Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Mudness - Lincoln Beach 3/9/2018
I went to Lincoln Beach Friday afternoon. The last few reports had been pretty dismal so I didn’t have high hopes. I wasn’t disappointed. I just had to see if I could put something on the catfish board for Team South!

I got to the ramp about 4 P.M. and there were 2 trailers in the lot. There was a slight westerly breeze and the water in the channel was about 4’ as BLK reported on Thursday, but unlike that morning, the temperature hit 51 degrees.

I’m out of WB and Carp meat so I headed first for the slough mouth in hopes catching either one. Surprisingly the water was still 50 degrees all the way over. I gave it 30 minutes dunking worms and dough balls for carp and tossing small spinners and jigs for the whites. Nada, not even a detectable bump. I saw a few carp jumping. I couldn’t quite make out what they said while they were airborne, but I could tell they were laughing.

While I was trying to catch bait, one of the 2 boats was out in front of the springs. As my 30 minutes expired, he headed for the ramp and the wind changed to northwesterly. Darn it! I was hoping for a calm evening to do some slow dragging after dark. I have often seen that in colder water conditions feeding periods are short and after dark.

I had planned to give the springs area 45 minutes if I hadn’t captured any bait yet. I worked the same baits and lures in 5 to 6 FOW, minus the small spinner. At the end of the 45 minutes I was getting a pretty strong smell of skunk. I had no fish, a few less jigs than I started with and the NW wind was starting to build some swells on the lake.

Since it was nearing prime walleye time I pulled the anchors, put the electric in the water, set out a crawler harness rod and a shrimp rod and headed northwest into the swells. By sunset I still had no fish and the trolling motor was sucking air about every 5 or 6 waves. The water temp had dropped to 42 degrees. There would be no slow trolling around the island for me tonight.

Dejected but not beaten, I headed back over by the launch and anchored in 3’ FOW in the shelter of the dikes. It was now almost 7 and I decided I’d give it about 90 minutes to see if there was any sign of kitties coming out at night to play. In the more sheltered area, the water was still 47 degrees, so there was reason for slight optimism.

The first 70 minutes were flat boring, but out of the wind and waves, at least I wasn’t cold. The first fish hit at 8 P.M. sharp. The hit was welcome, but looked a lot like a mud cat. So did the fish when I got it in the boat. At least the skunk smell was gone. My last cool evening trip was in late February and the total for the night was one mudder, but not tonight! By 8:30 I had landed 6 and lost one. They really liked my shrimp and a few even liked crawlers.

I held out hope that a real catfish might come if I stayed a while, but it didn’t look likely. About 8:40 I set the hook on a heavier fish, but I didn’t get a good set and it gave me back my hook after 5 seconds or so. Then at 8:40 another heavier fish and this one made it to the net. A 23 inch channel, not the elusive 36 incher, but something to get on the board with!

I got a little excited, and frustrated, trying to get a picture on the bump board and looked over to see a rod bending heavily.
The fish spit the hook just before I reached the rod. It was most likely a channel, but at least I had one.

At 8 P.M. I had started setting the timer on my phone for 15 minutes. As soon as I went 15 minutes w/o a bite, I was heading home. Well, that didn’t happen until about 10:15. By then I’d caught 12 to 15 mud cats and the one lonely channel. I probably should have had 3 channels, maybe more if I were fisherman enough to catch a white bass or even a silly carp, but that is fishing.

The good news is that once the mudders wake up for the spring, the channels are often not far behind!
[signature]
Well, at least you got some time on the water and that one channel cat will help relieve the pain of Ahi loading the north team up. Sounds like the water temp is the big issue. The more it edges up the better the fishing for cats. I'm going out again mid-week weather permitting and hoping to find that first cat of the year.

I was at the launch this a.m. just to she what was going on and who was where. Get there just in time to hold MSM up for a half hour while he shared his walleye knowledge. Good to visit with him and appreciated everything he shared. He was off to the island after walleyes and i have been watching for his report all day. He has those walleyes figgered out and he's no slouch at ketchin' big cats. We were kinda hoping Mooseman would be out today so we could meet him. From what he posts it sounds like he has a really bad case of cataholicism. We will eventually meet up at Lincoln. Then again, he only lives a couple of miles from me so maybe I'll have to look him up and share some lies.

Two other boats there when i met MSM. Nobody fishing the first spring or the BS inlet. Saw a few guys fishing off the north and south launch arms and a few waders out from the orchards.

It will only get better now. Bring on some warmer temps.

BLK
[signature]
I fished at Lincoln today. Fishing was slow to say the least. Had a nice kitty on for a short time; until he gave me the middle fin at the net. Nice to see the water levels up. I traveled up Benjamin Slough for about 1/4 mile in the puddle jumper. Could have gone farther but decided to stop messing around and go back to fishing. Good times are coming soon.
[signature]
Glad to hear you got out. It won't be long before the cats start cooperating a bit more. Were there more boats out when you went? Both the boats I saw on Friday seemed to be hunting toothy critters.
[signature]
It was good to get out and catching bullheads is a lot more fun than skunks. I am looking forward to a good season this year. It will be interesting to see if the lake makes it to "full" this year.

I was pleasantly surprised at how full the other lakes are, even with a dry winter. The carryover from last winter has helped more that I guessed it would.

Come on spring!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad to hear that you are showing Utah Lake some love...even if the feeling is not yet fully reciprocated. Also glad you avoided the stinky kitty.

I am finishing up some projects at home and will probably be heading south in about 2 weeks...time enough to get on the board before the end of March. I still have your lures tucked away and I will let you know when I am coming in your direction...so we can work out a handoff or at least have BLK take temporary custody until you can get together with him. Just make sure you check the inventory to make sure you get all that I brung.

Good to hear the lake has some water in it, with more to come. Sounds like Mama Nature still has some more wet weather in store for us. We can use all she sends. Just wish she would time her hissy fits better...to coincide with time available for fishing.

Keep those fish awake while I am gone. Then I will join you on the water at least a couple of times and we can gang up on them again. Might coordinate with some of the other "Confederates of the South" to have some "Gorilla Floatillas" this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
There were 8-10 boat trailers in the lot around 10. Lots of bank tanglers and a few waders to the south. Spring fishing fever seems to be alive and well at the pond this year.
[signature]
A gorilla flotilla sounds like good plan.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Back in the late 1970s and early 80s I kinda pioneered fishing for cats from a float tube in Utah. Had several guys from the now extinct Anglers' Inn staff who got all wacko about it...and we loosely formed a "Gorilla Club".

I just rummaged around in some of my old files and found the club "charter" I put together then. Had a hoot rereading it and reckymembering some of the good old times.

Those were the days when I caught my PB Utah kitty...at 24#...from Utah Lake. Also caught quite a few from Willard up to about 16#. Ahhh, the good ol' days. Probably have to change some of the weight levels if we were to start it up again.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I will look forward to it! I always try to work on my home projects when the old gal is in a bad mood (mama nature that is[Wink])

Hopefully the water will have warmed a few degrees in the next two weeks.
[signature]