Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...whatta day! 11-14-17
Wow. That’s a super nice perch for Willard. Looks like you had a pretty good day considering the in coming storm.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Chuck, good to hear from ya. Do ya miss Utah? I read some of your reports from Boyd and it looks like you are finding a bit of action.

There are not many perch in Willard but the ones that survive the predatory cats, walleyes and wipers can get pretty good sized. I have never found any real schools of them in Willard but they do seem to move into a few areas in the late fall. And if you fish right and find the perch you can score some porky ones.

I seldom get more than a few on even the better days. But I had one day about 3 years ago that I caught 10 perch...keeping the 7 in the pic below. Notice I also caught one of their toothy cousins. Love those days.

[inline "TD TAKEHOME.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nope I don’t miss Ut one bit, but I do miss all you guys and the fishing stories. Yea I fish Boyd quite a bit, it’s 5 minutes from my house and I’ve just about got the walleyes figured out for summer and fall. Still need to find the spawning areas. I caught what looks to be a saugeye last week and maybe one in sept. They sure look like saugeye and they are in the lake, so I’m sticking to it. Boyd is loaded with fish, there is rainbows, smallmouth, largemouth, wipers, white bass, crappie, perch, walleye, saugeye, shad, carp, catfish, that might be about it. Fun place to fish now that I’ve learned a lot about it.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I've caught a (very) few saugers...in the upper midwest. But never caught a saugeye that I am aware of. Can't help with the ID.

I was on a 6 month work assignment in the Denver area back in 1983. At that time Boyd was pretty much just a carp-filled mudhole. There were other species but the lake was always so muddy it was tough to find and connect with anything besides carp. Glad to see it is better managed and more productive these days. I used to do well on both Cherry Creek and Chatfield. Also made the run out into the Prairie for Jackson...and there were several small ponds around that held fish but saw few anglers. I can understand why you don't miss Utah fishing.

When you get a chance you need to head south to Pueblo. Some big wipers...and other species...in that lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice one TD!!! That sounded like a top day on the water.

I may get back to Utah in Feb, hopefully even drop a lil jig under the ice for a perch or two!!

Cheers mate
[signature]
[#0000FF]Cheers back atcha. Good to know you are still dropping in on us. Hope you are able to make it back to our snowy part of the world.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
yeah mate I regularly drop in and read how they are chewin. I just dont post alot cos not many people probably remember me haahahhahaaa....

I'll let you know if I get over there in Feb and who knows, the stars may align

Cheers
[signature]
[#0000FF]As with all websites, our members come and go. The only thing permanent is change. Nevertheless, I am sure there are a few hangers-on who remember you. Maybe not all favorably, but remembered.

How are you doing fish-wise in your nearby waters? Still molesting the flatheads? Most of us do enjoy seeing the pictures of fish from other areas. So don't be bashful about chiming in. I think we can consider you an honorary Utah member.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Fishing wise things are just about to fire up as we move into warmer weather. The pelagics should be about soon so mackeral and tuna and marlin should be about as well as mangrove jack and of course flathead. I'll stick up some pics of some of my recent outings soon if you like them mate
[signature]
[#0000FF]Loved the pics. Only thing wrong with them is that I wasn't in any of them. Oh well.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Loved the pics. Only thing wrong with them is that I wasn't in any of them. Oh well.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Anytime you consider a trip down under let me know. I'll take you fishing mate.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the offer of Aussie hospitality, mate. I have long had a fascination for your big island...the minerals (opal and gold), the wildlife (marsupials, reptiles and sheilas) and the fishing in both fresh and salt water. Looks like paradise to me.

However, due to my age-related limitations...physical and financial...I will not likely ever have the opportunity to experience Australia for myself. But of all the places left on earth for me to visit, Australia would be at the top of the list.

So you keep on living the good life there and posting some pictures from time to time. Love 'em.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]