Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with depth finder
When I bought my boat he used a humminbird depth finder. He left the transducer and wiring but kept his finder and I just bought a $200 unit. It worked great last year using the everything he had on but the last 2 Tripp’s it seems to go in and out of accuracy. It says ill be in 18-20 fow when I’m only in 2-3. Could this be the transducer. I have the one that came with mine and I thought and just swapping them out to see if that fixes the problem, but wanted to get some suggestions if that could be it.
[signature]
[quote Mooseman75]When I bought my boat he used a humminbird depth finder. He left the transducer and wiring but kept his finder and I just bought a $200 unit. It worked great last year using the everything he had on but the last 2 Tripp’s it seems to go in and out of accuracy. It says ill be in 18-20 fow when I’m only in 2-3. Could this be the transducer. I have the one that came with mine and I thought and just swapping them out to see if that fixes the problem, but wanted to get some suggestions if that could be it.[/quote]

Should be instructions on how to do a reset and/or way to select the transducer in the menu somewhere, this is after you double check your mounting and wiring. The other day I discovered I had the incorrect transducer selected on my Lowrance and was only functioning on one bandwidth.
[signature]
Did you get it working or just installed your other one? Mine will act like that at times when I'm going full speed but it works fine a trolling speed or around there. Another thing that could affect it is if the cable has been damaged, like something sharp has hit the cable. I found a spot like that on my old Fisheagle finder, I ended up having to repair that cable but it works fine now but it's my backup, so I don't use it much.
[signature]
Someone told me theirs does it near rock if the sensitivity is to high and and it’s on dual band width. Something about echo return off the rocks and hard bottoms it was just bouncing back and forth from the transducer. So the next time I went out I turned my sensitivity from 7 to 2 and band width from 83/200 to just 83 MHz. It helped. When I’m in the shallows I’m getting accurate readings which is what I needed for bird island so I can creep up there lol. But anyway the guy said in deeper waters I’m fine to turn up the sensitivity and change the band width. It’s just in the shallows it get the echo return. Thanks for checking up on me. I forgot to post this
[signature]