Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield in the wind 11-2
A buddy and I fished Scofield today from our tubes fishing flies. We saw FuzzyFishers report and we decided to give Scofield another chance.

We launched across from the State Park and fished the dam arm because of the wind. We picked up one rainbow and sixteen cutthroats, all of the fish were between 11" and 14" long. The water temperature was 44-45 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 3'. The reservoir level is 70% full, which is the highest level in the last six years for this time of year. The higher level has helped the water clarity also.

We used both medium and fast sinking lines with size 8 bead head crystal buggers in green and brown. We caught most of the fish by casting toward shore and then stripping the line in.

This is the first time we had fished Scofield in years because of the chub problem (there were no chubs harmed on this trip).

You can see by the one photo of the flag at the state park, the wind was blowing pretty good.[:/]

It was nice to be able to fish Scofield again and catch trout. I hope that it will make a comeback with the new management plan but it is going to take some time.

The folks from the division of water quality have installed a buoy that has a temperature sensor on it to help detect when there could be an algae bloom problem. I have attached a link to the site if you want the reservoir water temperature. There are also others on Utah Lake and Deer Creek Reservoir .

[url "https://wqdatalive.com/public/669"]https://wqdatalive.com/public/669[/url]
[signature]
Interesting info regarding the bouy temps. Strange to see that Deer Creek was warmer than Utah Lake.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Did you notice if there were any docks in the water at the ramp?
With Deer Creek being alot deeper than Utah Lake it takes longer for the water temp to change than it will on a shallow lake. More times than not I ice fish Utah Lake before Deer Creek even gets close to freezing.

With it being as full as it is and currently on the rise it may not completely freeze over this year. Time will tell.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote klam]Thanks for the report. Did you notice if there were any docks in the water at the ramp?[/quote]

The docks are still in at the Mountain View ramp, I'm not sure about the Madsen Bay ramp.
[signature]
Thanks for the update
[signature]