Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
skis on my sled help
Ok the day after we had that snow fall I went up to mantua. had a heck of a time pulling the sled. Seemed like I was plowing though the snow. looked around the internet and it sounds like a modification is needed. Went to DI got a pair of skis . now I think I'm just going to screw 4 6" 2x6 on the ski and screw that to the sled. (next year I may get fancier but right now just a quick fix will do) My Question is do I need to cut the skis ? they are 72" my sled is only 43 thats from the back to the front.
also whats the best position? more ski in front , more in back or try to get it centered
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
If you only plan on hand pulling leave 18-24 in the front and 10in on the back. If using a snowmobile 24 on the front 18 on the back to allow some one to stand
[signature]
Another option to the 2x6 is hockey pucks. I went to an ice sheet, got eight used hockey pucks for free. Drill a hole in the center, double them up, and use them for the height instead of lumber. Built mine two years ago. Never an issue. Just another option to consider if interested.
Ahi, I had the same problem with mine. I drilled through the tips of the ski and ran the rope through the hole and attached it to the 2x6. It lifts the tips so they don’t dig. Worked pretty well. The other mod I like is I don’t screw my sled down. I put eyelets on the 2x6 and bungee it. There is definitely times you don’t want skis and sometimes you don’t know until your there. Here a pic of mine. Suggestions welcome. I didn’t cut my skis.
[signature]
John the longer skis give you more flotation so your sled will float on top of snow better. I love my Smitty it's amazing you're welcome to check it out anytime. If I can find some pics I'll post them up. Good luck. J
[signature]
Hi Ahi,

I did a google search for Smitty sled. I will be making one that breaks down so I can fit it in my hatch. I'd keep the length of the skis as long as you can transport. Like someone else said the longer the skis the more it will float.

-Ryan
[signature]
Thanks Guys.
Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou.
[signature]
well this is what I ended up with. made with bits and pieces I had laying around. Like I said just a quick fix. I'll make a better one next year. Thank you all for your input.
[signature]
Resurrecting this post......has anyone tried using water skis instead of snow skis? I have a couple sets of ancient water skis that I think I may use to build something like this. I would think the wider skis would stay right on top of the snow. Thoughts?
[signature]