Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS?
So . . . What to do? I started this thread so as not to congest the other one and toss out proposals for solutions. The problem is identified. Too many pups. At the end of this, I ask you for your input, what would motivate you to keep more?

Apparently the campaign to cook 'em and eat 'em has peaked, and is no longer enough. That message has been out for nearly 20 years now. (I have video tape and text of that message beginning in the mid-90's from previous biologists from both Utah and Wyoming) One Wyoming biologist asked me in the late 90's, "Jim, how can we get more people to keep those small lake trout?" I told him, "Make them taste like walleye!" We both laughed, but realized it was a tough question.
Ongoing efforts to popularize more recipies might maintain that motivation to keep smaller fish, but it's showing it's not enough.

Everybody seems to have contest fever these days, espeecially those that like to ice fish. So . . . How about something resembling the burbot bash, a Pup Smashup, or something more catchy? Could/would DWR consider eliminating the daily and possession limits during the contest, under the permit, so that an unlimited number of pups could be harvested, studied, and counted? I'm sure the local communities would get behind it like the burbot bash. I never thought I'd be the one saying this lake needs another fishing derby (like a hole in the head!), but, the bash works, and that's undeniable. The open water derbies could be modified to be more beneficial as well.

How about the existing open-water derbies? Instead of the existing payout for the largest lake trout (even if released), how about eliminating that all together and creating a BIG payout for the most pups brought in during the derby? I'd get behind this in a heartbeat, donate a guided trip right off the top, and I'm sure could raise side cash to make it a payout worth fishing for. I'm talking tripling or quadrupling the current payout. That might motivate some participants. Again, lifting the 8-fish limit would greatly increase the draw to the category, the sponsorship to grow the winnings, and the effectiveness of changing the priority in the first place. I'll kick in $500 cash plus a guided trip worth $1,000 right now, on the record, if the above happens. I would approach Jerry at Lucerne with the idea as well.

If I'm not mistaken, Ducks Unlimited has been doing this with its June Derby, though inhibited by the 8-fish limit? I'm not around for it, but I think they thought things through and don't have a big laker category. Maybe someone can confirm? Not sure what Buckboard does, but there's three derby weekends that could do wonders for thinning the pups if enough fishermen were motivated to do so. No-limit pup fishing. Thousand of pups dead! Boom. This year. No red tape. mitigate the damages. Solution.

Is it possible, necessary, or effective to raise the general possession limit on pups as someone suggested earlier in this thread so that people visiting for more than one day can take a limit every day? That doesn't sound like rocket science to me.

And/or, should the daily limit be raised? In this case, I personally don't have the exact biological data or studies to show what effects raising the possession or daily limit might have, or have had in other similar situations, but logic would tell me it couldn't hurt. Think of some of the out of area anglers who might now come if they could take home a bunch of fillets. I get phone calls from Californians monthly where the first question is "how many can we keep and bring back with us?" I"m sure others all around the country might wonder the same thing. Bottom line on both ideas is would increased limits increase harves outside of competitions? Don't know until you try is the most reasonable answer, since nobody can know for sure.

When regulation changes to benefit fisheries have been proposed in the past, they have often been dragged out through the RAC and legislative processes. In this case, its sounds as if it could be deemed an emergency change. It's been done at other fisheries, and for other wildlife, so why not now. I'll raise money to pay for signage at the boat ramps. I bet some kind of go-fund-me kind of thing would pay for those signs in less than a week. I'll do it. On the record, right now.

Proposed solutions. The "Keep the pups, they're good to eat" message hasn't been enough. Nor has the idea of keeping them just to keep them to benefit the lake biologically. Money talks, Sad but true. Meat hunters like lots of meat. That's logical. Makes sense. Make it worth their time and expense. Fill those smokers in a weekend. Let's get it rolling.

It it were all to work, then of course there would have to be a check in the system to maintain harvest levels at that "balanced" level. I wouldn't want it to get out of hand like it has in a neighboring state where "reducing" lake trout numbers turns into a giant massacre of all they can get. This selective and managed harvest needs to be done while still maintaining the population of larger, non-operpopulated fish, which despite rumors and conclusions, have plenty of desirable forage to eat on this 16th day of December 2017. I see and handle as many as anybody. They ain't starving.

However, I have also seen the populaton explosion (my term) of pup lakers. There's a whole bunch of 22-28 inchers out there that weren't there less than a decade ago. Even in just the past 2-3 years, they're showing up everywhere like never before.

