Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabela's Military Discount
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I got an email from Cabela's informing me that they are doing away with the military discount for on-line and phone orders. I assume that this is coming from BPS Corporate HQ after the merger. As a military Veteran, I am VERY displeased with this latest merger fallout. I have written them about this and gotten a reply back stating that my comments have been forwarded - didn't say to whom. I've already decided that I will look elsewhere locally and on-line for my outdoor clothing and gear purchases in the future. Cabela's will be my LAST source of choice from now on. I would encourage all Veterans to voice their displeasure with this decision by contacting Cabela's directly, and I would ask that you also consider shopping at other venues for on-line purchases in the future if you are a Veteran. Support from non-Veterans would be appreciated as well.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[#0000FF]Sorry to hear that. Our vets need MORE show of appreciation...not LESS.

I'm way out in front on the boycott thing. I used to buy a high percentage of my rod building, fly tying and lure making supplies from Cabelas. Then over the years they either quit carrying the things I used or else raised their prices to put them out of competition with other suppliers. And whenever I voiced my displeasure at one of the stores "customer service" counters all I got was a disinterested shrug. I canceled my club membership and card a couple of years ago and have not bought anything from them since.

Hope you can find other outlets that are more accommodating.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Already have, Pat; already have![/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Not defending them, but have you considered that it is difficult if not impossible to verify whether someone is a veteran for online or phone orders?

I assume they still give the discount for in-store purchases (as does Sportsmans Warehouse. Scheels, too, perhaps, although I seldom get there.)

At Lowe's now, you go to Customer Service and present your ID or DD214 one time. They enter you into their database and then all you have to do is give your phone number at the register for every purchase thereafter. Perhaps BPS will adopt something similar.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Not defending them, but have you considered that it is difficult if not impossible to verify whether someone is a veteran for online or phone orders?

I assume they still give the discount for in-store purchases (as does Sportsmans Warehouse. Scheels, too, perhaps, although I seldom get there.)

At Lowe's now, you go to Customer Service and present your ID or DD214 one time. They enter you into their database and then all you have to do is give your phone number at the register for every purchase thereafter. Perhaps BPS will adopt something similar.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]There's the rub Rocky. Cabela's instituted a program last Spring (May I think) where they used a third party vendor to verify my military service through submission of a copy of my DD214 to a 3rd party vendor, who then certified to Cabela's that I was indeed a retired military veteran. Afterward, the military discount was automatically applied to my on-line orders as I built the order. I didn't have to check an extra box or anything. It was working very well as near as I could tell.

The system was in place and working. But they will shut it down on Feb 26, 2018. No reason given as to why this is necessary in the original email from them or the 2 emails I've received from them since voicing my displeasure with the discontinuance.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[#0000FF]A good example of the poster I used to have hanging in one of my offices..."Ain't no good reason for it. It's just company policy."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ahhh, I didn't know that, Bob.

Well, they will likely hear from more people than you. If their bean counters fear that the bad will created costs them sales, maybe they'll change back.
[signature]
I didn’t know they could get a copy of my DD 214. I was in agreement with rockyraab. But now I will not be shopping at cabelas until they reinstate it. Thanks for that info!
[signature]
Cabela's gives a Military Discount? Did not know that, wish I had, could have been saving some money. I don't go to Cabela's much and rarely order things from them on line but now I will stop ordering anything from them on line. Did you call the 1-800 to voice your displeasure? I know Sportsman's give a military discount and they are usually cheaper and closer, so they normally get my business. Anglers Den is another good choice.

Rocky- As of January Lowes changed their policy and you have to register on line to get their Vet discount.
[signature]
[quote fmrusmc]I didn’t know they could get a copy of my DD 214.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]They can't get a copy of your DD214 unless you send it to them as I did last year. I, of course, redacted it such that all they saw was my name and service dates.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote RockyRaab]Well, they will likely hear from more people than you.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I certainly hope so Ollie![/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I could have saved $ too. I looked up my account and have spent just shy of $1,000 online on lures, jigs, and other equipment. I ordered from Sportsman my last online order. Not only did I find it a little cheaper, It was on my doorstep much faster than any order I have placed with Cabela's. Nice to know they have a military discount as well. Do you have to go instore to register?
[signature]
No, just show them ID when you check out. I found out a few years ago, when I renewed my drivers license, that you can get it listed on it by showing them a copy of your DD214 when you do the paperwork to get your license.
[signature]
I keep forgetting to have my DD214 added to my license. However I do keep a copy readily available.
[signature]
When I did my drivers license this last time, I was not aware of this, so when I went up to get my pic taken, I found out and I ask if I could go home to get my DD214. They said yes and they said they would hold the final portion of the completed license until I got back. When I got back they finished the license, adding Veteran to it.
Sure makes it easier on Veterans day, when I go to Texas Roadhouse or Applebee's[Wink].
[signature]
First off I want to thank each one of you for your service and dedication to this country for defending our freedom and liberties. You are all heroes.

Second I will quit doing any business with Cabela’s and go to sportsman warehouse as they are closer any how. But this is stupid and uncalled for as well as a disgrace to veterans everywhere. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will pass this on to my friends and family.
[signature]
[quote slchillbilly]I could have saved $ too. I looked up my account and have spent just shy of $1,000 online on lures, jigs, and other equipment. I ordered from Sportsman my last online order. Not only did I find it a little cheaper, It was on my doorstep much faster than any order I have placed with Cabela's. Nice to know they have a military discount as well. Do you have to go instore to register?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The only way to get the military discount on your on-line orders from Sportsman's Warehouse is to have the order shipped to the store and pick it up there. When you do, show them your veteran ID and they will give you a refund for the discount. I've done this several times at the Riverdale store.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks Bob
[signature]
Bob, on 3-21 I drove all the way Cabelas in Lehi because our Farmington Cabelas didn't have what I was looking for. I bought a pair of Okuma low profile counter reels CW-354D. Cabelas regular price was $159.99 on sale for $127.99, the Cabelas regular price is the same retail price as Okuma, I applied my Cabelas points and my veteran discount and out the door for $102.39ea. I felt I did good enough for a buy. But I also learned that Okuma is making reels for the Cabelas brand label. They are making one of the Coldwater series and a Convector series which Cabelas is selling for less than half the price. If the Okuma model I bought had the Cabelas brand on it I could have saved a lot more buying it. I am also very cautious on how much I spend at Cabelas. I don't do much online ordering with them so I never really applied for the veteran status to be filed but do show my proof at the register. I do side with you but there is a changing situation in our systems of the way we do business and it "sucks". We know the retail world is gouging and is in their plans but one has to do what they have to do for a good sale. It doesn't hurt them lowering prices.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I agree that we do live in an ever changing world.
And I am always on the look-out for good deals wherever I can find them. I've got a couple of Abu-Garcia AmbasSador 5500LC reels on order at Angler's Den in Roy. They give a military discount and my kids gave me an Angler's Den Gift Certificate for Christmas. So I'll end up spending about $20 apiece for the 2 reels. [Smile]

I'll be spending the last of my Cabela's points on an iTroll for my Mercury 9.9 hp kicker motor. My points + discount + VISA Debit Gift Card will knock the cost down from $350 to about $160 including the UT sales tax. Life is good.

I did search on-line and found a couple places offering the iTroll for less than I can get it at Cabela's. But I can't use the Cabela's points anywhere else.

Anywho, I'm about done shopping at Cabela's with any regularity.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah