Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need fins, what to buy?
[font "Arial"][size 3]My son got a tube for Christmas, no fins though. It wont be long before the ice is gone. So what are the best fins to get with out going broke? Thanks for any info. [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]Troutboy[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]If you go to some of the back pages...by clicking on the numbers and then scrolling through the old posts, you will find several threads where we have discussed fins.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The fins should actually be the last thing you buy...after waders and maybe some booties to go between the waders and the fins. Once you know how much bulk you are going to have to fit in the fins, you can try the fins on before you buy them, and not get them too small.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are some fins that can be strapped on over wading shoes. There are others that are designed for divers and have a full foot pocket. Not as good for tubing. Most seasoned tubers prefer the diving fins with adjustable heel straps. You can find some models of these fairly cheap at Walmart and other sports outlets...expecially in kids sizes. When you get into the bigger sizes, you may have to buy through a dive shop or online divers outlet.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Again, take your waders and booties when you go looking for fins...or get some you can exchange if necessary. It is very important that they fit tightly enough to not come off, but not so tight that they restrict circulation and cause foot cramps and cold feet.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Get back to us if you want to get an opinion on something you are considering.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hey there troutboy,

If you're interested in getting the 'right fins' for the boy and or yourself, you need to heed TubeDudes advice. That is, go to our Tube archives.

Some of the cheapest fins I've found are at thrift stores in my area but I live in southern California were you can get some outrageous deals for seasonal stuff! Like $1.00 for fins that are OK.

The more you tube, the more you understand what's best for you! Still, TubeDude knows best if you give him good input!

JapanRon
[signature]
[url "http://www.sierratradingpost.com/prod_list_display_special.asp?dept_id=L1%7E4302&special_type=bargain%5Fbarn"][size 1]http://www.sierratradingpost.com/prod_list_display_special.asp?dept_id=L1%7E4302&special_type=bargain%5Fbarn[/size][/url][size 1] [/size]

i saw a pair here a while back .
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Thanks for the input. He is still saving his allowance. It won't be long now and we will have to decide which fins to buy.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Thanks, Troutboy[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Just remember, it is best to try before you buy...if that is possible. Otherwise, make sure you can return or exchange them. You DO need to be comfortable, and fins that are too small will quickly kill the enjoyment of a fishing trip.[/size][/blue]
[signature]
The affordable priced model I like is the Turbo Fins you can buy at Sportsman's Warehouse for around $30. They are longer and thinner than the short fat black fins that are labeled as float tube fins. These fins are adjustable and have a heel strap that is easy on and off. I get a lot more thrust out of these fins than I ever can from the short black stubbies. The ones I have seen are white with a black foot part. Well worth the $30 in my opinion for ones he can adjust and are very comfortable.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I have long preferred the longer and thinner fins to the short and wide ones.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the attached pic, there are three pairs of the Mares Plana Avanti fins. The ones on the outside are over 20 years old, and have been all over the US. The two inside pair are the ones I got online recently for about $45 a pair. They have a superior buckle arrangement that allows for one button alteration of strap tension. I wear the black ones and TubeBabe wears the pretty blue ones.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]I don't understand why everyone always recommends the cheapest product available. If you want quality and endurance one might want to spend the extra few dolars.
[signature]
Sometimes the cheaper products can work just as well as some more expensive NAME BRANDS. I agree with Tube Dude that longer skinnier fins work better than short fatties. The $30 pair I wrote about look like the ones in TD's pictures other than color. They also have a one button adjustment and are very easy and comfortable. My friend has the same pair and he has used it for over 15 years. If I can buy cheap that are this good and will last $15 years I will buy it.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]NUFF SAID. If you can get what you want and need at a better price, that's a NO BRAINER.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am sure that what DryRod was referring to is the tendency on some of the boards to promote a cheap price rather than quality and long-lasting workmanship. We see this all the time in some elements of our tubing game. That is especially true when it comes to waders. You can buy a cheap pair, and have to keep patching them over a one to two year period, before they really fall apart. Or, you can pay more for good waders, and use them for years without any problems.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the areas of buying cheap that really gets me going is in buying line. Some guys buy the cheapest line they can find and then swear at it when they keep breaking off all the large fish they hook. False economy to save a couple of bucks on something as important as the vital link between you and the fish.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Coming from a relatively poor family, I have always tried to be a frugal shopper myself. But, I learned a long time ago that GOOD THINGS ARE SELDOM CHEAP...AND CHEAP THINGS ARE SELDOM GOOD. You usually spend a fair amount in time, money and other resources even for a short range fishing trip. Why risk the total experience simply to save a dollar or two on vital components of the fishing experience. [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]Ah my friend and well said. That is why my books have never sold. It is beside the point that I have never written one. Be it cheap [junky] fishing line or pole & reel they will only last you for so long. Now I have seen guys that were supposedly cheap pay $150 for a pair of sneakers just to have bragging rights. Me I will get a $29 pair at the Big5 which will last me several years. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I would usually agree with you on you get what you pay for. In this case though the fins are for my ten year old son. Not much chance of his shoe size staying the same size for very long. So endurance is not a big problem.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Troutboy [/size][/font]
[signature]
My wife has small feet and I have big feet. We both wore the Turbo thrust or whatever in the heck they are called fins. She obviously can't kick as hard as I can but with these fins she did great. The fins that TD referred to I have heard a lot of good about as well and they are adjustable. Adjustable and long lasting makes for a good deal for a 10 year old growing like a weed boy.

As far as what Dryrod said about expense and quality, I did agree with him even though it didn't sound like it. I am the world's biggest cheap skate, penny pincher, and several times have kicked myself in the butt for buying cheap stuff. I still have a hard time paying the big bucks for the nicer stuff but some day when I have more money to spend I will definitely look more into the high end fishing stuff. For now though I am happy with my cheap poles, reels, and other stuff. As long as I get to fish I am a happy camper.
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]Hi there troutboy,[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]I was just generalizing with my remarks. I undersatnd what you are saying with reference to a young boy's feet growing. He will probably out grow all of his shoes by the end of summer. Aren't there inexpensive [didn't say cheap] adjustable fins around? My dad would have given me a couple of slats and some string and say "never say that I never gave you anything!" [not really true][/size][/#800000]
[signature]