Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm new here. Just found the forum to ask about Zion, but seems like an active and knowledgeable group.

I'm in northern California and have fished only sparingly in Utah. Spent a fair amount of time in my younger days in the canyon country, but without a fly rod.

I have a conference in early August in Park City, with a few extra days for fishing,so will definitely be back to get some advice on the Uintas and elsewhere.

John
[signature]
Welcome to the forum Woodman.

There are a lot of folks on this site that are knowledgeable and willing to share with other anglers.[Smile]

There are some great places to fish in the Park City area and, like you said, the Uinta's are not that far from there.
[signature]
What would you like to fish? Rivers or lakes or both? Any particular fish you’d like to catch or just the best fishing in the area that time of year? I’m assuming you’re willing to hike a bit if necessary as the drive up spots pale in comparison to what takes a little work to lose the crowds. That’s a great time for throwing big hoppers so be sure to bring some.
[signature]
I definitely want to spend a day up in the Uintas with short/moderate hikes into a lake or two. Second day would be great to get into some stream fishing without too many other people around. I'm planning to have two weekdays to fish, and will probably only rent a 2wd sedan at the SLC airport, so won't be able to get too remote by vehicle. Thanks for any help you can provide.
[signature]
2 WD will certainly limit access to Utah’s best fishing. You could go throw microflies with the masses on the Upper Weber and Provo if you’re into that. More like hunting livestock on a farm than fishing for wild trout but to each their own. Access from Mirror Lake Highway (Highway 150) is your other option. The Provo River starting a the private property line is overrun with stunted brookies. However throwing size 6 hoppers will get a few big trout to rise and smash it before the dinks do. The large fly keeps most of the dinks from being hooked. I would stay below where the North Fork of the Provo comes in to the Provo as their are more descent size trout to be found in Summer lower down. Look at a map but you might want to try Alexander Lake. Not sure but maybe a 2 WD can get within a mile or so of the lake. Fehr trail is an easy trail with access to Fehr, Shepherd and Hoover Lakes. From there Marshal Lake and the Murdock Basin is a short distance. If you’re from Cali you don’t need to catch our small golden trout in Echo and the lakes above so I’d probably focus on Marshal. It’s a really tough drive in and even the short hike plus route finding at the end keeps most out. Plenty of other trails and lakes and nothing wrong with fishing some of the drive up lakes if you’re short for time. Enjoy your trip.
[signature]
Welcome! Early August is my favorite time of year to fish the Provo River, which would be a close trip for you from Park City and easily accessible by car. Everybody else will be fishing it as well, but I still have some of my best nights fishing the caddis hatch then. It's one of the few times when I feel like I'm actually better fishing close than driving somewhere farther away. There's also a PMD hatch in late afternoon before the caddis flies come off right at dark, so you can make the time worthwhile whenever you can get to the water.
[signature]