Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cascade Idaho
Saw the pictures heard the stories so I made the decision to go. Question is when would be a good time to go? Where on the lake should I go? Any tips would be appreciated.
[signature]
Tackle Toms usually has a really good idea of lake and fishing conditions.
[signature]
Good advice..Tackle Tom's has a FB page that keeps up dates on ice conditions all winter. TOM is also very knowledgeable on tactics.
[signature]
We went last Feb. My best advice would be to absolutely take a snowmobile or 4 wheeler if you are going to hit the ice. The good fishing is a LOOOOOONG walk.
[signature]
Agreed with what others have said Tackle Toms and being mobile. Mobile means either sled or ATV as it’s a very long walk to prime areas up to 2 miles plus if not more. All also depends on ice conditions and snow trust us. If we report ATVs won’t make it, they won’t and it’s going with others. Big body of water and schitt happens. Be prepared and go with others is my recommendation.
[signature]
Thank you all for your tips and advise. I am bringing a sled and right now its just 3 of us going. If anyone is going the first week of Feb we are staying at the Cascade Lake Inn. Perhaps we could team up..
[signature]
Should stay at Birch Glen Lodge . Friendly owners clean rooms with small fridge , micro wave . Last year we got our room for $69..00 a night . We are going over the 14 thru 18 of February.
[signature]
A big PLUS 1 for the Birch Glen as the place to stay. The folks there go out of their way for customer service. They have a great place to fillet your pig perch and they have always been very helpful when I've been up there.

Mike
[signature]
A lot of events happening in and around Cascade so folks know as was said Birch Glen in the place to stay. Great folks who bend over backwards to help.

List of events below if you haven’t booked rooms you may want to get that done just saying

19-21 Jan Perch Festival Andy Fiolka

26 Jan - 4 Feb McCall Winter Festival (weekend rooms may not be available)

27 Jan Hardwater Classic

10-11 Feb Perch Assault

17-18 Feb Tackle Toms Cascade Cup
[signature]
We got our rooms at Birch Glen Lodge $ 65 a night for four nights February 14 thru 18 . Can't wait to catch those big Perch .
[signature]
If taking sleds you need to have a non-resident snowmobile tag. ATVs don’t need. ADS/Triple S 1900 West Haven you can get sled tags for Idaho. So you now area is 43B as you’ll need that tags are $32.50
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on the snowmobile registration. I just bought one online. Can you think if anything else i will need?[
[signature]
Be mindful on weather. Trust me. I mounted a system on sled with GPS. Been caught trying to get off ice in crap total white outs plus fog learned a whole lot. Especially 2 plus miles from launch point. Phone or hand held GPS sucks. So you know that also. Not saying you’ll have these weather conditions be prepared is my recommendation.
[signature]
I have come off the lake with my hand held Garmin several times in a snow storm as well as finding my spots several mornings in the fog, seemed to work fine for us. I do agree with K2 that you should take a dependable GPS with you on the lake, I like to fish until dark so I come off late and most times require a GPS. Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the beautiful country surrounding you on the lake.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I used the Navionics app on my cell phone for the past 2 years and it was lacking IMHO. So now, I'm in the process of mounting my Lowrance Elite 7 Ti on my snowmobile. Waiting on parts from Amazon that will be delivered this coming week. My Elite has GPS, AND, the Navionics chip with lots of lake contour data (including Cascade). It's going to be a real bonus to have that system on the sled for all sorts of reasons. Is it ice yet? [Smile][/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
dubob,

That is a great idea! Please post up a picture once you have it done. Thanks!
[signature]
Here’s our setup to power just using an extra flasher battery. Thanks to WyoGuy who informed us on the battery instead of wiring to sled battery and having to also wire in a fuse. Battery fits nicely in sled bag.
[signature]
Agreed 110% on Navionics chip way more details. With the system we have have already plugged in waypoints in house for various waters. Can’t wait to see in actual use and with old eyes a way better setup not relying on a phone that can freeze up at -20 plus including non intuitive hand held GPS with each having a very small screen in a blizzard it’s a PITA.
[signature]
I run navionics cards in both my bow mount and dash mount units on my Crestliner, I take the bow mount off for my usage in the winter. They do show good lake contours of a lot of the lakes we fish. Hope you guys have a great trip up there next month. [cool]
[signature]
I guess my eyes aren't that bad yet as I can still see my screen on my Garmin just fine, may have to go to something else when the eyes start failing me. I've never had any problem keeping my units (cell phones and GPS) from freezing up I just keep them inside my nice warm Ice Armour suit. I have used my Garmin in temps down to 28 below a couple years ago on a late Dec. elk in WY. to make sure I was staying on public land and not trespassing on to private property, I usually had to change my batteries out at least once during a day's hunt though. [cool]
[signature]