Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Reservoir Dec 19th
[fishon]
I wanted to set a personal record for the latest date fishing from my boat in Utah mountains so I called a friend and headed up to Jordanelle Resevoir today. Mainly picked Jordanelle because reports were decent and we didn’t have much time. Arrived about 12:30 and trolled up the Red Cliffs arm until about 3:30. 5 rainbow from 16-17 inches and a really nice brown trout at 18 inches. Trolled from 1.2- 1.6 mph. First fish at 40 ft with a yellow black flatfish, one rainbow was caught at 45 ft on a dodger with a pink squid trailor. 2 rainbow were caught on top using a #2 Bronze mepps and the Brown was caught on a 2.5 inch bronze needlefish. Saw 2-3 boats on the lake is all. Didn’t really expect much being so late in the year, so I was pleasantly surprised. How often do we have a chance to do that so late and not be ice fishing??? I’ll take it!!
[signature]
Way to go! That fish in the second pic looks like a cutthroat. Are you sure it was a rainbow? Fred K.
[signature]
[quote wiper_junkie]Way to go! That fish in the second pic looks like a cutthroat. Are you sure it was a rainbow? Fred K.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
No doubt about it, it's a cutt.
[signature]
You know... you’re right!!!! Just didn’t expect one to be a cutt at Jordanelle I guess?? Glad you noticed. Is your name Wiper Junkie because you’re an expert on Wipers? Never caught one because I’ve never really fished a place where they’re at. Maybe you can educate me and share your knowledge and wisdom? Since the DWR has put them in a few places closer to home, I’ll get that chance?
[signature]
Nice fish. Thanks for the info. Is the red cliff arm the same as the Provo arm? How far in the arm were you? You didn't have a lot of time to troll so nice catch.
[signature]
Red cliff arm is the same as the Provo River arm (at least for me). Honestly, we headed in there to get out of the wind. Trolled along the south side. Caught most of the fish when we got in there about 1/3 to 2/3 of the way. I haven’t fished Jordanelle for years, so I didn’t really know what to expect so we just tried the regulars we use on other lakes and we got lucky. I’ll go back next year when we can fish for bass too. I like fisheries that have different types and fish. Starvation, Deer Creek, and actually hoping that the wipers and Muskie do well at Scofield.
[signature]
Hi,
The cutt's in Jordanelle come in from the river. As far as I know, they're not planted. There's not a bunch of them in there (from my experience anyway), but there are some. They usually show up just as that one did for you, as an "incidental" catch.
As far as wipers go, I am definitely not an expert ;0) There are several folks on this site who are much more qualified than I to give you a quick tutorial. Truth be know, I haven't even fished them in about five years now. I keep waiting to see if they're going to "boil" again at Willard Bay, but its been very hit or miss for a number of years now. Not anything like it used to be.
My user ID and picture are a hold over from when I used to fish them all of the time. I've tried to change them several times, but have been unable to do so successfully.

These days I have gotten very addicted to chasing the fish in the pictures below, and even my wife has gotten into it (that's me holding the 44" fish that she just caught) ;0) Regards, Fred.
[signature]
"Red cliff arm is the same as the Provo River arm"

[#0000ff]That's "Rock Cliff". See attached map.

They do not stock cutts in Jordanelle but there are a few that wander down from upstream. Some nice ones too. Saw about an 8-9 pounder caught through the ice a few years ago...and I have taken several on various lures through the years. Here's one caught by a young lady during a perch derby hosted by our own Pikeman a few years ago.

[inline "CASSANDRA'S CUTT.jpg"]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I’d be chasing them too after catching those Tiger Muskie! Pineview res. I’m guessing? You must live up that way? Willard Bay and pineview and even Mantua have enticed me but I don’t live close, but if I did, I’d be doing the same. I’ve got the bug to go after more warm water fish along with trout. Back 100 years ago when I was young, 99 percent of all waters only had trout.
[signature]
Nice picture !!! Cute little girl too! Was she your relative (like your grandchild, child or niece?). Looking at your profile and based on what I can tell, I’d like to be you when I finally retire. Id fish ever day if I had the time and my wife wouldn’t ask for a divorce!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the kindly comments.

The girl was no relation. Just one of several kids we outfitted with tackle and helped to catch their first fish through the ice. Each kid had to submit a brief one page request for the tackle (donated by Sportsmans) saying how much they liked fishing...or how much they wanted to learn about ice fishing. Hint: they all won. We had plenty of adults to help with drilling holes, rigging tackle, baiting and fish catching. It was a great day and Pikeman and his wife did a fish fry on the ice afterward to prepare some of the catch. We also caught a lot of perch that were delicious with Pikeman's Panko Perch recipe.

See the attached pics.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]