For those who may not know, I spend 130 days a year fishing exclusively for lake trout on the Gorge. I started fishing for them in 1981, and guiding for them in 1990. I used up over 5,000 full days of my life fishing the gorge, so I've seen the fishery through most of its path. The fish-eating sized fish 30" and over are still looking good for the most part, though not as big and fat as they were, on average, in the 90's when the majority were "footballs". I don't count 'em or keep stats. on every fish caught, but I see enough, with enough regularity, to be able to rely on emperical evidence for general conclusions. We take length, girth, and weights on many of the really big ones, and I've seen the weights drop a little for given lengths and girths. I stand by that. With that much evidence, the conclusions are as accurate as all the (very limited) gill net data from each year, and I'd argue more accurate, though that's not the purpose of this discussion. I sample fish all year, for decades, with no lapses, at the same places, at the same times, all up and down the lake. And in the case of too many pups, which is the topic we're discussing by itself, even the limited biological data appears to confirm my emperical data. There isn't any disagreement that I've heard.

We need to thin the herd, figure out what will motivate more anglers to do so, and get it implimented in a timely fashion before its a huge uphill battle.

Can anybody with an interest say what would motivate you to harvest more pups than you do now? Tell us. I'm sure I'm missing some things. Somebody out there has more positive ideas! Keep it focused on reducing pups.
[signature]
Good post Jim. I agree with everything you put up. The hang up is this, I can’t stand to eat trout of any kind- especially lakers. What am I going to do with 30 of these things? I know, I’m not helping the “these are good when cooked this way” campaign. The only way to make this work would be to get a catch and kill order by the DWR passed. Like for the perch at fish lake with no waste law. Even if this were for the one weekend of the pup palooza derby weekend. But I could see the nightmare of CO’s trying to manage the excuses the following weekend when wanton waste would be enforced, and that’s a serious punishment- as it should be. I’m on board and would vote for your proposal, but my vote ain’t getting you much.
[signature]
I know this is just one consumer opinion about eating pups. but here is my 40 years of fishing the gorge and eating fish. The pups taste great! anything from 2-10 pounds is great! the bigger fish to my taste buds are fishy and not as good. I keep pups and release the bigger fish. On another note, when filleting the fish you see a layer of fat on the outside or the fish. I tend to cut this out and makes the fish taste that much better. If i had to pick a home water growing up at the gorge is it! I hurt when the burbot came in and the bass went out. Its great to see more cutts and even some cutt/bows. We do need to take care of this water!
[signature]
Macman: Unfortunately, I too can't stand eating lake trout, and I've tried 'em like Bubba's Shrimp: Baked, fried, smoked, canned, fresh on an open fire, shore lunch styles, soup, tacos. . . . I've tried, I really have. There's a bounty of fresh laker right in my hands every day! Oh, if they only were grouper, or snapper, or cod, or walleye, or halibut, or snook, or shrimp, or yellow perch, or any number of other fish I enjoy. I'd live on them and cut my grocery bill considerably. (Makes me miss Alaska and Florida!)

I savor certain fish, but not lakers, and not trout per se. My wife enjoys them, and I'll bring her home a small pup from time to time. But, taste in food is personal, and apparently there's not enough folks who enjoy them enough to create sufficient harvest. Millions of people eat broccoli. Not me. I can't prove it, but I'd bet everything I owned we wouldn't be having this conversation if they had the meat of a walleye. Even something like striper/wiper. But they don't. So we need to encourage harvest in additional ways besides the taste buds of those who enjoy them. I encourage anyone who hasn't tried one to see if they like it. Everyone can decide on their own pallette.

So I won't be, and haven't been, any help on harvesting except for letting my customers keep a limite of pups. However, in my informal surveys of thousands of anglers who have tried them in the last 30 years, including daily shore-lunches in my years in Canada, the general concensus is, lets just say, "Jim, can you make us walleye or pike for lunch the rest of the week?"
[signature]
I'm sticking with my opinion on the "take someone-teach someone" approach. There are a thousand guys on this site that would love to take home what to them are BIG fish, but have no idea how, are intimidated by all the prep and cost, or maybe even some who don't know this opportunity exists.

I RARELY keep trout because I can't stand the taste of mushy white planters. Pinked up meaty bigger fish you can steak out, smoke, or get around the bones better is another thing entirely. And I have had to talk people into eating catfish, perch, elk, and bear before. Surely we can convince people this is essentially like freshwater salmon.

