Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old (young) to learn to flyfishing?
[font "Arial"][size 3]What is good age to start to teach children flyfishing? Any equipment recommendations? Will be fishing in Utah in streams and from a tube in lakes and ponds.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]Thanks, Troutboy[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, TB, my personal opinion is that there is no specific age to introduce younguns to fishing. However, I might suggest starting them with a cane pole and bobber before handing them a fancy fly rod. get them turned on to being on the water and catching fish first. Then move them into the advanced stuff.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have seen fathers that tried to start kids on flinging dry flies, only to get frustrated and upset when the kid couldn't master the rhythm or keep from snapping off flies. Of course that creates a negative experience for the kid and they would rather do almost anything than go with Dad and get yelled at again.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I had helped each of my three kids catch their first fish before the age of six. Each learned to enjoy the group trips we made...and treasure the indibidual trips I tried to set up with each one by themselves from time to time. If you work it right, they remember and treasure the total togetherness experience, and the fishing is only a part of it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most kids do not develop either the strength or coordination to be able to properly wave a fairy wand until they are at least 8 or 10. Some folks never do. But, if a young person is well based in fishing, and makes the decision on their own that they want to learn how to fly fish, the rest is not too difficult.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have taught fly fishing to both young people and adults. It has been my experience that they do better if they have a chance to get the feel of their tackle and practice the basics before they actually hit the water. This usually means a few trips to a park or other large grassy area...with few trees...where they can practice and observe their casts and work on their rhythm.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The next step is to move to a pond...with no trees to catch the backcasts. Practice with a fly, and if there are sunfish or small trout to play with, so much the better. Only when they can control their line and make a reasonable presentation should they be subjected to the frustrations of floating a fly down moving water...or flailing around in a float tube.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]For lightweight kids, I would set them up with an 8 foot for a 5 weight to start. This will handle a fair amount of line...without tiring them out or requiring too much finesse. A three weight is lighter, but does require more skill to operate effectively. Don't spend a lot on the first rod or reel, but make sure you get a line that balances the outfit. It is tough enough to learn fly fishing without fighting a mismatched line.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I always like to start kids on bluegills. If you can find some, they will usually smack any fly that is not too big for them. Of course, freshly planted rainbows can do the job nicely too, and kids don't know the difference between them and wild trout.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]A good assortment of small and durable nymphs will get them started. You might carry a few foam bugs or small poppers too. Don't worry about size 22 dries and floatant. That's still a ways in the future.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Above all else, have fun with the kids. Don't keep them out so long they get worn out, but don't drag them away too soon if the fish are biting and they are really getting into it. I had more than a few trips when I sat in the car, with the motor running, hearing young voices coming out of the dark..."One more cast, Dad".[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 3]Thanks for the info. I too have a real excuse for not being home on time when fishing. It's the kids not me, they would not stop fishing. I think its time to get a fly rod for the oldest one now.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]Thanks, Troutboy[/size][/font]
[signature]
Sometimes I will attach about 18" to 2' of yarn on the end of a schiska-bob (sp) stick and have people practice with that for a bit. It takes a similar rhythm and they can watch the "line" on the back and forward casts.

For more advanced fly-flingers, try to cast a yard of yarn off of a schiska-bob stick. It's harder than one would think.

Best of luck!

ES
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Not mentioning any names, but some of us would probably catch just as many fish with the phony outfit as with real tackle.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]When I taught fly fishing I would start folks off with a 2 foot length of light wooden dowel and some yarn. You are right. it takes skill to work the short length of yarn, because of the air resistance. It is much like trying to work thirty or forty feet of line.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]