Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor question
I’m interested in getting a trolling motor but the wife has me on a budget. I have a 15 foot aluminum boat and am wondering what size motor will push my boat. Will one with 55 lbs of thrust be enough?
[signature]
The short answer is yes, I've had a 55 lb thrust on my 16 ft boat for years, without any issue but it really has to do with the speed you want to go.
[signature]
I want to go slow enough to troll for walleye in that 0.8 ish range and other slower speeds. Get me in and out of shallower waters where my main motor shouldn’t be used. So from your answer it sounds like it will do just about what I want it to do. Thanks WH2 for the help
[signature]
Yea, that will work fine for your needs, it just won't go 3 mph. I use mine for steering my boat but to get to the higher speeds needed when chasing wipers, I have to use my gas kicker.
[signature]
It also depends on the weight of the boat/gear. If it's just an aluminum shell, like the old tin boats, I would think you could even get by with one of the smaller 38lb motors (save $$). If the boat has a floor, pedestal seats, bow cover, windshield, steering, etc., then it's a LOT heavier and would probably need at least the 55lb. Even with that you would probably run out the battery pretty quick.
[signature]
Actually mine last for about 6 hours, depending on the wind and that is at a steady power usage of 5 to 6 on the 10 positions on the power scale.
[signature]