Anybody that showed me how to fish for them could expect me to respect your stuff, pay my share of gas, and take a limit home (possibly another limit twice a year from then on once I had hope of scoring regularly.) And again, I promise, I am not the only one.

Heck, take out a whole scout troop. I'll bust out my smoker. I'll freeze them in blocks of milk.
[signature]
Derby named the “PUP SUP.”

First place goes to the best recipe cooked on the ice.
[signature]
That's not the hang up for most people. Boaters on this lake fishing for rainbows, kokanee, smallmouth bass, and even burbot catch pup macks by accident! I certainly don't target them either, but we catch them and consider them a nusance because they inturrupt our concerted effort to catch the big ones these days. Can't keep 'em from hitting. (that didn't used to be the case in the 90's and early 2000's) There is a wealth of information all over on how to catch small macks, so its not like its being kept a secret. I've taught thousands myself, granted they've paid for that lesson, but they've passed it on to their friends over and over.

I don't believe there's "a thousand guys on this site that would love to take home what to them are BIG fish, but have no idea how, are intimidated by all the prep and cost, or maybe even some who don't know this opportunity exists."

If you find 1000 guys on this site that meet that criteria, I'll set aside a weekend for a weekend seminar and teach the class. They pay for the auditorium or whatever venue for me to make a presentation. Lures, maps with waypoints, presentation techniques, tackle, everything I know, and I'll even bring in some other "experts" and tackle reps with me. They'd be all over that! FREE of charge.

I'm on record. Offer good through now through June 15, and August 1-September 15. ( I have fly fishing appointments on other weekends!)
[signature]
Seems like an opportunity for netting like at Utah Lake. Let the people (business) netting the fish, keep any burbot, carp and lake trout pups they catch.
[signature]
Well, ok, a THOUSAND should obviously be hyperbole to any reader. But added all up, including lurkers, it seems a fair number of fishermen do exist.

And l've sat though a few seminars, took good notes, and done what I was taught (again, no shortage of information here on this site either.) As I said, been to the burbot bash twice and all that. I've even read a book. Why I haven't caught one yet is still a mystery to me. Seems like every time it's some new reason. Basically, the "should have been here last week" kind of thing. Both BBASHES I went to had poor catch rates, I remember. That's the point. Nothing like a little one-on-one.

I don't claim to be a great fisherman, but I'm not dumb, I'm willing to work, and used to putting in effort to be successful, not entirely hopeless. Hell, I shoot elk with bows I make from trees I chopped down myself. That's a fair level of skill if I say so myself. But, it took years to learn. YEARS without a mentor.

And, forget boats. I don't have one, probably never will. It's ice time NOW, or soon, when the fish are supposedly accessible to anyone willing to walk. I have hand drilled a dozen holes through 22" of ice more than once, at the Gorge, so it isn't my level of effort.

So, why aren't the "happy harvesters" we see at Utah lake tanking up on white bass up there targeting lakers? Can't we get them up there taking trout?
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]Seems like an opportunity for netting like at Utah Lake. Let the people (business) netting the fish, keep any burbot, carp and lake trout pups they catch.[/quote]

I don't want to go there. Too much bycatch, and the lake trout haters start killing all sizes. Any effort must be under control and a watchful eye. They started netting in Blue Mesa in Colorado, and ruined the whole laker fishery. Wanton killing of bigger lakers, witnessed and documented. Again, don't even want to go there.
[signature]
[quote Springbuck]
And, forget boats. I don't have one, probably never will. It's ice time NOW, or soon, when the fish are supposedly accessible to anyone willing to walk. I have hand drilled a dozen holes through 22" of ice more than once, at the Gorge, so it isn't my level of effort.

So, why aren't the "happy harvesters" we see at Utah lake tanking up on white bass up there targeting lakers? Can't we get them up there taking trout?[/quote]

A dozen 10-holes amounts to, roughly 12 square feet of water. I can cover that in a boat in about a minute or two in a boat. Sorry, but way too random. The real go-getters tell me they drill dozens of holes a day! I don't ice fish for this very reason, and mainly for this very reason. (That's another topic!)

