Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry again (saturday, Oct. 7)
I was out on strawberry in the float tube saturday evening from about 4:30 till dark. I caught 7, hooked and lost 4 others, and missed maybe a half dozen other hits. All cutthroats.

A few observations:

(1) Fly selection mattered more than I think it usually does. They would only hit an articulated streamer (I was using one in yellow and gold) retrieved fast.

(2) Right at dusk I think I caught fish on three consecutive casts. I think I could caught several more but I had a 30 minute float back to shore and a 30 minute hike out after that. If you could be at a place at dusk where the fish are biting, I think you'll have fast fishing.

(3) There was some surface activity at the end. I didn't switch to a floating line (I had been using a type 3 sinking line all afternoon). I did have a hit from the one trout that rose within casting range as I was kicking back. I think a size 14ish mayfly pattern in a dark color would take them.

(4) I started with trailing nymphs but no interest in those.

(5) Lots of hoppers along the shore. I wonder if, in the afternoons, those might work. I spooked one trout that came in to hit a hopper that jumped into the lake as I was walking by.

I am going to North Dakota later this week for a fall pheasant hunt, so I might not get out again. But I think Strawberry is probably some of the best fishing around right now. It was great catching them on a fly rod.
[signature]
Nice report, thanks!
[signature]
Great report, thanks for the details and pics. Good luck on the pheasant hunt.
[signature]