Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing
I live in Salt Lake City, UT and have fished rivers for years but new to ice fishing. I would love to go with someone a few times and learn from you. Jeff
[signature]
Welcome to the site Jeff, I'm going to move your post to our Utah board, so you can get other replies.
WH2
[signature]
PM me and I'll take you on a perch hunt or similar, Jeff. My schedule is a little erratic.
I usually have some time off, but little warning as to when. I'm no expert, but I usually get some.

You sound like you are right where I was about 12 years ago, when I decided to learn more and branch out. This is a great site for that.
[signature]
Jeff here. Thanks for the offer it would be great to get out. I went Sunday by myself to Pine View and caught a few perch but is was slow. When would you like to go? I have poles, an auger, sled, and an Eskimo 3 tent. Will need advice on what to fish with.

Jeff[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT and glad you got out and found fish... Pretty good if you get fish on your first ice trip... well done... Later J
[signature]
Brand new into it and already this equipped?

Dude, you're set! Don't let being solo and knowing very little about ice fishing keep you from going out alone. If you learn on your own, you have an opportunity to discover tactics that others may not think about.

Fishing with others is a great learning tool as well, but be open to gaining some of that knowledge organically as well.

I'm no pro on ice, that's for sure (come on, spring), but some basics are to have and try a variety of types of plastic jigs (cut'r bugs, gizzilla, paddlebugs, tube jigs) in different colors (popular on ice: pink, white, neon green, glow, pearl, sand) and sizes.

Make sure to have some bait to tip with: meal worms, wax worms, other grubs, minnows, cut bait from chubs or suckers, night crawlers, shrimp, bacon, etc.

A lake with predatory fish may allow you to use bigger offerings (4" white tube w/ 1/8oz head, tipped with a small shiner or a chub tail), but may be over fished and a smaller offering may grab their interest as well.

If you want to go really small, you can use ice flies, rat finkies, shimpos and ratsos. Even normal nymph flies will work sometimes.

Some people like to use a flasher a couple of feet up the line to attract fish. Some people will put two or three jigs/lures on the same line at different depths, using different offerings to hone in on what works.

Tip: Pet stores have really big meal worms that might get noticed before the usual sizes. They also have crickets...

Go have fun and come up with some neat ideas.

(And welcome to BFT.)
[signature]
I second what LOAH said about going alone, just do it.
I do enjoy fishing with others but fishing on your own is one of Gods gifts to us anglers to enjoy.
I never did understand when someone wouldn't go fishing if they did not have someone to go with, but i ain't right in the head most of the time anyway......
[signature]
Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your kind and informative message. All good stuff I will try and helpful. I do enjoy fishing alone and have most of my life in rivers. Just clueless on the ice and needed some advice to get started. Been out alone and with another a couple of times and enjoying it. Thinking about going to Flaming Gorge the 23rd and 24th for Burbot neither of us have fished for them before.
Thanks again

Jeff
[signature]
Sorry I missed your reply, I was keeping an eye on private messages.

I may be done icefishing for the year, but maybe not. It's just been weird, so I am out of ideas. If I have one, I'll let you know.
[signature]