The "happy harvesters tanking up on white bass" is what I'm talking about on palatability. If lakers tasted like white bass, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Or crappie. Or walleye, Or, c'mon, they're lake trout. That's the problem! They're broccoli and spinach, not Ben and Jerry's. They're pressed meat, not a choice cut. We have to stop kidding ourselves. That's why people smoke 'em, and bottle 'em, and cook 'em all kinds of ways, sometimes for days. I'm hoping we can find a solution beyond trying to convince someone to eat something that they don't want to eat. That's not working. I appreciate all the harvest and those who like eating them. Good thing some people do. Not enough though, and you can't change your taste buds.
[signature]
I would support a derby that allowed for unlimited pups be kept. Especially, if there was a big prize. [Smile] I would also support the limit to be raised to 12 for Lakers less than 26 inches if Lakers over 26 inches are required to be caught and released. Just my opinion. I want my son to see some monsters when he is older and a picture is all need![fishon]
[signature]
consider donating unwanted lakers to some of the "feed the needy type facilities"

Doners would need to be respectful of the fish and consumers by keeping them properly refridgerated until consumed.

rj
[signature]
I have a friend that does carp bow fishing derbys he says that tbe mink farmers come in and take the fish i love your derby idea maybe this would be a viable option if its is legal with a game fish. Love the gorge and want to see it thrive.
[signature]
"I can cover that in a boat in about a minute or two in a boat." Great, but if the idea is finding a solution, you by yourself can't be the only answer, right?

It doesn't matter how much water you can cover, or even how many pups you catch. Because unless they give a handful of guys like you free reign to just kill fish wholesale and toss em, (likely? no.) your impact on numbers is limited. You can catch a limit per day, sure, but you won't keep that many, right? Raising the limit doesn't help in that case either. You need more people keeping MORE fish. That's it. Or we can wait until the fishery is really ruined and see if they slap on a "kill and keep" mandatory order.

I've only eaten lakers a few times, and perhaps that's my problem. But, I did not find them objectionable at all. Yes, they are large enough that a day's limit might last me most of a year.

Now, I like fish. I've had some pretty fishy fish in Taiwan. I have a broad palate, but even I don't care for planter rainbows. Every lake trout from FG I have tasted (one baked, one grilled outside, one smoked) was better than average smaller caught trout. And, I like broccoli and spinach.

BUT, I have had to talk some trout-eaters into even believing that WB or perch were edible. Let's say lake trout are hotdogs, not steak. So what?

I bet lake trout-yakitori with strong teriyaki sauce would taste great. I'll trade you the next 20 WB filets I catch for a fresh 6 pounder.
[signature]
I think what Jim was saying is on the grand scheme of things, that’s not much coverage. I do have a boat, and have not had much luck catching pups. I haven’t targeted them a ton, but when I have, no luck. Macs are just hard to catch in my opinion. I haven’t even caught many while fishing for kokes. Ultimately, if the problem is as bad as they are saying, the only way to solve it, is to remove the law of wanton waste on the size they want gone- and do it quickly, seems simple. I’ve always respected this fish and would have a hard time with sinking one to the bottom, but I could do it if it helped. Better the crawdads eat it than me. Macs are my favorite fish to pursue and least favorite to eat. I’m with Jim, I eat fish 3-4 times a week- just can’t gut trout and I grew up on it.
[signature]
[quote Springbuck]
And l've sat though a few seminars, took good notes, and done what I was taught (again, no shortage of information here on this site either.) As I said, been to the burbot bash twice and all that. I've even read a book. Why I haven't caught one yet is still a mystery to me.
So, why aren't the "happy harvesters" we see at Utah lake tanking up on white bass up there targeting lakers? Can't we get them up there taking trout?[/quote]

I have a lake in Washington State that I catch big Bows and monster Browns in. Now that I have moved to Utah, I don't get there often. But.......

That lake is full of great fish, but the average fisherman catches skunks and the fair fisherman catch hammer handles. So, why do I do so well (often C&R 50 fish a day over 18")?

I took some fisherman out to fish the lake, good fisherman, and the first trip all they could say was how lucky I was and all I could say is try doing it the way I say.

The next trip they were getting spanked again so they started to try to do some of the things, claiming they were doing it all, and still doing poorly.

The third trip they started to listen, watch, learn, and finally they started to do well. Still, it was the 8th or 9th trip before they started to do as well or better the I was.

The point is that sometimes it takes more than listening to seminars, but they help. Sometimes it takes more than reading a book, but it helps. Sometimes it truly does take fishing with someone. That is the biggest reason the old bass pro-am tournament format was so good - it allowed amateurs to fish with and learn from pros.

