Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Provo question
So I got a fly rod for my birthday and I’m excited to go. But I’m new and don’t know how to get to the middle Provo river. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I’m anxious to go and enjoy a new sport but bummed I don’t know where to go. Please help me as fishing is my only way to get out as I’m a young stay at home dad with disabilities that needs some exercise and mind clearing enjoyment.
[signature]
This is my two cents...

I would try to learn somewhere besides the Provo river. I tried to teach myself to fly fish on the Middle Provo for 2 summers and had 3 total fish to show for it. I'm going into my 3rd year fishing the Middle and am just now getting consistent with my catching of fish there.

If I could do it over again I would head up mirror lake highway and pick any lake or stream and learn on those waters. The fish are easier to catch and you will learn things like setting the hook and casting accuracy with much more success than the Provo.

The problem with the Provo is it gets fished by guides everyday of the year and the fish can be quite picky because of this.

Again this is my opinion on the matter. I told my little brother the same thing when he bought his first fly rod around xmas. If I could do it over again I would find easier places to fish first.

But if you still want to learn on the Provo, here is some info on access points.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hotspots/brwaterbody.php

Here is a video of me on the Provo. https://youtu.be/yfRu7Ro-Ebs

One spot I enjoy is right off hwy 40 right near the bridge that goes over the river.

Good luck to ya!!
[signature]
Thanks Tdog for your response and advice. I would like to learn in the best environment and if this mirror lake hwy. if you don’t mind me asking what bodies of water are up there. I’m not knowledgeable when it comes to northern Utah mountains and it’s easier to google a body a water lol. But again I thank you very much for your time and thought in helping.
[signature]
If you drive up mirror lake highway from kamas you can fish the upper Provo river and miles and miles of it. There is mirror lake, moosehorn, trial lake, Washington lake, lost lake, Lilly lake, and many more. If you continue on the highway past mirror lake you will run into the upper bear river and more lakes that I'm not really as familiar with. There are hundreds of places to fish in the unintas and tons of them are right off the highway.
[signature]
Thank you so much. You have been very helpful with information and taking time to do so. I look forward to a day I can go out and try what I’ve been learning. I’ve gone to the park even in the snow and practicing casting and look forward to doing it in water lol
[signature]
There are a number of urban ponds around that are a good place to work on your casting stroke and help learning the hook set without having to drive too far. I don't know where you live but there should be a local pond that would be worth a try. The DWR keeps the ponds well stocked so catching a few fish is not to difficult.

I've attached a link that shows where these ponds are located.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/cf/community_f...index.html#

Good luck on learning an exciting new way to fish.[Smile]
[signature]
Don’t wait for the mirror lake areas to ice out, go fish the rivers now! Not only are the rivers fishing extremely well. You don’t need to be an expert to get into fish. Sure it’s cold, but the pressure is tolerable and the flows are as good as they get. You’d be welcome to shoot me a pm and I’ll share more!
[signature]
Just getting out now is also good advice. You have to learn on the water regardless. That's what I did, and first time out and hooked into a fish on the Middle Provo. The fish got off but it was still the start of a very serious fly fishing addiction. Now I catch fish there pretty consistently. Just get out and have fun doing it. Talk to other fishermen while you are out, in my opinion most are friendly and will share with you how the fishing is for them.
[signature]
I never thought of using it at one one of these and I knew of a couple but that site gave me a nice list I didnt know so thanks. You guys are a master with that website. I can’t thank you enough.
[signature]
What kind of fly fishing are you looking to do? Mostly dry flies, nymphing, streamers, combination depending on the day?

While it can definitely be challenging catching fish on the MP, I have had a lot of success Euro nymphing. One of my favorite sections is the mile or so right below the dam. It's a lot of pocket water and doesn't get hammered quite as much as the other sections. The suggestions about fishing the Upper Provo are also good. I took my first trip up there last summer and landed a cutty, brook, brown, and whitefish all within a couple hundred yard long section. Far fewer anglers as well.

My best advice would be to get out with someone that really knows what they are doing as a few hours with an experienced fly fisherman can greatly increase your catch rates and give you tips to last a lifetime.
[signature]
My problem is I don’t know any fly fisherman so I’m learning as I go on my own which probably isn’t the best way. You gave me some things to study as I don’t know the different types of fly fishing you listed. So that gives me something to do and look forward to as I like to learn new things.
I’ve got one person that has invited to help me but they live a few hours away so it will be a few weeks til I can get with them. This forum is great to give me things to study like you did while I’m trying to also find people to take me out.
[signature]
I taught myself how to fly fish off of YouTube videos and trial and error. There are a wealth of videos that can give you some great knowledge. Taking what you can learn online and putting it into practice on the river and catching fish is extremely rewarding.
[signature]
You mentioned you are a disabled stay at home dad. If you are a veteran the VA has an amazing recreation therapy program. They offer many courses for free at different times for all basics of fly fishing including tying flies. They also have group trips often for those who want to get out that always have expert volunteers.
If not, I would suggest getting ahold of DWR, particularly (not sure of the spelling) Tawnya Kieffer. She is in charge of Community fisheries and works with kids and those with disabilities. She may be able to point you in the right direction for a similar opportunity.
[signature]
That’s what I’ve basically been doing. What would this world be without YouTube lol. I try to watch as much as I can and I went and checked up on your question earlier on what type of fly fishing would I be doing and from my studies I would say it would depend on what is hot according to dwarf report for the day and if any body gives suggestions. I want to learn multiple ways to fish and I’m going to continue to watch those videos.
As far as my disability I’m not a veteran. I have arthritis really bad that has caused me to have23 surgeries including a total knee replaced, back, neck, left thumb, and right wrist fused and I just turned 39. So my body is very achy and stiff and getting out fishing helps get some exercise that is easy on me. The wading can even help take pressure off the joints which I have done spinning. My son is disabled and taken part in school in dwelling fishing days but I never thought about them possibly helping me so thanks for that suggestion.
[signature]
There are a lot of great suggestions in these posts! local ponds are a great way to learn the basics but you will need to get on a river to learn the drift. That is the biggest key to fishing the provo is the drift! Small streams in the uintas are great for learning how to drift a fly dry or wet! and awesome for catching to keep your confidence up that half the battle! Hit a fly shop then hit the water!
[signature]