Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout Fishing in Virgin River
I'll be hiking the Narrows from the top down in late May. I've heard there are trout. I know it's not a destination trip, but if I'm there anyway should I carry a rod? I would hate to see fish and not have it.
[signature]
What do you mean it’s not a destination trip[shocked]? I find fishing small streams in southern Utah canyons more enjoyable than fishing within Yellowstone NP. Trout fishing isn’t all about the size of the fish, it’s about the experience. Of course pack a fly rod, reel and a small box of flies. Ideally no bigger than a 7 ft 2 wt. Same answer if you ever hike Escalante Canyon or any other hike in southern Utah along a stream.
[signature]
Perfect response riverdog!
[signature]
Yep, there are trout in the Virgin River through the Narrows. It is definitely worth packing a fly rod. The highest concentration is where Kolob Creek (rainbows and cutthroats) and Deep Creek (browns) come into the drainage. My best success has been slowly stripping a black bugger through the deeper holes. The trout are mainly small, but will occasionally surprise you. Have fun!
[signature]