Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with rod building
I was given two rod blanks with the stipulation of building one for me and for my friend who had the blanks.
My question does anybody have the tools and is willing to help with the actual build?
I’ve watched a ton of videos and can do it in theory but experience has proven theory and reality are two different realms.
I’m just looking to see where I can get the tools to finish these rods.
[signature]
My first one was done with a wood file for shaping the handle, an old book (can get at second hand stores) to run the thread for a tensioner when wrapping the eyes, a cardboard box with "V" cuts at two ends to place the rod when wrapping, and a ruler for measuring.

Tools are not really all that important if you are doing only one or two.

On my later rods I used a variable speed drill for shaping the handle, with sandpaper and the file.

I bet you can do it. My first was done when I was only 10 years old. I did have some help from Dad, but limited.

Building a rod is easy, time consuming, but easy.
I’m pretty handy with my carpenter skills and I can easily make something out of the 1x I have lying around for the support of the rod. The only tool I’m worried about is the cork reamer. I don’t have anything which will do the job of that tool. Everything else I’m sure I can figure out a secondary temp solution for.
[signature]
Reamers
http://www.getbitoutdoors.com/tools/drea...rbfdr.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...PbrU2OLjXc
are go buy a long drill bit

a big book works good to run the thread between the pages for a tensioner when wrapping the eyes,

If you don't have a way to turn the rod you may need a faster drying, epoxy to put on the thread.
[signature]
Rob building is easy and fun! Not to put in plugs for fly shops but there are two that really helped me when i first started anglers den in Riverdale and fish tech in sandy. They can get you what you need and also tell you tricks to use. Like the book to slow the line and rat tail file to ream the cork handle. You can also make your own reamer with an old blank and glue. and youtube is a fly tier and rod builders best friend.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have all the tools...including cork reamers. I would be happy to show you the basics and then let you do the wrapping and completion...with assistance where needed.

Here is a simplified overview of rod making.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat, as always you are amazing! I need to make a trip to your tackletorium to stock up on ice gear anyways so it could be a 2fer. I’ll just let you know when I can swing by.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You are always welcome.

What kind of rods will you be building? Spinning, fly, baitcast...or ??? Do you already have the other components...like guides, handle, etc.? If not, the first visit might be deciding what you need and getting in an order for the necessaries. I keep a pretty good supply of guides, thread and some handle materials. But depending on what kind of handle and guides you want it may be necessary to go shopping online.

I also have the adhesives and the clear coat finish for the completed rods...and the turning motor to rotate them while the epoxy coat is drying.

Making rods is like many other things in life. A bit confusing and frustrating the first time or two. But once you have gone through the whole process it is fairly simple. After that you can spend a lifetime learning little refinements and developing your own unique touches that make your rods special.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The blanks I was given are tips from fly rods. My buddie owns Blue Halo and wants me to build him one along with mine. He is thinking about getting into the ice fishing scene along with the fly fishing.
I will order my cork and reel seats and get the eyes. I do have one question where can I check for a reference on the sizing of the eyes? I’m not sure what numerical sizes I need. I am going to be picky on this rod and it will have the components from many ice rods over the years which I wish I had.
Let me get my things in order and I’m going to try and get all the handles on and get as much ready before I need to swing by the shop.
Again thanks for the offer of help. I’m getting excited for this build.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not to try to discourage you, but unless the action on those fly rod tips is at least a six or seven weight you are not likely to be happy with them as ice rods. It depends on where you will fish and for what species. But if the rods are too wimpy you will have trouble with hooksets and/or being able to handle fish of any sizes. And most experienced ice anglers prefer a fast action...with a light tip and a sturdier rear section for better hooksets and fish fighting.

The number, sizes and spacing of the guides is determined by the finished length of the rod and the action. You want enough guides to distribute the pull and flex of the rod, but not so many that they increase friction and icing. Most ice rods I use are about 4 feet. I use 4-5 guides plus a tip top.

I am attaching a sizing chart from Jann's Netcraft. I usually use a 25 for the first guide above the reel. Then I drop to 20, 16, and one or two size 12s. I seldom use the glue-on tip tops. The eye sizes are too small for ice fishing and they ice up too quickly. Instead, I wrap on a single foot guide...size 12 or even larger.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]