Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New state record pumpkin
My neighbor invited me to go watch them harvest the new Utah state record pumpkin today. You can watch it on KSL tomorrow, likely on the 10pm news. They are hauling it to Thanksgiving point tomorrow, for the official weigh in but I thought I'd share some pics of it here on BFT first. The old record was 1,800 lbs, this one weighs 1,974, the world record is 2,200 lbs.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45902806&nid=148
[signature]
OHH Man. Just the vine and leaves are world records. Green house grown,. Must have started it in Feb. LOL
[signature]
Yea, grown in a green house but he does not start until April, the same time I start my garden. One of the problems with those big pumpkins is rot, so when it was smaller, around 200 lbs, we moved that one onto a mat, so it does not touch the ground. I had not seen it in months when my wife and I went in and took those pics. He claims they grows 50 lbs a day, during the season, which starts toward the end of April and ends toward the end of Sept. Just talked to the guy that grew the pumpkin, he said it weighted in at 1974.
[signature]
feed me seymour
[signature]
That stem to hand comparison is awwwwesome! Hey let me know if he grows another this year, I would like to visit and see it firsthand on the vine. I used to be obsessed with these but I don't have enough space at the moment. The fruits are remarkably hard to set too. They keep growing to around 20lbs then abort and rot. I did grow around 300lbs of mixed squash last year lol.
[signature]
His first and second State record pumpkin was grown outside but he felt he could do better with a green house. Have you ever heard of the Pumpkin growers Ass of Utah?
[signature]