Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Info
Hey Guys...
Well, I'm going to be spending the next couple of months here in Henderson, NV, so I need to start getting some info on fishing/tubin' at Lake Mead. Where's a good spot to launch? Is there anywhere I can launch my tube at for free? LOL. As most of you know, I'm pretty much a black bass guy...but I don't mind a good sized striper givin' me a good pull. I know the fishing is a little slow this time of the year there, but any info could help out. Thanks...
[signature]
Hey there SturgeonKid, Here is something from the latest fishing report from the Colorado Fishing Report for that area.

"[size 1]LAKE MEAD: Striper fishing is fair at best, and that's if you can locate a school. A few largemouth are showing in some of the arms. For more information, call Blue Lake Tackle at (702) 452-8299."[/size]

[size 1]You might want to PM Southernman or Nighthawawk. They are from the NV board. I'm sure they could give you the complete ups and downs on the bite over there and where to launch from.[/size]
[signature]
i would try posting your question on the nevada board also reading the posts there alot of good info to be had
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Kid, how did you end up in Henderson? I lived in Las Vegas and Boulder City for awhile when I was a kid, and fished several places close by. I have also fished many other places around the lake since.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the closest shots from Henderson used to be "Vegas Wash"...just up over the hill. I am sure you can find lots of maps in the local shops that will show road access, etc. After that, you really need to just drive and look until you find a spot you can launch and have some decent structure within easy kicking range.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The bass get hammered in the areas near a marina. Obviously the best fishing is wherever it is hardest to get to. The guys that fish tournaments on the lake usually plan to burn some gas, if they wanna finish in the money.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That doesn't mean you can't score close to home. A good fisherman like yourself can always score a few. If you know how to fish docks, and can get on the water when there is not a lot of traffic, you can finesse some big fish out from under the cover.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Stripers can be anywhere. Best bet is to find the areas they dump trout and then fish those areas with the old swimbaits and hardbaits that look like little troutskis. Even plain white or pearl can work. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You have already been advised to check in on the Nevada board. One of the guys from the area...Big E..has posted a couple of striper catches on the tubing board here. You might shoot him a PM and see if you guys can hook up.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One thing I remember from a couple of trips to that lake is that you can bring fish to the top from deeper water in that clear lake. I have seen them hit buzzbaits fished over 20 to 30 feet of water. Obviously, since it ain't murky (like Utah Lake), you are going to need to drop down in line size. Think six pound line...ultraclear.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck. You are just getting into the prime season down there. Hope you are able to get out and find some cooperative fishies.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Guys...
LoL, I totally forgot that the Nevada board even existed. I guess I will need to start checking that one out now. I've got my bookmarked boards, so I forget that others exist sometimes. ha! I will be sure to make a post over there.
TD, haha, ya, I'm in Henderson for a while. Actually, I might as well make the announcement right now. I'm gonna be movin' out for a couple of years in the next couple of months here. I've decided to go on a two year mission for my church. So, I'm gonna kind of be out of the whole bassin' scene for a while. Ha! That's the main reason why I don't have a boat yet and haven't gone pro by now. har har! I've always kind of had an idea that I'd probably do this, so I haven't pursued the boat as hard as I could've. I'm just gonna wait until I get back, and as soon as I do get back, I'm gonna want that boat! [Tongue] Anywho, so if you guys have got any ideas of good ways to store my tackle for such an extended period of time, I'd appreciate it!
But ya, now that brings me to why I am in Henderson. I just sent in my mission application papers last week, so that means I should be going on the mission sometime in the next few months. Well, if you'll remember, the reason why I moved out of Utah is because my mom and the rest of my family moved here to Henderson, and I really didn't feel like living here at the time (still don't really...LoL). However, my mom wanted me to come spend some time here for a month or two before I go on my mission so I can spend some time with the family here. So that's what I'm doing now.
Anywho, I'll make a post on the NV board and see what they have to say for themselves, and hopefully I will head out sometime this week and post a tubin' report for yo'll...
[signature]
Hey SturgeonKid, I have a good tip for you for how to store your gear for two years. After all, I served a mission as well -- went to Nicaragua, been home 3 years now.

Scroll down for your tip...........

Keep going.........

Almost there..........

Okay, after all that effort you deserve it. Send me a PM and I'll send you my address. You can send it all FedEx or UPS either one is fine with me. I'll take GOOD care of your tackle while you're gone! lol[angelic]
[signature]
I spent a couple of years in the Philippines, all that ocean and not a rod in site[Sad]. Let us know where you are going! As far as all that tackle goes, I'm sure Cat_Man will take good care of it for you.

Best of luck!

Nate (aka EmuScud)
[signature]
You will only be about 5 hr drive from my house. If you need to take care of your cabin fever, just give me a holler. I'll bring an extra tube with me and we'll put an end to your suffering for awhile.
[signature]
[cool]Hey SturgeonKid, I replied to your post on the nevada board. Good luck and tight lines.
[signature]
LoL, ya I'm probably gonna get rid of a bunch of stuff...at least some jigs and a bunch of soft plastic stuff that probably won't store well for that long. I've already got some friends that are taking dibs on most of the stuff though catman, so you may be out of luck...LoL
[signature]
Hey Kid, do you have any of those Red frogs left?? Let me know. I'll send you my address.
[signature]
Nope, sorry, I just checked in the box for ya! No red froggies! The bass beat them up pretty good last summer!! Har Har!
[signature]
Thanks anyway. Do you know where I can order some red ones?? I've looked about everywhere with no luck. I'd appreciate the tip. And I'll even put your name on one just for luck.[Wink]
[signature]
Sorry tuben2...I just searched the internet to try and find them, but no such luck! It seems as though most on-line tackle shops don't have a huge selection of colors of snagproof frogs. I even checked the Snagproof website and they don't have it on there! They've only got like 6 or 7 colors that they sell on-line. The best advice I can give you is to looks in all of the tackle shops in your area. I mean, I'm sure they've got to have some good shops down there in so cal. Our shops up in the bay area have got like a wall dedicated to frogs! LOL!
[signature]
thanks buddy. I'll keep checking around. Have a good and safe mission. Try to get online once in awhile if you can. We'll keep in touch.
[signature]
Hey, I just had an idea that might work. You may want to try just buying a white frog and spray painting it red. Then just paint its eyes yellow and paint yellow dots on its back with fingernail polish or somethin' where the green dots were printed on the white frog. That could do the trick...just make sure you put tape or something on the leg skirt material so ya don't get that all spraypainted together...
[signature]
Hey thanks Kid. I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.[cool]

I just posted a thread on fishing in the Delta. You might want to check it out on the CA board.
[signature]