Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead this weekend
Hello all,
The wife and I are planning to take a camping - kayak fishing trip to Lake Mead this weekend. This will be our first visit and would welcome a little input.
We were thinking about the campground at echo bay but are open to suggestions. I have no idea what’s what down there and any help is much appreciated. The fish I wish to target are bass, striped or otherwise.

Thanks,
Mike
[signature]
The campground at Echo is a ways from the water now, about a mile, used to be right below the camp ground when the water was high. If you need the "facilities" then you're stuck to the camp ground.

I have boat camped on Mead many times, and there are places up by Stewart's Point where you can drive down to the lake, and camp.

I always get away from roads while boat camping at Mead as you never know what type of yokel you'll run into out there. Stewart's Point is far enough from Vegas that you shouldn't have a problem. Google earth it.

Willow Beach is a great place, if you haven't been there before. Camping isn't at the water's edge, but they have good facilities. Trout, stripers, and smallmouth bass down there. Need to check reservations on camping there, seems like a busy camp ground, where as Echo has been a ghost town when I've passed by it the last couple of years.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Dan. I’ll give check and see if we can reserve a site at Willow Beach. Echo looked high and dry on google earth.
[signature]
Thanks again for the info. Willow was booked up so we ended up staying at Callville Bay campground. Fished government wash area Friday and Saturday trolling crank baits with some success, kept a few little guys for fresh eating and released the rest. Sunday and Monday were a little too choppy for the kayak so we did the tourist thing and had a good time exploring.
Got back to Idaho this afternoon to temps in the teens and 8” of snow in the driveway waiting to be plowed. Hope to make another trip next month.
[signature]
come back between July-October for the striper boils! That's where its at
[signature]