As for the happy harvesters, well it is a case of logistics.

First, FG is a long trip and UL is close to most of us.

Second, Lakers require a bigger boat and most White Bass are caught in shallower water and do not require the boat. Even ice fishing requires a good hike or a machine to get to the better spots.

Third, White Bass require pretty simple tackle compared to Lakers.

Personally, I prefer to eat Non-trout species myself, but, a pup Laker taste at least as well as the slimer rainbows most people seem to like. No, a LOT BETTER.
[quote Springbuck]

I am sure that I will come across as a "Downer", but even the "happy harvesters" and their full buckets of fish do not notably affect the white bass population in Utah Lake. It is affected by spawning success and water levels, but harvest does not change things much at all. Sadly, this is almost always what we have seen with other DWR initiatives to increase harvest. Whether it is smallies at Jordanelle and Deer Creek, Brown trout in the middle or lower Provo, perch at Fish Lake, walleyes in Starvation, FG lakers or other examples, we never see enough harvest to make much of a difference. As has been noted, since FG is far away from population centers and a boat is required to really effectively hammer them, the hope that harvest will control them is even more unlikely. Even in places like Yellowstone lake, which has mandatory catch and kill plus netting and other measures, there has only been slow population reductions.

So what to do? In spite of the above pessimism, here is what I would consider.

1. Either no limit or a very high limit, like 40-50 fish for lakers under 20-24 inches. This would allow those that do want to really take a lot of fish and have the skills to do so, a chance to not be hindered in their efforts. It would also allow you to have contests like the burbot bash for the lakers. The burbot bash would not have what success it has if there was a limit on them.

2. I hate to say this, but netting and some of the things learned in Yellowstone lake may be the only thing that would make a large difference. I am not much of a laker guy, but it is my understanding that the pups often inhabit different areas than the larger ones. It might be possible to do it without too much bycatch. FG is a lot larger than Blue Mesa. However, some loss of bigger fish is inevitable, but it may be the price needed to be paid to improve the situation.
[signature]
I agree 100%!

I couldn't catch a walleye on purpose to save my life many years ago. I read, I went to seminars, I went with guys who knew what they were doing. It all eventually helped, but the best road to success was MANY walleye fishing trips. Eventually I would score a fish or two and that info, feel, etc. all got catalogued into my subconscious and eventually I got to the point where I could expect to catch walleyes if I was fishing for them.
The same goes with Lakers. I can catch them most times I try to, but it took lots of trips to get to that point. There aren't too many shortcuts out there to being in the 10% of anglers that catch 90% of the fish unfortunately.

As far as eating lake trout goes, I stand by my opinion that if someone doesn't like the taste of lake trout pups prepared the same way as any other trout then I really think that they just don't like trout. Even 30" Lakers are good, albeit a little more fatty. The fattiness is what makes them so good to me. I'm not much of a fried trout guy though. I love my trout grilled or even broiled. I think white meat fish are better fried. I don't get elaborate about sauces and spices on trout either. That stand on their own merits and flavor without needing to hide the taste....just good old salt, pepper, garlic salt and maybe lemon pepper. I also think that many fisherman still don't know how to properly prepare a fillet off of a trout, especially a laker. These fish need to be filleted and also the pin bones removed. Grill them with the skin on (skin side down) to help them to hold together on the grill and they will be surprised at just how darn good these critters really are. If a guy likes salmon then odds are he would like lake trout on the grill.

BTW, I also agree that the lake trout pups taste WAY better than planter rainbows. Now how do we get people to want to keep these fish? We need to be better at marketing lake trout meat. If we could figure out a way to get the masses to try it (maybe at a contest or tournament that already is bringing loads of fishermen up) and show how good it can be done in simple recipes then we may have a shot at getting many of them to come back up for a meat hunt a few times a year.

I really like Tarpon Jim's idea for a catch and keep contest with no limit on pups. That could really make a difference if the money is substantial enough. I just wonder what the odds of getting the DWR to buy off on it are? Probably pretty slim. I'd love to hear one of the representatives of DWR chime in with their opinion and the divisions ability to allow no limits.

Mike
[signature]
There's big rats in Louisiana swamps. They didn't get anywhere by telling people to eat big rats. But, now they call them nutria as in nutritious. At least it sounds better.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=nutri...&as_rights=

Then there's Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZm2UOam74

It's all in the presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZm2UOam74

Perhaps that'll help.
[signature]