Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...whatta day! 11-14-17
[#0000FF]They are spendy...but worth it. Hard to put a price on being able to fish comfy...as long as you want...and not having to get out every half hour to stomp some feeling back into your feet.

When I was tubing Willard this time of year back in the late 1970s we had far fewer options in waders, fins and warmth layers. The biggest fins I could find were today's equivalent of large...not extra large. I could find XL lightweight waders but they were not cut full enough to allow bulky extra layers. And they did not have neoprene foot pockets. Bottom line: if I wore extra layers for warmth I had trouble getting into my waders and fins...and my feet were so constricted I got foot cramps as well as cold feet. And there was one day on Starvation ice out fishing when the crotch on my lightweight waders suddenly split open from the extra layers of pants and allowed a flood of COLD water to pour into my waders. Ever see a float tuber launch like a Polaris missile?

Got it made today. Starting with great soft pocket diving fins...in a true XL...that have quick adjust features that allow me to wear plenty of extra layers during cold weather without constriction. Then there are the stockingfoot waders with neoprene foot pockets. Those eliminate the need for at least one extra layer. And finally, I wear neoprene divers' booties over the neoprene wader feet. With one layer of the Heat Holder socks I stay comfy right up until iceup.

By the way, it pays to shop around for the Heat Holders. Amazon sometimes has good deals on them. Ditto for some of our local storefronts...like Sportsmans. Might even try WallyWorld (Walmart).

Looking at going back to Willard next Wednesday. You up for that? Also, if you haven't acquired a new battery by then I have an extra I can loan.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard...whatta day! 11-14-17 - by TubeDude - 11-15-2017, 12:36 AM
Re: [Ahi1953] Willard...whatta day! 11-14-17 - by TubeDude - 11-17-2017, 04:05 PM