Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat motor tune up..
ok i this will get more views here.. I need to get High altitude jet's put in and a tune up on a 94 70 Yamaha out board motor... i live down south, so Orem or Provo anyone know someone that can do that?
[signature]
Are you sure it is old enough that it needs jets. The newer motors come with computers that adjust.

I am not sure when Yamaha made the change, but check it out.
I live in West Jordan, but drive an hour to take my engines to Lee's Marine in Hyrum. I won't go anywhere else. It's worth the drive to get it fixed right.
[signature]
I had Lee's work on my Yamaha as well, it turned out well, but did cost me plenty. Good luck. J
[signature]
well it is not that old. it a 1994, but new never been on a boat, it dose have jet's, but getting mixed findings on if it's just a adjustment on the out side or if there is a high altitude jet on the inside.. [:/]
[signature]
Posting a model number would be helpful. I could track down a service manual pretty easily and give you some answers on it. I'm Provo and could take a look at it. Rebuilding carbs and any other mechanical thing is easy, but I don't tune carbs all that often. You'll wanna check and adjust ignition timing as well, and I can walk you through that. Just need more info.
[signature]
it's a 70 TLRS 1994
[signature]
OK, it looks like they were pretty decent motors that weren't really intended to be adjusted. That was mostly just an EPA thing, and adjusting them at a high altitude is pretty common. I'm not even clear on if high altitude jets are even made for it. The adjustment is likely hidden under a black plastic cap on each carb. This IS an engine with three carbs, right? Two stroke? You should honestly be fine with an adjustment of the mixture screw, carb sync, and maybe another degree of timing advance. I'd wanna pull the plugs to get a good read on them too.

The thing thats a pain about a triple carb setup is that they need to be synchronized. It's usually done with a special tool that's basically a bunch of vacuum gauges. It just so happens I've been needing one of those tools to tune up the outboard on the boat I just bought a couple months ago, but I'd forgotten all about it until now. I just ordered one and it'll be here Thursday, so we could hook it up this weekend if you at least wanna try and diagnose the issue.

I'm not looking to turn a profit if you want some help. This is all basic stuff that shouldn't really force you to haul it down to a shop to get your wallet cleaned out. Happy to help with this kind of stuff.
[signature]
that would be great. i'm headed to Joe's Valley tomorrow. and i'm going to put the water to it today and adjust the carbs and see if i can get something better then a idle out of it. lol i'll let ya know and i dont mind putting up some cash to get it working right! thats what i'm needing lol
[signature]
Sounds good. Even if the adjustment screws seem to be in the same position, it won't always sync them up. Pull the spark plugs (also number where they came from to identify specific cylinders that may have issues) and get a good read on them. There's a few charts online that you can use to help diagnose any rich/lean conditions. Check your fuel supply before you go out too. Most of your issues could be due to something simple like a filter or kinked hose.
[signature]
ok well i called a place in Denver.. they asked is it a new motor? i said yes! they asked if the factory fail-safe governor plug is pluged in. i said huh???? yeah check and see is it plugged in or not.. i checked yes it is.. after he stoped laughing [bobhappy] he said well unplug it i bet your new motor will run much better!

yeah it did spark to life as soon as i unplugged it.. lol [crazy]
[signature]
Fuzzy,

How did that motor work at Joe's Valley today. I only saw you running the kicker. I didn't get anything today but it was a beautiful day and we weren't working. Here's a photo of you and your partner out there today.

It doesn't get much better weather wise than this in late October. I wish the muskies were playing.

Mike
[signature]
good to see ya up there.. yeah the motor did run better but still not where it should be.. still wants to flood then i give it throttle. so still something not right..

oh BTW cool pic.. thats when we had like 5 musky falow our baits right up to the boat. but if ya moved at all they were gone.. lol so no figure 8's at all .. lol
[signature]
Don't forget to add some Seafoam to the gas.
Even if the motor is new, it may have been tested. That would leave mixed gas in the carbs for all these years. The gas will evaporate but the oil will go bad and cause a lot of problems.
Try a heavy dose of Seafoam to clean out the carbs and see if they work better after that.
[signature]
My buddy has the same motor. Would idle good then fall on it's face above idle.
He took it to Lees and got it screaming.
They are good motors, Yamaha does not make any junk.
[signature]