tells the story we were pretty happy
[signature]
Wow, what a great story and pictures. I'm glad things aligned right for you and I'm glad you shared it!
[signature]
All of that clean living is really paying off.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Nice job Kent. Those 8 Footer's put up a good fight don't they lol. The same thing happened to me when I was on the bow I just lowered strait down and that's when my big one hit. And yes those tiger light rods are nice, I love the bend they get in them but still has a lot of backbone for ( some) control. You deserved those nice fish I'm glad it all lined up for you.
[signature]
In case you missed it, Kent, the sun and moon DID line up on Monday...
[signature]
Very nice Kent...glad you had a great trip.
[signature]
Congratulations! Those are some great fish.
[signature]
What do you estimate the big fish weighed?
[signature]
Congratulations Kent, those are some awesome fish, it's still amazing how big those fish get there.
[signature]
[quote oldfarley

]What do you estimate the big fish weighed?

[/quote]

The chart says 332 pounds. It was a heavy fish so it probably weighed at least that much.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote gmwahl]

So....if a guy were to use a 16' aluminum boat with a 25 hp engine, would he be crazy or would it work for sturgeon fishing on that region of the snake river?

[/quote]

If you checked the wind forecast and it was favorable you would be fine. You wouldn't want to be caught out on that water in one of their heavy winds. There is only a light current so that is not an issue at all.

The next challenge would be coming up with gear that will handle fish of that size. Some fish with lighter lines, but I would suggest lines (including the leader) of at least 50 pounds test.[/quote]

Thanks for that info and advice!

I have the equipment as far as rods and reels go. I have fished a lot of saltwater so I've got 9' heavy rods, penn reels loaded with 40-60 pound line, 1-8 ounce sinkers, etc...

Sounds like I just need to go figure them out and pay my dues and just maybe.....I can enjoy some outings like the ones you have!

Kind of different question here, but I was curious....do they have a problem at all with poachers keeping the sturgeons or is it a pretty safe bet that those same 7-8' fish will be caught and released many times over, allowing some of us to figure out a good hole and then repeatedly catching some of the same fish over and over again?

Mike
[signature]
[quote gmwahl]

Kind of different question here, but I was curious....do they have a problem at all with poachers keeping the sturgeons or is it a pretty safe bet that those same 7-8' fish will be caught and released many times over, allowing some of us to figure out a good hole and then repeatedly catching some of the same fish over and over again?

[/quote]

I have been told that they have a problem with poachers taking the 3 footers. If I ever see someone poaching a sturgeon (of any size) I will turn them in in a heart beat. I have also been told that their are thousands of sturgeon in the section that I fish, so I think you will be fine.
[signature]