Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Inflatable Life Jacket
Need some advice on an auto life jacket. I heard some good, and some bad things regarding them. Anyone on here have an experience with them?
[signature]
I know that at least one of our gang has had one activate when he bent over to thumb a fish. If you fish from a tube or something else very near the water, consider that.

I searched for a manual only model because I'm fairly low in my kayak, and not subject to high-speed maneuvers. I'll take the chance that if I'm ever thrown overboard, I'll be conscious. Automatic is probably better for a power boater.

Replacement CO2 cylinders for the manual ones are also cheaper to replace. (Which reminds me that I need to do that this year.)
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have been wearing a Cabelas inflatable vest for several years. Much better than the bulky "regular" models I had in years past. I can wear them comfortably all day and hardly know they are there. But good to know that they are there if I need them.

More and more boaters are wearing them full time too. There have been too many drowning cases where the boater had jackets "on board"...but not within easy reach when they were thrown or fell out of the boat...or had an accident. And once you are in the water it is tough to put on a vest...almost impossible in very cold water.

There are both manually activated and water activated models. Manual are slightly less costly but might be of a lot lower value if you were knocked unconscious while falling into the water.

I fish from a float tube which is inherently safe...as a floatation device. But on one occasion I slipped out of the faulty deflated seat on a new float tube and had difficulty getting back up into the tube. Even then, it took a few seconds for the water activated valve to inflate the vest. When it did, it scared the heck out of me. But it reminded me why I was wearing it. I have not heard of anyone suffering "premature inflation" from accidental splashing.

Most inflatables have visible indicators as to whether or not your unit is fully functional. The soluble activator tabs do degrade over time. So it is a good idea to replace the valve setup every few years. Mine cost just over 30 dollars to replace after it went off. Easy to justify.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have two autos on my boat and they are very comfortable to wear I've even worn one under my ice gear in the early season . But never had the need for one to arm themselves.
[signature]
Fishing from a boat, and not a very fast boat. 20mph max.

I got looking at the Mustang hydrostatic ones. But at about 250 a pop, and 70 bucks to re-arm it. Ugggg. But I guess the hydrostatic design have to be submerged before they go pop.

Any ideas how often you have to change co2 cartridges on the cheap ones? The Mustang ones are 5 years.

Maybe i'll go with the manual activated ones. Mostly worried about someone getting bumped over the edge while trolling, and a few people rushing for a fishing pole, or bad weather.

The girlfriend that I fish with a lot isn't the best swimmer. And is the one pressuring me in this. I would much rather dump my money on a new rod, bigger fish finder, cool new gear.

Any ideas how long they stay inflated for? How long in cold water?
[signature]
Two friends and I have auto-inflat vests for 3 years now. I wear it all the time because I often fish alone. My friend in Arkansas fell out of boat and injured shoulder. His vest inflated and was a great asset in getting out of the water. The Onyx brand can be purchased and Amazon for about $100 and auto recharge kit for $27.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I and several buddies have and wear the mustangs. I bought mine at cabelas, cant remember the cost. 100 something. none of us have ever had one deploy when not intended. The straps on the mustang were a wider strap which meant more comfortable for my well rounded upper body, all muscle, haha. I always wear mine when the water is below about 60 or if I am on the boat alone.
[signature]
Not even in a down pour? Been fishing more than once where everything is soaking wet.
[signature]
If your girlfriend is asking about one, then get her one. It's a lot easier to buy new rods, fishfinders, and cool gear than it is to find a good girlfriend that likes to fish. LOL Maybe she would even go in on the cost.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[quote BURLEY]If your girlfriend is asking about one, then get her one. It's a lot easier to buy new rods, fishfinders, and cool gear than it is to find a good girlfriend that likes to fish. LOL Maybe she would even go in on the cost.[/quote]

Yeah, she is a trooper for sure. She does get a bit burnt out on it mid summer.
[signature]
I have 3 of the Cabelas models that cost me less than $100 each. I replace charging kit every year even though they say they are good for 3 years. Kits are about $25.00. I wear mine 100% any time I'm on the water, and anyone else in the boat does also (new boat rule 2 years ago). Mine has gotten quite wet from sudden rain storms while on the water and never deployed.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Someone tell me how to make the font bigger on this box.

I 2 cabellas vests. They have deployed on their own in really wet weather. The trigger device looks like a candy lifesaver and starts to come apart from exposure to water. When you repack them make sure to tuck that well up in the vinyl "taco" formed when you re pack the vest. I take a lot of people fishing and If I fall out I have to hang on til they learn how to run my boat to pick me up. So unless its really nice out I wear my vest all the time.
[signature]
Never skimp on personnel safety equipment.
Buy the best and wear it.
[signature]
What is the new boat rule from two years ago? Do all boats have to wear vests 100% of the time while on the water?
[signature]
It is all right here be sure to read all the way to R651-215-9

https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r65...215.htm#T3
[signature]
Our experience is this.

Yesterday my bride was leaning over the side of the boat snagged the pull lanyard and inflated hers. Now I get to refit the bugger.

Scared her almost to death!!!
[signature]

"Any ideas how long they stay inflated for? How long in cold water? "

Every year when I replace my charging kit, I pull the manual lanyard, the vest blows up in a fraction of a second, and I have left them sit in the garage over night with absolutely no loss of pressure. Have been thinking of jumping in the pool at my place with one on just to see it work in water. But to answer your question, as long as there are no leaks in the vest, the coldness of the water, will have minimal affect on the pressure in the vest. I worked with aircrew life support equipment for 20 years in A.F. (inspecting and recharging 1 man, 7 man, and 20 man life raft inflation cylinders. The charge cylinders in commercial auto inflate PFD's are C02. When C02 is released by rapid expansion (letting it out of a cylinder suddenly) it turns very cold. If the water that has activated your PFD is cold, say 40 to 50 deg. (which is dangerous hypothermia temperature) it still isn't as cold as the C02 when it is rapidly expanded. As that C02 is warmed by the water and the body of the wearer, it will actually increase in pressure slightly.
With no leaks in the vest and the pressure change due to temperature being minuscule, a good auto inflating vest should stay inflated indefinitely or until acted upon by some other factor. They also have a tube inside the vest that can be used to blow into the vest bladder to offset any minor leak or temperature pressure drop.
Self inflating PFD's have a very wide range in cost..........but what you got to ask is.......... what is your life or the life of your lady, or other family member worth? Many of us here on BFT painfully learned that lesson a couple years ago when one of our fishing friends were lost at Willard Bay due to cold water and NO Life Jacket worn. Sure made me change course. My boat is small and subject to high winds. If my boat is on the water, and you are in my boat, you will wear a PFD, and I have purchased enough of them to provide one to each of the possible passengers that I have room for. [fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thank you so much for the comments and information. I purchased two of the auto/manual pfd from Cabelas brand for 100 bucks a piece. Wore em today while fishing Jordanelle. Me and the Gf both dig them. BTW caught a tiny 12" koke up there. Besides that, slow fishing. Didn't fish the best time of day. Kinda an open test run of the season.
[signature]