Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musky At Joe's Valley..
[quote slchillbilly]Do you work for DNR/DWR? Cuz I"d swear you just made them god's, Did DWR/DNR really give us Muskies? I want Tuna!!!![/quote]

Great questions slchillbilly so let me give you some more educational feedback.

I don't work for the DNR/DWR but I do volunteer my time helping them with this species. Volunteer time is tagging/fin ray clipping tiger muskies for National study, Helping with the Tiger Muskie Spawn at Lee Kay Hatchery, helping stock Tiger Muskies, Helping collect Pike from Yuba for the Tiger Muskie Brood stock program.

Additionally there are no true Muskies in Utah only ones they have are in rearing ponds at Lee Kay Hatchery. Just so you know. Utah has hybrids called Tiger Muskies a sterile fish and yes Utah gets them from other states but now they are rearing their own for the state at the Lee Kay Hatchery. So this post was the catching of a Tiger Muskie not pure strain Muskie.

A Tiger Muskie can occur naturally in the wild where Pike and Muskie co-exist. So here in Utah the DNR is I guess playing God as they are making them. As Utah has no body of water that contains both Pike and pure Muskie.

So what is a tiger muskie you're probably wondering slchillbilly--Its a hybrid 'sterile' fish with the temperament of both its parents a northern pike and pure Muskie.

Breeders prefer to breed male northern pike and female muskellunge because the eggs are less adhesive and have less tendency to clump when hatching.

While some tiger muskie occur naturally most are bred in hatcheries.
Tiger muskie usually grow more quickly than the pure-strain muskie and northern pike in the first several years. They can also endure high temperatures better than the parent fish and grow more quickly reaching legal size sooner, making them more useful in stocking.

Oh and so you know the difference with the various strains of muskies, a hybrid and Pike see the attached photo.

If you ever want any other information on this species by all means let me know I'm more than willing to help raise awareness and educate. Thanks for the awesome questions. I hope I give you the information you desire with your questions. [Smile][Smile]

PS I've also attached photos of what boga grips can do when a fish thrashes. Figured you'd want to see that but didn't ask. [blush][blush]
[signature]
Well it looks like the same old BS is going on after a year or two of me not visiting. I got a little bit of crappy treatment over a trout I caught and that is why I don’t post fish or reports anymore. I just lurk mainly.
[signature]
@k2muskie

I’ve never caught a Muskie or pike or tiger. But I appreciate the info you provided and how to properly hold one in the event I catch one. Solid info and advice is never a bad thing especially when your intentions are good. Keep Providing solid info.
[signature]
Great comments K2!
[signature]
It is clear what the problem is here. You, my friend, are not able to read and comprehend a helpful, informative post when you see one. Many of your comments reveal a lack of kindness and understanding. I suggest you spend more time learning from our moderators who are very helpful and friendly. FlyGoddess is one of the best and most educated fishing experts on this site. Her post was well stated and only asked that we be civil to someone expressing an opinion. I am grateful for her desire to help this site be free of people who are not wanting to learn or be helpful.
Just my two cents.
[signature]