Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming gorge ice?
Can anyone tell me if there’s any safe ice at the gorge (north side) & if the Buckboard coves are still frozen? Thanks.
[signature]
I saw pics of the ice in Buckboard Bay blowing off on Friday, so boats are able to launch there again. It didn't hold up well to 60-degrees and 30-40 mph winds we had that afternoon. There's still ice uplake of the Confluence, but it was reported as "deteriorating". One report I received from Saturday and Sunday, said there was still 8-10 inches at Sage Creek, between Confluence and Firehole. Burbot fishing was good, but lake trout fishing was slow.

Hope that helps, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks a ton Ryno, You da man!
[signature]
The ice looked iffy this evening. I didn't see anyone on it. I was hoping to fish it Friday. Buckboard was ice free.
[signature]
Wow, great pics! Better feedback than I could ask for, thank you.
[signature]
You're welcome.[Smile]
[signature]
I think this was between Fire Hole and Sheep Creek.
[signature]
Yeah, that doesn’t look very friendly at all. Cool pics! Are you the pilot?
[signature]
Yes
[signature]
Awesome!!!
[signature]
Did you fly over the confluence area on Saturday?
[signature]
No. I was unsuccessfully trying to catch perch in Boysen and Ocean Lake on Saturday.
[signature]
[quote Cessna150]I think this was between Fire Hole and Sheep Creek.[/quote]

That was silly of me. Of course it was between Fire Hole and Sheep Creek. I ment to say Fire Hole and Sage Creek.

Speaking of Sheep Creek, can you catch kokanee in that canyon this time of year, or is it better to go up north?

Where is the best place to fish on the Gorge when it is windy? My row boat isn't a comfortable place to be when the wind blows and the waves are high.
[signature]
You can catch them there, along with many other places like Jarvies, Pipeline, Anvil Draw, etc, but it can be hit or miss. The problem this time of year, is most of the kokes are close to the surface (less than 15 ft) where the water is warmer and plankton are most abundant. Shallow fish will typically move away from the boat, out of the range of detection for typical down looking sonars. The cone size on most recreational fish finders is extremely narrow at 10-15 ft (3-5 ft?). You really just have to put shallow offerings out, preferable using planer boards, and hope they are there and active.

If it's windy, anywhere on the Gorge is difficult, but you're safest bet in small boat would be in the canyon, near Sheep Creek, Mustang, or Cedar Springs boat launches. That way you can quickly get to a ramp, or protected shoreline, if the wind comes up.

Good luck and hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
That does help, thank you. I just built starboard and a port planer boards last night. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
[signature]
Good morning sir, I was wondering if you fly over the gorge anytime soon if you could update me on any potential ice situation? Thank you either way.
[signature]
I'm hoping to fly over Friday, weather permitting. As cold as it is (sub zero temps here) I think I will be fishing through the ice Saturday morning near the confluence.
[signature]
That’s what I’m hoping for myself! Thank you.
[signature]
I flew by the confluence this evening. Braved some marginal VFR weather for you. ;-) I only saw a couple people on the ice. They were between Fire Hole and Sage Creek. I couldn't really see the ice because it was snow covered. The ice looked like it extended down to Buckboard, though I don't know how thick it is there. You can see a distinct line between the old ice and the new ice south of the confluence. I think I will fish by the confluence if I can drag my butt out of bed Saturday morning. I need some fish for my smoker.
[signature]
Man, thank you so much! Tight lines & catch a linker Saturday!
[signature]