Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dana Point Tips End of May
I will be taking a trip down to California from Utah and will be trailering my whaler down. I'm thinking of the Dana Point area and am open to anything that'll fill the freezer with good tasting fillets.

I am hoping for tips on gear, locations, stuff to watch out for, etc.

If you're willing to help out with some info that would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
[signature]
Thanks for your post Quicky and sorry for the late reply.

When do you plan on coming to Cali? There are several species closures until March 1st. After that, there are only depth restrictions.

Let me know your tentative dates. Then I can give you pointers on gear, riggings and species that you could expect to find in that area.
[signature]
The days we are fishing are now in the air. Ideally we would like to chase tuna. I heard Tuna slows down around March then picks back up around July.
If we can go sooner than later I'd like to do that but I'll be indisposed after July.

What is the ideal time to catch tuna and bottom fish after March 1st?
[signature]
The Tuna is hit and miss throughout the year. It all depends on the water temperature.

The El Nino event brought Tuna all the way up to Santa Barbara which normally doesn't happen.

The San Diego boats could get you a better shot at the Tuna after March or April since the warm waters come through their area first.

Other than that, Rockfish are open from March 1st as well as other species except for LIng Cod which starts in May.

California Yellowtails can be caught most of the year. Not to be Confused with Yellowfin Tuna which are warm water only.
[signature]
I have confirmed the trip will be the first weekend in June. The species we will target will be in the following order:
Tuna
Yellowtail
Halibut (Calif. and Pacific)
White Bass
Rock Fish
Whatever else that makes great table fare.

I have been doing a lot of research on what to use and always appreciate more info for locations, baits, cost of bait, etc.
Thanks,
[signature]
No need to worry about bait. They supply that on the boat. Are you still doing the Twilight trip? It would be difficult to reach Tuna on a 5 hour boat ride.

Yellowtail is feasible if you are fishing in the kelp or if there is a school hanging around in the bay.

California Halibut could happen, Pacific Halibut are about 5 hours north (driving) or 15 hours in a boat and Rockfish may be the primary ticket. There could be some Sand Bass by the time you get here.

That would give you a total limit of 10 rockfish and 10 sandbass that you could keep. Unless......you get into some Yellowtail or White Sea Bass.

A double dropper loop is the California special for rigging. The deckhands can tie you up quickly or you can download instructions on how to tie one.

I learned how to tie them one handed and in under 8 seconds. Most people can tie one with both hands in about 40 seconds per knot. Practice makes it easier.

You will need some 4 and 6oz torpedo sinkers as well as some #2 to 2/0 hooks. I like to use the Octopus style hooks. They work like circle hooks but with more strength.

If you are renting rods at the landing, they can steer you towards the type of rod you need based on what the boat will be targeting.

I 20lb rig should be good for most of what you will be catching.

Let me know if you need more information.

Steve
[signature]
Thanks for your help. We will be trailering a boat down for this trip and will be self-guided. Depending on weather we'd like to go for tuna, but if the waves are too big we'll stay close to the harbors.

Do you know what actual temperature of water tuna usually hang out in? That will help determine how far we need to go out to get to them.

For the halibut, usually what depth and type of structure are they found in?

Again, I appreciate your help with any info.
[signature]
if your going that way.. right in frount of the nuk plant was good.. now they are not running it might not be as good.. but another mile or so down to the south of there is the barn kelp.. lot's of yellow tail, calaco's, sandy's, perch, and even halibut around there too.. lot's of sharks to. [cool]
[signature]
Tuna can be found in a variety of water temps ranging from 62 to 75 degrees, depending on the species. They can and will be less active in the cooler water but does not rule them out as not being there.

California Yellowtail (although being a member of the Amberjack family) tend to favor slightly cooler water than the Amberjack.

Live bait would be best for these fish and live squid, if you can find it, would be the best ticket. They will be best found around the kelp beds but can also hold out in sandy coves if there are other baitfish in the area.

If you can find them in a cove, I like to throw out a Scambled Egg colored Taddy or comparable iron jig for them. You should use the "Yo Yo" technique which tends to get their attention.

Tuna will also hit the Irons if you run into a pocket of them.

Halibut will be found in various water temps but mostly on sandy bottoms or around some sudden gradient changes. You will find it difficult to detect Halibut on the fishfinder unless one of them suddenly moves and you are watching it at the time.

Halibut may also bit the scrambled egg jig but I catch them better on plastics. A 1 1/2 ounce jig head attached to a Grunion colored "Fish Trap" or "Big Hammer" plastic lure. You can find these in the 4 and 5 inch length.

There are other methods but the plastics are on of my favorites up and down the Pacific Coast. I also use them for Flounders on the East coast too.

Live Sardines will also work and takes a bit more time while waiting for them to bite.

When using the plastics or jigs, just use the "Casting the Clock" method. Cast straight out at 12 o'clock postiion then at the 12:05 postion,12:10 and so on until you have covered the whole clock.
[signature]
Awesome reply. That helps out a lot. Hopefully reports will start popping up of how people are doing. There are gps coord. of wrecks out there so I'm curious how people do anchoring over those and fishing. We'll have a boat with the motorguide Xi5 so we can "anchor" over structure and bottom fish.
[signature]