Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Fillet a Halibut
How to fillet a Halibut [left]Step 1[/left] [left] [Image: halibut1.jpg] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left]Notice how I am cutting, following
the bone structure along the gill plate and other bones. A
good bare handed feel across the surface of this region
should be obvious where to cut. Draw a line mentally of the bone structure, and make the cut all the way across. Step 3 shows the cut all the way across. [/left]

Step 2

[Image: halibut2.jpg]

Following the spine of the fish, starting from the tail cutting deep and one cut slice from tail to our first cut at the head. The spine basically follows the lateral line, which shows it’s self really well on the white side as shown in step 10.

Step 3

[Image: halibut3.jpg]

Notice the rest of the cut from step one. A cut along the tail, slice down the spine, and our first cut across the head bone structure and we’re on our way to the deep fryer. Almost…

Step 4

[Image: halibut4.jpg]

Now start a slice at an angle as shown and continue slicing in single long strokes. Continue the strokes being patient cutting ¼” – ½” on
each pass. Even if you miss the angle in places don’t stop the stroke of
the blade! Finish the cut from head to tail to provide a smooth even cut. Fold the flesh back to expose each cut with some pressure. Let the knife follow the rib bones. Depending on how sharp the knife is determines the angle. You can shave with my knife so the angle is small.

Step 5

[Image: halibut5.jpg]

Now take notice on the inside last cut. I see a section that has the outline
of the fish’s fin. I cut deeper than normal to exaggerate what to look for.
It’s not bad to go to far, but then some trimming before skinning is required which comes later in step 14.

Step 6

[Image: halibut6.jpg]

Now I start a cut along the edge of the fish lifting with mild pressure following along the fin line with the blade. If done with a sharp knife it is
very easy as if ripping tissue paper. I can’t stress the importance of a really
sharp knife to make this task easy. SAFTEY: Always cut away from your self and wearing a fillet glove is a must for anyone just learning to fillet fish or
a boat underway.

Step 7

[Image: halibut7.jpg]

Slice the other ½ the same way except going from tail to head stopping each cut when the gut sack is reached.

Step 8 [left] [Image: halibut8.jpg][/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left]In this picture the rib’s branch out to the fins almost like a tree, which means the end of the cut, shown in step #4. This next picture also gives a good view of the gut sack and a fish full of eggs. She was spawning hard as a few very excited males where caught in the same area. The egg’s are considered by some as delicacy eaten raw. Hmmmm? So I finished the cut when seeing the “tree” from the rib bones and then used the same technique to separate the fillet from the fish shown in step #6. [/left] [left] [/left] [left]Step 9[/left]

[Image: halibut9.jpg]

One side with it’s finished look. There is a piece of meat visible over the gut sack. Kind of the same as a tuna or yellow. There’s meat there and very bony, with some work or a smoker, can make some good eating. Just takes too much time IMO to clean and I skip cleaning that small part.

COOKING TIP: For the smoker, I’d
treat it like a yellow
or tuna belly and smoke
that piece whole.

Step 10

[Image: halibut10.jpg]

Here is a good shot of the lateral line. The spine runs along until it reaches
the curve. Then it follows kind of close but straighter. Following the line makes following the spine with the blade much easier. After some practice
following it with just the feel from the blades handle comes naturally.

Step 11

[Image: halibut11.jpg]

Here I am cutting using the same methods used on the brown side.
Notice the skin flap near the tail. I did not cut deep enough before slicing down the side and the blade followed the meat instead of the skin. This little mistake is not bad, really nothing was wasted.

Step 12

[Image: halibut12.jpg]

CHEEKS
This is something you can try with some bigger fish. Tuna and yellows and bass have the same kind of cheek structure that can be cut out. The size of the fish and extra effort is dictated by time. Do you have time to cut this?
It’s really good on big blue fin. Same as any other fish, there are 2 sides
you can cut out. The white side has the same chunk of delicious meat.

Step 13

[Image: halibut13.jpg]

I start a cut from the tail ½” in to get something to hold on to. This does not work well with a mushy un-cared for fish. So bleeding, icing, and general care of your catch is important.Angle of the blade, sharpness, and practice is key here. This is showing a perfect half way cut of the fillet. I folded the fillet back just to show you what it’s supposed to look like, so you can check your work during this task.

Step 14

[Image: halibut14.jpg]

I sliced down the “tree” tissue and ready to skin. Some trimming slices can rid the fillet of any bones or gut sack remains. Now I am finishing the cut. I
wiggle the skin in my left-hand back and forth/up and down slightly, and the blade follows very closely to the skin. Gaff marks, scar tissue, and too much angle on the blade may cause problems such as wasted meat and skin patches, so go slow in those areas and check as you go. If any problem occurs ---- stop the cut and restart on the opposite side, which sometimes can save a fillet during an mistake.

Step 15

[Image: halibut15.jpg]

One quarter of the fish is all done. Now finish skinning the other 3 pieces. Easy right?
[signature]