Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Smith & Eddies in West Jordan
[#0000FF]For those of us who never tire of wandering up and down the aisles of [url "https://www.smithandedwards.com/"]SMITH AND EDWARDS[/url] store in Ogden, there is now a new store in the Salt Lake area. It is at 9010 S. Redwood Rd. in West Jordan.

They are having their grand opening celebration on Saturday, Sept. 9...with lots of "giveaways, demos and samples".

Haven't checked it out yet, myself, but suspect they will get a few of my net-spendable dollars. Wonder if they will fill up the parking lot with all that junk like they have at the Ogden location.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
They seem to have finally come to their senses with all that "war surplus" crappola in the yards. It's all been cleared off, bulldozed down to dirt, and leveled. Who did they think would buy that useless stuff? They're even clearing out the surplus shelves inside the store.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Wow! I haven't been in or around there for a while. But I have many fond (and not so fond) memories of their "biblical system" of inventory (seek and ye shall find).

Have been able to find a few things there that were not available elsewhere. And their prices are usually pretty good. But there has been a whole lotta goodies I have looked at and wondered "whazzup widdat?"

I am looking forward to checking out our new location and seeing if they are deserving of my patronage. I'm guessing that there will be some things I suddenly discover I can no longer be without. I got a large supply of fisherman's genes...or jeans?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It's always fun to go to S&E and just wander up and down the isles. I always find stuff that I didn't realize I couldn't do without. Damn, I love it when that happens. I don't think I'll be in the new store in West Jordan, but I'll be checking out the old digs maybe this weekend to see all the new changes Rocky mentioned.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Their prices on fishing stuff aren't as low as several other places, but how many stores have a Rope Room? I mean c'mon -- a room dedicated to rope, and all things to fasten it? Wowsers!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Zakly![/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
And if you don't need rope for tying stuff there's always Jeff's favorite - Smoke-a-Rope near the check out stands - LOL
For those of you who do not know, that junk is how Mr. Burt Smith got into the business world 70 years a go. When I came out the Air Force in 1970 Mr. Smith and his son Jim gave mean my first job. I agree that a lot of it is useless junk, but in the surplus business you bid on a certain item that you think you can make money on and take what ever else is in the lot you bid on. Didn't mean to ramble on, but that's my 2 cents worth.
[signature]
They have indeed done away with most of the military surplus stuff in the new store but still lots of goodies and still a few of the whats up with that items. Worth a look see.
[signature]
I got my old aluminum boat there summer of 2013
Had to do a lot of work to it but it was a pretty neat project. Still stop by there because I'm a redneck and love old junk.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Last I heard you don't need a redneck card to get in. And they don't check for permission slips from your wife either.

I have always been a "junk junkie" myself. Still like to check out yard sales, read KSL.com, hit DI and pawn shops, etc. Amazing how our creative minds can look at something useless and try to think "How can I use that?" I've saved a fortune on good deals over the years...on stuff I eventually trashed, gave away or sold for a fraction of what I paid. But I had "pride of ownership" while it lasted.

I get a tear in my eye when I harken back to the olden days...when Allied was still there. Now it's Sam's Club. Not the same.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I used to scour thru the "junk" at Smith Edwards- bought some big pontoons and built a party barge- that now sits on a private pond as a dock. I found a military long shaft 35 hp army green Evinrude still in a wooden gel packed case out there in the yard- Paid $110. - sold it to a guy for his sail boat at Bear Lake. Loved scrounging thru that yard, Things have changed though since those days.
[signature]
Good old allied! It used to be a bike ride when I was a kido.. Yeah back then when you (tried to order) anything on the internet, I took 30-60 days lol. I sure miss anglers inn also. I used to work at a taco bell next to them in sandy city and we would HOOK each other up.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Anglers' Inn. Sniff, sniff. That was my home away from home for a long time...mostly the Sandy store. All the guys were fishing buddies and most are still friends today. They folded up after Hogle died and Dave Scadden took over. That was while I was living in Arizona. Broke my heart when I heard the news.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I used to go to the Anglers Inn Riverdale store way back when. After Scadden ran it into the dirt, it became Anglers Den and is now my first stop for all my fishing needs. And some of the old Inn employees are still pleasing customers today. Sorry for the side track.
[fishin]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote bigfish6]Good old allied! It used to be a bike ride when I was a kido.. [/quote]

I loved Allied. I bought my first fishing license in my life at Allied.

I was going through some old tackle I inherited from my father recently and found a bunch of hooks with Allied price tags on them. Ahh, the memories.
[signature]
the great thing about allied was you could walk in and get a new fuel tank for your truck, a buy all the tackle you need ,and walk out with new duds .[Smile]
[signature]
I moved to Utah as Allied was closing. Though I didn't have a job the first few days, Allied kept tempting me by lowering it's prices for extraordinarily high quality drill bits to pennies a pound. I think they might have been surplus from Boeing having bought expensive high quality drills. I'm glad I bought a lot.
[signature]
I grew up in Midvale just a mile or so from Allied. So many memories of that store. Winchester Wildcat .22 long rifle bricks of 500 for around $5. Pairs and pairs of 501 button-fly Levis. Tons of fishing and hunting gear, my aunt selling Christmas trees..........
[signature]
Now we're talkin. Allied was the best!!. I do miss those days when I could go in there and dream about what I thought I needed and my parents would not buy. Wish there was a place like that these days.
[signature]