Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring electric downriggers - advice
With the poor ice conditions this winter I've been spending more time preparing for the upcoming boating season. As part of that, I'm upgrading from manual downriggers to electric.

My boat has two electrical systems -- the main "cranking" electrical (with batteries near the outboard motor in the back) -- and the secondary system with two deep cycle batteries, one located mid-boat on each side (in front of the port and starboard front seats).

The two batteries for the secondary system are somehow wired together for the electric trolling motor (which can be 12v or 24v) and for a few auxiliary systems.

I plan to put a downrigger on each side of the boat -- replacing the manual downriggers I have now. Should I just wire each downrigger directly to the battery on its side (using the correct fuse, of course)? Or should I figure out how to wire them in parallel to both batteries? I've done some research and can't seem to find a clear answer.
[signature]
Do you use your electric motor a lot?
If your using gas motor to troll, downriggers would be fine on each individual battery. If your using the electric and running the batteries down by the end of the day, the low voltage would be hard on downrigger motors. Happened with my anchor system on my jetboat. Be better if you could add one more battery to the starting system. That way it charges as you troll.
[signature]
I rarely use the electric troll. I have a little 5 horse kicker that I troll with... it doesn't connect to the electrical system.
[signature]
The batteries for the troller would work fine.
Keep in mind that each hooks to a battery separately do not share grounds. The first battery has a negative ground and a 12 volt positive. The second battery will have 12 volts at the negative post and 24 at the positive. If you hook up each downrigger separately with positive and negative it will give 12 volts, if you use a common ground it will show 12 volts at the second battery negative post and 24 at the positive post. I know I said it twice but it’s important. Get a meter and check before you start.
[signature]
You could do it either way, I don't think that wiring it to your main battery would be bad but you do have to consider the possibility for running down your main starting battery, if you use the DR too much. My Electric down riggers are wired to my starting motor battery but my kicker motor charges my battery when I'm using it to troll. I use my electric trolling motor to steer my boat and the gas motor to push it. As mentioned, if you have room for a extra starter battery, that would be the way to go but if you don't and you decide to hook your DR to your starter battery and not your Elect trolling motor battery's, then you should consider having a pair of jumper cables in your boat, just in case. You could always swap your battery's but jumper cables are easier.
[signature]
In reply to your question of wiring electric down riggers, I would recommend installing a dedicated battery next to your boat cranking battery if you have the room. Most downriggers are installed towards the rear gunnels, which would make running wiring easier to the battery. Also down the road if you install a two bank charging system you'll have the batteries in an area that will make charging simple.
Further recommendation is to insure that the fuses/wiring is the same gauge wire as the new down riggers.

If you should need some pics just let me know I can send you some.

Good luck and good fishing.
[signature]
Another way is to install a marine grade fuse panel dedicated to your accessories. Running just a heavy enough positive/negative wire to the panel cuts down a bundle of wires directly hooked to the battery/s. Those wires tend to get beat up whenever you have to do battery maintenance plus additional corrosion points. There is a variety of fuse panels that you don't have to break the bank on.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Waterpr...fuse+panel
[signature]
wire your downrigger to the main boat electrical system ,usually electric trolling motors are 24 to 36 volts and are dedicated to the trolling motor only
[signature]