Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for info on Lake Mead
Hey fellas...
Well, it looks like I will be spending the next couple of months here in Henderson, NV, so I am looking for whatever info I can get out of you guys about fishing/tubing at Lake Mead. First of all, where's a good place to launch a float tube? I'm a bass fisherman (I know...not really prime time to be bass fishing on Lake Mead, but I'm crazy like that...HAR!), so I'm lookin' for a spot to launch that's close to some good bassin' water (although, I wouldn't mind tagling into the occasional big striper either), and preferably a spot that would be free to launch at. LoL. I don't like to spend a bunch of money each time I go fishing, since I go fishing quite a bit. You can give me ideas of places to launch where there's a fee as well, but just let me know there's a fee. har har! Anywho, also, I need to know of someplace in the area where I can buy myself a good topographical map of Lake Mead. What/where are some of the good tackle shops in the area that have got a good supply of bassin' gear? And also, just any tips in general about the fishing on this lake would be great! Thanks guys!!!
[signature]
hey sturgeonkid - Henderson huh, well you're close to mead, thats good . . . first you're gonna want to buy the $20 yearly pass, cause its a $5 entry charge almost everytime you wanna go fishing now . .. so plan on getting the pass . . .

I havent found a good underwater topo map of mead, mainly cause whatever it says, its going to be 80 feet in depth off, cause the lake is so low, so the shoreline will be really off too . .. you might try any of the fishing/boat places on the way to mead in henderson . .

heres an online link you can check out:

[url "http://www.utmaps.com/catalog/index.cfm?subcategoryid=3433#top"]http://www.utmaps.com/catalog/index.cfm?subcategoryid=3433#top[/url]

since the lake has been so low the last few years, most of the reports ive heard or read have stated the bass didnt spawn at all last year, and maybe not the last two years. . . but they're still out there . . get a fishfinder and look for cover/dropoffs when things warm up some . .

most of the stores in the area are quite expensive . . . but perhaps some other guys can help with that and we gotta couple tubers now on here that tube mead, so they can help you on launch spots . .

sm
[signature]
[cool]Hey SturgeonKid, I have tubed Lake Mead several times. I have been targeting stripers. They are usually active where ever the NDOW stocks trout. They have been stocking every friday and should til march 12. I have had good luck off Hemenway Point. You can launch there for free but be careful not to launch close to the shore fisherman that hit that place. I launch from one of the other points that are next to Hemenway. Use a large{4" to 6"} trout colored lure or swimbait. The stripers run from 5lb to at least 17lbs. I've caught a 12lb and a 17lb there on Storm swimbaits. Another place is Saddle Cove, also known as cove B3. Free to launch. I've fished it both in a tube and from shore, all around the cove. I have'nt caught anything there yet but the reports say 2 to 5lbers are being caught there after a trout plant. If you plan any other areas, talk to a ranger to see if it is legal to launch a tube. Also have a PFD with you because they will tell you to have one when tubing. Also try Galyan's at the Galleria mall in Henderson for bass/fishing gear.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, southernman, you better take good care of my favorite basser. He used to kick bass in Utah, before moving to California. Now he is back with some family in Nevada for a brief time. He is fully qualified to be on the pro bass circuit, but is going to have to delay that for a couple of years, due to some other commitments.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Any of you Nevada guys that want to trade info, hook up with the kid. You show him the spots and he will show you how to extract the fishies. He fishes lots of tournaments from boats, but is forced to fish from the bank or a tube until he gets squared away for good. You boaters can look forward to gettin' whupped by a non-boater if you put him in the back of your boat. He has earned the respect of a lot of the tournament pros.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Oh yeah, he also teaches break dancin'. What talent.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys. I guess all I gotta do now is find a map of this place so I can figure out where all these places are! [Tongue] Maybe I'll go and hunt down a tackle shop tomorrow and see if they've got a topo map. So the water is about 80ft down right? I know a fish finder would help out a lot fishing Mead, especially this time of year when they're down deeper, but I'm not going to be here very long and I don't feel like goin' out and buyin' a fish finder that I'm only gonna use for a month on my tube. ha! So I am just going to rely on my instincts, a 3/4oz jig, and a good topo map to find the good spots. har har!

And speakin' of teaching breakdancing, TD, I've only been here for 3 days and I already have to give lessons to a group of kids up in Logandale! Ha! Talk about the middle of no where! It was fun though...my family is thinking about moving there next. I gave a group of teens up there some beginning lessons today. I felt so welcome...there were a couple of moms who were trying to hook me up with their attractive daughters trying to convince me that I should take them out sometime...what a way to welcome a guy! Har Har!!

Anywho, yo'll can expect to see a pic of me on the board here within the next month holdin' up a pair of 4lbers! HAR HAR! Thanks guys...
[signature]
heres some good maps of lake mead . .

[url "http://www.nps.gov/lame/maps.html"][size 1]http://www.nps.gov/lame/maps.html[/size][/url][size 1] [/size]

sm
[signature]
Hey BigE...
Ok, so I've got myself a map now, so I know where some of this stuff is. However, I don't see a Hemenway Point...I see a Hemenway Wall and Promontory Point at the end of that. I also see Hemenway Harbor. Where exactly is it that you are fishing? I took a drive over that way today to see if I could at least scout out a place to launch, but they wanted to charge me $5. Is there anyplace at all to get down to the water where you don't pay $5? It doesn't look like there is at all, and I sure couldn't find anyplace. I guess I'll have to get the $20 annual pass then eh?

