Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Report - Jan 15, 2018 (and surrounding area ponds)
Bear Lake is all open water. Boats can be launched at the Utah State Park marina, 1st Point, Cisco Beach and Rainbow Cove boat ramps in Utah AND courtesy docks are in the water at all locations. There is also boat launching available on the Idaho side of the lake at their East Shore State Park ramp and North Beach ramp.

There have been no sign of cisco along Cisco Beach as of this morning (Jan 15th), however, boat anglers are reporting they are just beginning to catch one or two cisco off the rockpile by jigging. Anglers are doing good to excellent for cutthroat trout and some lake trout by jigging off the Gus Rich Point/Rockpile area as well as off 2nd Point and Cisco Beach. Trolling should also work well in these areas. If you are jigging, use tube jigs or swim baits in various colors in ½ to 1 ounce sizes and 3-6” long. Try tipping them with cisco, sucker meat or Gulp minnows. Reliable colors are white, green and motoroil. If you are trolling; use flatfish in U-20 or similar sizes or minnow type lures in #9-13 sizes. Cutthroat trout and lake trout can be found in any depths at this time of year, so if you are trolling parallel to shore, try close to shore in 10’ of water or less and keep moving all the way out to 80 feet or more. Pay attention to your sonar, once you locate fish, target that depth strata. Shore anglers are doing well along Cisco Beach both bait fishing and casting for cutthroat trout. Fly anglers are also able to do quite well at this time of year with large flys such as egg-sucking leaches or articulated bunny flies. Reports from this weekend show that anglers are also catching some Bonneville whitefish off the rockpile using smaller jigging spoons (castmasters, buckshot, Hopkins, etc) and tipping their lures with worms or Gulp worms. You can even add a small dropper ice fly about 8-12” below the main lure and tip that with a maggot.

The cisco run could begin any day, but more likely it will begin around January 20th, plus or minus a few days. Since it will very likely be open water conditions, you should plan to bring up waders to keep you dry and which also allow you to get into the water a little ways from shore. It is also advantageous to have a second person jigging a lure with no hooks on it to attract the cisco closer to your net. When you scoop the cisco, you can scoop up the attractor lure and now worry about it tangling in your dip net.

Remember, you can only dip net your own fish. Party fishing (dipnetting cisco for another angler) is illegal. The daily limit for cisco is 30 fish. The trout limit is two fish. Cutthroat trout with a fin clip may be kept; Cutthroat trout with all fins intact must be immediately released. Large Lake Trout take a long time to reach large sizes, and while they are legal to keep, many anglers are encouraging other anglers to release them.

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
The pond is frozen, but ice conditions may not be safe in all areas. Use extreme caution if you decide to try to ice fish right now. The fishing should be good for rainbow trout using small ice flies tipped with a maggot. Please use the self-service creel cards and let the UDWR know how you did fishing.

Laketown Reservoir
Laketown Reservoir is partially ice covered and fishing has been good in the open water area using bait, flies or spinners. Use extreme caution if you decide to try to ice fish right now
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I may have to give it a try this upcoming weekend if the weather holds out. I have been seeing some great Facebook posts on some huge lakers being caught, and am about due a road trip.
[signature]
Thanks Scott, we sure look forward to this time of year over there... Nice to know when it's getting towards go time... Thanks J
[signature]
yes! Thank you for the information.

humpy
[signature]
Do the cutthroats and Macs follow the Cisco into the shallows?
[signature]
Not trying to answer for Scott but they do come closer and follow them in but I have never seen them as shallow as a foot or two but in years where there is good ice, we have dip netted cisco then gone out about 10 to 20 yds and caught cutts. I think they hang in a little deeper water, waiting for the cisco to come by but rarely chase them into the really shallow water.
[signature]
ok, thanks
[signature]
Yes, they will chase the cisco in towards the shallows. Therefore, anglers who cast lures (crankbaits, spoons, spinners) can do well during the cisco run on open water years, like we have this year. In fact, last year, the day before the run the lake was open water. I watched a guy catch two nice cutts from the shore casting spinners. Oh, the fly anglers who are flinging large flies (egg sucking leach, articulated bunny fur flies, large sculpin patterns and streamers) also can do pretty good.
[signature]
They definately do follow them into shore. I scooped up a 20" Cut in my dipnet accidentally last year when he swam in with a school of cisco. Highlight of the day. Can't wait for next week!
[signature]
Is there anywhere near where the Cisco are where I could drive my truck to the edge of the lake and unload my row boat without having to pay a fee or use a ramp? I transport it on the back of my pickup. It isn't trailered.
[signature]
You'll want to check the regs for Bear Lake, they were talking about only allowing people to launch watercraft from the designated ramps so they could have better control on the invasive species. I didn't hear if that passed or not but be aware they may give you troubles if you launch other than at a ramp. There are places south of Cisco beach if it's legal and you can carry your craft a little ways. You can't take your truck there but can drag a toon. It's not very far with the high water this year. Good luck J
[signature]
It's been a long time since I played at the bear anywhere but the west marina or cisco beach so I really couldn't recommend any one spot. When I drove by the southwest side on my way to birch creek last week the water looked higher than I've seen in a long time. Should bode well for access.
[signature]
In response to your row boat. Do you plan to jig for cisco from your boat? There are quite a few areas along the lake shore to drop a boat in for free, but not close to good cisco jigging areas. If you have an outboard motor, then you can access many good areas.. You cannot dipnet cisco from a boat. I've watched people try to do that for over 26 years and have never, EVER seen anyone have success. First, the cisco do not come under boats in the shallow water that is necessary to dipnet cisco. Secondly physics dictates that if you try to swing a net, the boat moves too much to make it effective. Finally, the state park fee is only $5 or $6 to put a boat in at Cisco Beach. Worth every penny. You can dipnet fish along Cisco Beach from shore, then put your boat in and go offshore less than 50 yards and be in 100' of water where you can fish for trout and whitefish.
[signature]
Thanks for the info!
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the good information. Where does one have to go for a snail inspection prior to launching?
[signature]
If you haven't been on a lake that has the invasive species, you won't need to be inspected, but you need to fill out a form or get your yearly permit on line so you can have it in your vehicle dash and you should carry a second copy with you. Also you may need to stop at inspection station as you enter the Bear Lake area but haven't seen the station lately. Good luck. J
[signature]