Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait help
Ok I live in salt lake city and will be in San Diego from the 2nd to the 12 and I'm taking my son fishing and then taking him on a lobster fishing that night. They say we can rent a fishing setup but we need to bring our own bait. So I'm wondering what is a good bait and where do I but it. Thanks for any info
[signature]
Just Google - san diego live bait shops -- several hits are returned with reviews

Last year we did the 1/2 trip out bottom fishing - caught a lot but just not too fun pulling something up from 300 ft down.

Good Luck.
[signature]
As far as bait goes, Squid is the ticket up and down the coast. The landing will usually have 1lb blocks of squid for sale or you can get them from most markets within a 1/2 mile radius of the landings.[fishin]
[signature]
Nice what will I be catching mostly at night with them?
[signature]
Will this also work for halibut?
[signature]
Squid can help you catch just about anything that is biting. Sand Bass, Spotted Bay Bass, and Calico Bass aka Kelp Bass. You may even find some Rock fish of various types depending on the depth and structure.

There can also be a chance at some Sheepheads, Whitefish and possible some Yellowtails.

Night is especially good for various species of sharks such as the Leopard Shark, Spiny Dogfish, Thresher Sharks and if you are lucky, Mako's.

Halibut could be possible but would require using whole squid or even 6 inch Plastics on a 1oz jig head. Big Hammer plastics work well in the green or Grunion color.

Mackerel colors have worked for me as well.

I have caught night Halibut on the Megabait live jigs in Blue, Green and Purple Mackerel colors.[cool]
[signature]