Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transom Repair
Hi everyone. I have a 1996 Lund Tyee and while winterizing it I noticed a gap between the top piece of aluminium and the back piece on my transom. Not sure how long it's been like this but I would like to have it checked out by someone more knowledgeable than me.
I live in SW Wyoming and will be taking the boat to Utah. My question is what dealers do you guys like and have had good experiences with?

Thanks Duke
[signature]
I' haven't had that kind of a problem. But I've used Roberts Marine, and Marine Products in the past. I would recommend either place. Both in SLC

humpy
[signature]
Are you able to attach a photo of the damage? I don't know much about the Lund construction methods so that would help me visualize what is going on.
[signature]
X2 what humpy said!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Thanks for the replys. I will post a picture in a day or 2 when I get a chance.
[signature]
If you go to Walleyecentral.com and search your problem it will at least show you a few options other Lund owners have used.
Unfortunately it was a common problem Lund boats had for a couple of years when they switched transom materials.
[signature]
I used Dons Marine in Smithfield Utah, 435-563-5863. He completely rebuilt the back end of my aluminum deck boat, I would recommend him anytime, did a great job. It cost about $3k, but it was a major rebuild where he took the entire back off the boat. Can't hardly tell anything was done when he finished.
[signature]
I would check with Lund, they have long warranties on hulls, and if it's a problem they are aware of they may have some type of recall or help in getting it fixed.
[signature]
I was in a similar situation last year, but found out while I was slowly sinking. Had to deal with a bad transom on my first boat after only three trips. Might as well yank the outboard off her now. A nasty bump while towing could be the thing that separates it.
It's not fun
Fiberglass really sucks
It's fairly cheap to do yourself, but extremely time consuming.
Don't cut corners. Build it like you're gonna hang a 300hp outboard off the back.
Don't buy resin locally. I was never able to find laminating resin here. It's all waxed with a 200% markup.

Enjoy the boat gore photos I've enclosed. She'll be better than new once it's warm enough to do the final layers and gel coat. I'm into the repair about $600 now, including a whole new floor and a rewire. Probably gonna be close to $1k by the time I'm done with a few other little modifications and upgrades.
[signature]
If your the original owner then Lund warranty still applies.
[signature]
Looks like fun. Reminds me of the Whale I restored. I dug out the wood, replaced with Coosa board and refiberglassed the under deck.
[signature]
You can call Roger's Performance Marine in Centerville . They are the closest Lund dealer. They can tell you if it is under warrantee. If not they should be able to repair it
[signature]
Have owned 2 Lunds. A 2004 17' ProSport with 115 HP Merc outboard, and a 2007 WC14 DLX with 15HP. Not had any problem like that on either. The local Lund dealer here in Ogden (Petersen Marine) has closed down. I'm told Lunds are now carried by Rogers Marine in SLC, but I can't confirm that. Pretty sure if you are original owner that the Lund warranty will cover that problem.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool