Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
[quote betterthanwork]I just want to make sure that i am understanding the regulations correctly. If i make a weekend trip up there with my wife and 4 kids, does that mean that I can keep 48 Lakers? My boys would flip for that opportunity. I have never been to the Gorge but i recently purchased a boat and look forward to giving it a try this year. It would be nice if there was a Wayne's Words for the Gorge. I have never caught a laker and have no idea where to start. Sounds like i need to start hitting youtube[/quote]

6X8=48 PER trip if you are so lucky, great in the smoker or on the grill.
[signature]
Everything is better in the smoker[Wink]
[signature]
[quote betterthanwork]Everything is better in the smoker[Wink][/quote]

Just about everything.
[signature]
Hey Bob, you're not the only one that has issues with the possession limit. Wyoming doesn't have the 2-day, and that's why the Gorge has been exempt in Utah. Hopefully in 2019, you'll see the lake trout limit at least doubled (for fish <28-inches) and the possession moved to 2-day (lake trout only), allowing anglers to go home with even more fish from either side of the water.

Thanks, Ryno
[signature]
Sorry I haven't kept up with the whole post so forgive if I repeat a topic but the low possession of Kokes and the stupid invasive species as regulated by Wyoming is my biggest reason for not going out very often. Just having to get your boat inspected before you enter the state and pay their high fee for a sticker when I only get to fish there maybe twice a year. Plus the fish aren't a ton better than Bear Lake so I always decide to fish the Bear instead. That's my main reason. Later J
[signature]
[quote betterthanwork]I just want to make sure that i am understanding the regulations correctly. If i make a weekend trip up there with my wife and 4 kids, does that mean that I can keep 48 Lakers?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yes.

Provided everybody 12 years old and older (Utah resident)/14 years old and older (Wyoming resident) have a valid fishing license from one state and a reciprocal fishing permit from the other state if you intend to fish both sides of the state line. And only one Lake Trout per person can be over 28" - so you could keep 6 over 28".

The reciprocal permit would be required for all 14 years old and over Utah license holders. And if you were from Wyoming and were 12 or 13 years old, you wouldn't need a license to fish the Wyoming side, but you would need a reciprocal permit to fish the Utah side. At least, that is what I interpret from reading the rules from both states. WARNING: I've been wrong before on interpreting rules. [Wink]

Just go and have a great time with your family. [Smile] [/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote Ryno]Wyoming doesn't have the 2-day, and that's why the Gorge has been exempt in Utah.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I've heard that before as well. However, it doesn't explain the restriction on Strawberry. And if it is because of the kokanee salmon population, are we going to see a one day limit restriction on Starvation and Jordanelle as well now that they are being stocked with kokanee salmon?[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Lake Powell has no limit on stripers.

Gorge has no limit on burbot.

The idea there is that at both lakes they want people to harvest as many of those two species as possible. What better way to accomplish that than by having no limits?

I still think it’s worth considering no limit on lakers under 24”. If the goal is to have people harvest more the limit should be unlimited or even 50. If they notice that too many are being harvested in 3-5 years they can scale back.

Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
The possession is currently one day on the Gorge in Utah to maintain consistency with Wyoming. I’m sure you can imagine the law enforcement issue with have two different possession regs, leaving the same body of water, where they could be contacted by either state.

The AIS requirements also differ, but you can still launch and fish in Utah, without purchasing the WY AIS decal. The kokes have been siezable in Utah the last few years too, so it’s something to consider.

Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
I’m not exactly sure why Strawberry is exempt, but I doubt it’s the Kokanee limit that drove that decision. I’d guess it’s Cutthroat. Might be worth contacting the Central Region for further clarification. I wouldn’t expect a reduced possession at Starvation though.

Thanks, Ryan
[signature]
Thanks Ryan,
Do you know if I can pull a boat across I-80 through Wyoming and go to the Utah side of the gorge with out buying the Wyoming AIS sticker and getting the seals on the boat from being inspected by Wyoming? If so I just got another reason to try it again this summer. Especially if the koke are getting bigger on the Utah side. We used to fish the canyon section and I sure had fun. Love to do that again. Thanks for the info. Jeff
[signature]
Hey Jeff,

You only need to purchase the decal if you boat on the Wyoming side or in any other WY water. So if you launch and fish the UT side, you're good to go.

If you tow down I80, and the check station is open, you need to stop for inspection. The same would apply for any check station. There are WY certified inspectors along the Wasatch Front, where you could get prior inspection, but if the I80 station is open you would still need to stop and show proof of inspection. It would save you some time though, if that's an issue?

In my experience, it takes only a few minutes to get inspected. Providing there's no issues of course.

Hope that helps, Ryan
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Do you know if I can pull a boat across I-80 through Wyoming and go to the Utah side of the gorge with out buying the Wyoming AIS sticker and getting the seals on the boat from being inspected by Wyoming?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Jeff,[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You don't need the AIS sticker to pull your boat through Wyoming. You only need the sticker if you USE your boat within Wyoming's borders. You DO need to stop at the Wyoming Port of Entry on I-80 to get the free inspection & seal on your boat to transport it in Wyoming. You will be ticketed if caught transporting in Wyoming without it.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Oops! Ryan beat me to it. [Wink][/#800000][/font]

[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks Ryan, is that the same type inspection you get going into Bear Lake? If so that's not a big deal. Thanks I think I'll try the gorge this summer. Maybe in May before the hay crop hits. Thank you J
[signature]
Thanks Bob, do you need the seal on the boat or just your book marked? Thanks J
[signature]
I would have kept all I could yesterday if the darn wind hadn't forced me off the reservoir before I had a chance to catch any.
[signature]
Yes, its a very similar inspection to that which are done to boats entering the Bear Lake valley. I am a certified WY inspector, so if you come through Bear Lake on the way to the Gorge, I'd be happy to inspect your boat and apply a seal so you can transport in WY. This works well for angler who head through Bear Lake in the evenings, after the WY check stations are closed for the day.
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Thanks Bob, do you need the seal on the boat or just your book marked? Thanks J[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I don't know anything about a book. Wyoming threads a wire through the bow hook on your boat and through the winch and then clamps the wire ends together. You leave it there until you get through the state or launch the boat in Wyoming. If you launch in Wyoming, remove the wire at the launch and put it in the boat. They give you a carbon copy of the paperwork as well. Keep both in the boat after you launch the boat in Wyoming.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
That sort of worries me about a trip down there. I hit the wind at Bear Lake too often that ruins my trip. Guess I better watch the weather report really close before going. Thanks J
[signature]
That would be great Scott, I'll give ya a call when we try to head out. Thanks for letting me know. Jeff
[signature]