Geez...$51 for a year fishing license that expires at the end of the month, and then another $20 for an annual pass...I just wanna do a little fishin'! [pirate]
[signature]
[cool]Hey SturgeonKid, Take the road towards Henemway harbor.As you go down the road that becomes the launch ramp, there is a dirt road on your left, it is the last dirt road on your left {it also does not have a gate}. Take it about 100 yards and you will see a sign that says Henemway Fishing Point. Turn right and take which ever dirt road you want. One will take you towards the point with the outhouse. This is the point that people do most of their shore fishing. I drive to the second point east of that{towards the harbor}. Nobody really parks there and you won't interfere with guys shore fishing as you launch. THERE IS NO FEE TO LAUNCH. Just load up your tube and go for it. I was there on friday the 13th. However I had good luck regardless. I caught a fat 3lb striper on an anchovy. A guy in a boat got a 10lber on a motionless floating lure{he was making a turn as his lure sat still}. I also caught and released four trout. Its a good place to fish when the trout are planted. I'm surprised the guys at the harbor did not direct you. Good luck.
[signature]
Hey Big E...
Well, there's no fee to launch...but there's that $5 fee just to get into the place isn't there? Unless you know a way to get there that I don't. I'm taking 93 and then I turn onto Lakeshore Road and going towards Hemenway Harbor that way. Just down Lakeshore Road a little ways from 93 there's a fee station. No fee to launch...just the fee to get in. I never actually made it down to the harbor, I just make it to that fee station and turned around. Is there some ohter way to get in? Who knows...maybe they are just at that fee station on the weekends. LoL. I even took my little sister with me today because I figured she could at least fish for a little while as I was scoutin' out the place.
Is the striper action any good from shore with anchovies? I used to striper fish with anchovies all the time when I was a kid and had a blast doin' that, so I figure maybe my little sis can get in on some of thta action. And what did you catch the trout on? We had bought some nightcrawlers and I was just gonna have her toss a nightcrawler on one of those clear plastic water bubbles...I figured that might get her a trout or two. Any advice to get her on some fish? Hopefully we will go back out on Monday or something to try and take a look again and maybe she can get somethin'...then I will probably buy a day fishing license and go out in my tube on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Also...I was lookin' at my map and saw some of those rock islands in that area and it looked like it may hold some bass...and then when I went out there today, those islands looked like a pretty good paddle out there! LoL! Have you ever tried to paddle all the way out there? Is it really as far as it seems??
Thanks for all the help so far!
[signature]
A side note concerning the entrance fee, I have come through as late as 06:30 and the booth was empty. If you do end up paying the $5, it's good for 5 days. I don't think there is any access to the lake without going through the fee station. They have it pretty well covered, from Boulder City to Valley of Fire. I'm not sure what the Arizona side is doing.

Take care,

David
[signature]
[cool]Hey SturgeonKid, Yeah, there is no getting out of the day use fee but it is good for five consecutive days. Alot of the guys fishing from shore use one pole for soaking an anchovy and another for casting a swimbait or other large trout type lure. Friday was the first time that I caught a striper on an anchovy. My other two came on Storm swimbaits. But they have a second pole license which costs $10.00 more. The best time for the trout is on friday about noon, after the NDOW has planted them. Then the trout have had some time to acclimate to the water and begin to school up in the cove below the outhouse. I got my trout on a couple different lures. One was a Little Cleo blue and silver. The other was a black Pistol Pete which I have finally got a chance to tie myself. They also hit the olive Pistol Pete as well. When I was out there friday, an elderly gentleman was hammering the trout on small{3" or so} worms with a little split shot and using a slow retrieve. Nightcrawlers would work either below a bobber or inflated off the bottom. As far as the islands are concerned, I would'nt try it. Too much boat traffic and too far. Besides, if the wind kicks up then you may end up a mile away from where you came from. Hope this helps. Good luck.
[signature]
If your only going to be fishing Lake Mead get the Colorado river license. It will save you 30 bucks. I'd make sure you don't need a boating stamp for the tube. I've never used mine down there so I don't know if they include tubes in that law. Boating stamp was 2-5 bucks and another 10 for a second pole.

I never pay when I'm down there I just don't go to the boat ramps or state campground areas. You shouldn't have a problem launching a tube any where. The only bad thing is most of the good bass spots are in the coves but most of them are dry now.

This time of year it will be extremely slow but if you know what your doing you should be able to get some fish. Good Luck
[signature]
Hey Big E...
Thanks for the info...seeing as to how I probably won't be staying here for THAT long, I'm just tryin' to keep the $$$ spending to a minimum. I think I'll just stick to using one pole. Odds are I won't be doing a ton of striper fishing...I may take my sisters out and have them chuck some anchovies or something, and I may chuck a swimbait every once in a while...but I try and keep my fishing towards black bass. Maybe I'm crazy...LoL...but I like to fish for bass in some really tough conditions...I like a good challenge, if you will...I feel like if I can catch them under such tough conditions, then I'll be more prepared if I get hit with something like that in a tournament...
Anywho...thanks for all the helps guys...I think I've got all hte info that I need now...I may go out there again with one of my sisters tomorrow and see if they can get some trout or something...then maybe I'll take the float tube out on Tuesday and see what happens...thanks again!
[signature]
hey sturgeon,

im trying to plan a trip for april or may to lake mead. if your still around there lets hook up. ill be tubing the lake myself. i will be going to the overton arm area. i need to find out when the crappie come in and the stripers for that area. thats when ill be coming down.
[signature]
Hey Xman...
I sent ya a PM...
[signature]