Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly tying Expo
I laid down my $10 to attend the fly fishing and tying exposition today, with it being rainy and friday it was a good day to go.
Plenty of good tyres there demonstrating various flies and techniques many of them utilising materials they had for sale and willing to give out samples.
I liked that you sat down right across the table from the tyres and talked directly to them while they tied rather than a theatre situation where a guy is just tying for the camera while you sit in the audience.
Some lodges a few guides, Forest Service director of the Mill Creek restoration project; I picked his brain for a while...USAC to get you up to speed on that front.
All in all a worthwhile show
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am going today.
[signature]
I went Friday. Many outstanding tiers. I thought this was a great Fly Tying Expo etc.
[signature]
I went both days. Almost ninety vendors. Great tyers. Fantastic free classes as well as the paid schooling. They do a great job and raise money for worthy projects. Remember this event for next April!
[signature]
I was there on Saturday and attended the Brian Chan/Chironomids workshop. Try to do 1-2 workshops every year.

I missed last year due to travel, but the show itself seemed to be about twice the size from 2016. Also seems like more big name anglers/tyers are being drawn to this event.

Hope it continues to grow. Already stoked for 2019, although I wish they could make it a Sat-Sun event vs Fri-Sat.
[signature]
If changed last year. They started charging more money and added the free workshops. Jack Dennis now lives at Day Break and he had some influence on some of the changes and bringing new vendors. The fly casting competition now has a $3,000 grand prize for both men and woman. They used the complete arena, where in the past they had a large portion in the back empty and used it for casting demo area.
[signature]
I was sitting just behind you in Brian's chironomid class, I do believe.

Jeff Wagner
[signature]
[quote guitarfisher]

I was sitting just behind you in Brian's chironomid class, I do believe.

Jeff Wagner

[/quote]

Excellent class I thought. I was taking copious notes... I don't think I stopped to look around until it was over! [sly]
[signature]
Can you guys share a few pointers from those notes?
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]

Can you guys share a few pointers from those notes?

[/quote]

Do you fish/tie chironomids now? If not, I would strongly recommend the following DVD... it was a game changer for me: https://www.amazon.com/Conquering-Chiron...B00ENT54HS

The flies themselves are not difficult to tie, but there are subtleties in their design that make some more effective than others. The real tricks are in the techniques applied to fishing them. I've been at it for a few years now (still learning) so the notes that I jotted down were things new to me. I'll look through them tonight.

Now (ice out) through mid June is prime time for chironomid activity. This table (presented by Brian) really tells the story for lake dwelling trout:
[Image: img_chart_spring_l.jpg]
[signature]
That chart was the "AHA" moment for me.
[signature]