Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS?
I agree 100%!

I couldn't catch a walleye on purpose to save my life many years ago. I read, I went to seminars, I went with guys who knew what they were doing. It all eventually helped, but the best road to success was MANY walleye fishing trips. Eventually I would score a fish or two and that info, feel, etc. all got catalogued into my subconscious and eventually I got to the point where I could expect to catch walleyes if I was fishing for them.
The same goes with Lakers. I can catch them most times I try to, but it took lots of trips to get to that point. There aren't too many shortcuts out there to being in the 10% of anglers that catch 90% of the fish unfortunately.

As far as eating lake trout goes, I stand by my opinion that if someone doesn't like the taste of lake trout pups prepared the same way as any other trout then I really think that they just don't like trout. Even 30" Lakers are good, albeit a little more fatty. The fattiness is what makes them so good to me. I'm not much of a fried trout guy though. I love my trout grilled or even broiled. I think white meat fish are better fried. I don't get elaborate about sauces and spices on trout either. That stand on their own merits and flavor without needing to hide the taste....just good old salt, pepper, garlic salt and maybe lemon pepper. I also think that many fisherman still don't know how to properly prepare a fillet off of a trout, especially a laker. These fish need to be filleted and also the pin bones removed. Grill them with the skin on (skin side down) to help them to hold together on the grill and they will be surprised at just how darn good these critters really are. If a guy likes salmon then odds are he would like lake trout on the grill.

BTW, I also agree that the lake trout pups taste WAY better than planter rainbows. Now how do we get people to want to keep these fish? We need to be better at marketing lake trout meat. If we could figure out a way to get the masses to try it (maybe at a contest or tournament that already is bringing loads of fishermen up) and show how good it can be done in simple recipes then we may have a shot at getting many of them to come back up for a meat hunt a few times a year.

I really like Tarpon Jim's idea for a catch and keep contest with no limit on pups. That could really make a difference if the money is substantial enough. I just wonder what the odds of getting the DWR to buy off on it are? Probably pretty slim. I'd love to hear one of the representatives of DWR chime in with their opinion and the divisions ability to allow no limits.

Mike
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS? - by Tarponjim - 12-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Re: [Anglinarcher] Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS? - by gmwahl - 12-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Re: [MACMAN] Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS? - by PBH - 12-21-2017, 02:51 PM
RE: Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS? - by FishwithKids - 12-17-2020, 03:57 PM
RE: Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS? - by Jbworkin - 02-04-2021, 11:54 PM
RE: Gorge Mack Pups--SOLUTIONS? - by wiperhunter2 - 02-05-2021, 02:54 PM